• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ThePythonicCow
    replied
    Re: Obama too timid?

Originally posted by babbittd View Post

honest question - is this photoshopped? I don't have a clue about that stuff.
    I have a hunch that that is not a bow of greeting, but rather the Saudi King placing a crown of sorts on Bush's head.

I have a vague memory that such actually happened.

Leave a comment:

• Slimprofits
    replied

honest question - is this photoshopped? I don't have a clue about that stuff.

Leave a comment:

• ThePythonicCow
    replied

Originally posted by HisHighnessDog View Post
    Imagine a Japanese or Chinese official flying across the world only to NOT shake the hands of their US hosts. It would come across to the US hosts as either (at best) cluelessly uncivilized or (at worst) incredibly rude. Bowing is how these people shake hands. Anyone who has spent a day in business over there knows this.
    If we had any other examples of national leaders bowing, whether Anglo leaders bowing to Oriental leaders, or vice versa, then I might appreciate your remarks more.

Heck, even in the pictures we see of Obama bowing, observe that the other leader is standing upright.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Imagine a Japanese or Chinese official flying across the world only to NOT shake the hands of their US hosts. It would come across to the US hosts as either (at best) cluelessly uncivilized or (at worst) incredibly rude. Bowing is how these people shake hands. Anyone who has spent a day in business over there knows this.

Originally posted by flintlock View Post
    I'm no big fan of Obama, but I've never bought into the bowing criticism. Nor the criticism that his going around apologizing makes him some sort of wussy. We could use a little humility these days. I think Obama is just trying to be courteous. Does anyone really think he feels subservient to some of these foreign leaders? Its a way of trying to disarm and put at ease the other person. He is very aware of George W Bush's cocky cowboy image and is probably going overboard trying to impress foreign leaders with the fact that he is not the same way. There's plenty of better stuff to skewer Obama with than the "wimp" badge.

Leave a comment:

• flintlock
    replied

I'm no big fan of Obama, but I've never bought into the bowing criticism. Nor the criticism that his going around apologizing makes him some sort of wussy. We could use a little humility these days. I think Obama is just trying to be courteous. Does anyone really think he feels subservient to some of these foreign leaders? Its a way of trying to disarm and put at ease the other person. He is very aware of George W Bush's cocky cowboy image and is probably going overboard trying to impress foreign leaders with the fact that he is not the same way. There's plenty of better stuff to skewer Obama with than the "wimp" badge.

Leave a comment:

• touchring
    replied

Having lived in Asia for almost 4 years (including Japan) I can tell you that bowing is a sign of respect, not subservience. It is their version of hand shaking. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your narrative.

They bow in Japan and Korea, but I've not seen people bow in other parts of Asia, particularly so to peers of equal status. Nodding and lowering of head yes, but definitely not the kind of bow where you bend down as low as Obama does.
    Last edited by touchring; September 13, 2010, 12:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Really?! I didn't see that coming!

Leave a comment:

• Raz
    replied

I think I'll infer that they have little respect for him.

And neither do I.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Raz View Post
    Since no one seems to have produced pictures showing any of these dignitaries bowing to Obama,
    can I infer that they felt no need to show him any corresponding respect?
    You can infer that you haven't seen those pictures.

Leave a comment:

• Raz
    replied

Having lived in Asia for almost 4 years (including Japan) I can tell you that bowing is a sign of respect, not subservience. It is their version of hand shaking. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your narrative.
    Since no one seems to have produced pictures showing any of these dignitaries bowing to Obama,
    can I infer that they felt no need to show him any corresponding respect?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by touchring View Post
    Obama seems to be working for the UN.

Body language is important, bowing like that is wimpish.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3562[/ATTACH]

Last edited by FRED; September 12, 2010, 02:46 PM. Reason: No name calling here, please. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• touchring
    replied

Originally posted by doom&gloom View Post
    That kind of stuff is just BS. I could care less about it. I care about "the money" as in how he is handling the deficit, the debt, the economy, the appointments who help him run the nation, etc. The rest is superflous. he can bow to anyone he wants for all I care, and stay on a 365 day/yr vacation if he makes things hum and gets things moving again. Unfortunately, just like Bush, this Admin will remain a kleptocracy staffed by village idiots who won't swim against the tide of really big money and influence. No hope, no change, no way.

My take is that it will probably end in WWIII within two decades. If you're having a male child right now, you should be mentally prepared that your son maybe conscripted - this time real war involving millions of troops from each side - not shooting insurgents or moslem groups at a distance from Apache or tanks.
    Last edited by touchring; September 12, 2010, 12:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• doom&gloom
    replied

That kind of stuff is just BS. I could care less about it. I care about "the money" as in how he is handling the deficit, the debt, the economy, the appointments who help him run the nation, etc. The rest is superflous. he can bow to anyone he wants for all I care, and stay on a 365 day/yr vacation if he makes things hum and gets things moving again. Unfortunately, just like Bush, this Admin will remain a kleptocracy staffed by village idiots who won't swim against the tide of really big money and influence. No hope, no change, no way.

Leave a comment:

• touchring
    replied

Obama seems to be working for the UN.

Body language is important, bowing like that is wimpish.

obama-bows-chinese-premier.jpg

Last edited by touchring; September 12, 2010, 01:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• doom&gloom
    replied

no metter really, the new village idiot to join the team will make sure it all keeps sinking -- goooooooooOOOOO! Golsby!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X