Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weak Dollar Policy hits US trade partners, recession nears

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Weak Dollar Policy hits US trade partners, recession nears



    AntiSpin: Recession? Really? With millions of homeowners facing foreclosure, ARM resets, and other problems, who could have guessed?

    "There is a growing concern for an economic recession in the United States,'' said Toru Umemoto, chief currency strategist at Barclays Bank Plc, citing the spillover effect of the U.S. subprime mortgage crisis into consumption in the United States.

    Umemoto also warned that the housing slump will also have a downside effect on employment, as seen in large-scale layoffs by major U.S. financial institutions including Bank of America Corp.'s announcement Wednesday to cut 3000 employees.
    This next story is consistent with our observation of a trend change in the duration of unemployment: a rising mean as occurs before recessions.



    ...certain to raise concerns about whether the severe slump in housing and a serious credit crunch were beginning to adversely affect the overall economy.
    AntiSpin: Here are a bunch more downward revisions to past data releases. As an economy heads into recession, downward revisions are like cockroaches–never just one.

    There were sizable downward revisions to sales totals for August, July and June. Those revisions show that housing was much weaker than believed in the middle of the year. In addition, sales of new homes were down 23.3 percent from September, 2006.
    Other new reports showed economic weakness. The Commerce Department said durable goods orders fell 1.7 percent in September. The result was weaker than the 1.5 percent gain expected by economists, but marked an improvement over a 5.3 percent plunge in August.

    The two straight months of orders slowdowns mirrors national manufacturing softness and suggests that problems in housing won't be offset by business spending, according to Ian Shepherdson, Chief U.S. Economist at High Frequency Economics.

    Claims for state unemployment benefits last week fell by 8,000 to 331,000, but the more reliable four-week average reached its highest level in seven weeks, the Labor Department said. Economists expected a larger drop in the latest week.
    AntiSpin: This recession is going to go down as the most obvious recession never predicted.

    Meanwhile, the Weak Dollar Policy is chipping away at export-based economies whose currencies, unlike China's, are not tied to the dollar. Korea, for example.




    AntiSpin: And Germany...



    AntiSpin: In fact, all of Europe is starting so slow down as the strong euro policy loses out to the weak dollar policy.



    AntiSpin: How much longer will US trade partners tolerate the US keeping its post-housing bubble economy alive on the backs of its trade partners? Some euro members have housing bubbles of their own to deal with. Seems the only one that's doing well is the one that isn't following the rules: China.

    Last edited by FRED; 10-25-07, 08:48 PM.
    Ed.

  • #2
    Re: Weak Dollar Policy hits US trade partners, recession nears

    Sounds like projections are coming to fruition.

    Also wanted to note that I'm not sure what you guys are doing with those ads, but it made it harder to concentrate and read the post. (BTW I'm not criticizing the use of ads in the post, just that they interrupted the message more than is acceptable. I don't get that distracted reading a marketwatch, FT, forbes, or yahoo article that all have similar ads in them. Plus it made the thread load a helluva lot slower.)

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Weak Dollar Policy hits US trade partners, recession nears

      Originally posted by DemonD View Post
      Sounds like projections are coming to fruition.

      Also wanted to note that I'm not sure what you guys are doing with those ads, but it made it harder to concentrate and read the post. (BTW I'm not criticizing the use of ads in the post, just that they interrupted the message more than is acceptable. I don't get that distracted reading a marketwatch, FT, forbes, or yahoo article that all have similar ads in them. Plus it made the thread load a helluva lot slower.)
      You may have noticed we got rid of the Amazon context links, by popular request. (No one complained when we removed them a few weeks ago!) We are trying an experiment with using Mochila syndicated content. The good news: you get to read the whole story here that we comment on in News with AntiSpin rather than having to go off to another site. The bad news: that convenience comes at the cost of an embedded ad, and the ads are very LOUD, as you say. Perhaps we can improve on them somehow.

      Thanks for the feedback. Other feedback welcomed.
      Ed.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Weak Dollar Policy hits US trade partners, recession nears

        Originally posted by Fred View Post
        Y
        Thanks for the feedback. Other feedback welcomed.
        Ads that move or flash are VERY distracting.
        raja
        Boycott Big Banks Vote Out Incumbents

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Weak Dollar Policy hits US trade partners, recession nears

          Get Firefox with Flashblock plugin - no more annoying ads. On any site. I do not mind picture ads, but flash is just way over the top. I just block it.
          Firefox can also block pictures and pop-ups from any site you want.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Weak Dollar Policy hits US trade partners, recession nears

            Originally posted by raja View Post
            Ads that move or flash are VERY distracting.
            It is an odd choice of ads by Mochila. You'd think they'd try to match the ad to the content. The Flash (video) based whack-a-mole and cow tipping ads are better suited to a younger audience. Our audience is mostly over 40 years old. The singles ads don't figure, either.

            We'll see how it goes. Maybe the ads will improve. Thanks again for the feedback.
            Ed.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Weak Dollar Policy hits US trade partners, recession nears

              i just want to second blackvoid's recommendation of firefox. i use the adblock extension and until i read the comments, i wasn't even aware there were pictures, let alone flash, associated with those ads.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Weak Dollar Policy hits US trade partners, recession nears

                Originally posted by jk View Post
                i just want to second blackvoid's recommendation of firefox. i use the adblock extension and until i read the comments, i wasn't even aware there were pictures, let alone flash, associated with those ads.
                Here at iTUlip we use a Firefox plugin called NoScript for security reasons. Recommended.
                Ed.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Weak Dollar Policy hits US trade partners, recession nears

                  I'm well aware that you need to run ads to generate revenue, but IMHO these ads are annoying and cheapen the message. I did find it a little funny on a site that highlights the growing divide between the wealthy and the working class to see 4 ads to visit the Biltmore house. At first I thought the ad was a joke.

                  Another new issue, possibly related to the Mochilla transition: Safari browser no longer works. When you roll your mouse over any of the links or buttons, the links disappear! I have tried 2 different Macs and get the exact same behavior on both. I'm now using Firefox, which works and can also block the ads.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Weak Dollar Policy hits US trade partners, recession nears

                    Originally posted by jimmygu3 View Post
                    I'm well aware that you need to run ads to generate revenue, but IMHO these ads are annoying and cheapen the message. I did find it a little funny on a site that highlights the growing divide between the wealthy and the working class to see 4 ads to visit the Biltmore house. At first I thought the ad was a joke.

                    Another new issue, possibly related to the Mochilla transition: Safari browser no longer works. When you roll your mouse over any of the links or buttons, the links disappear! I have tried 2 different Macs and get the exact same behavior on both. I'm now using Firefox, which works and can also block the ads.
                    Not so much running ads to generate revenue as running news stories and commenting on them in the iTulip News with AntiSpin way. Readers have complained about having to go off to other sites to read the story we're writing about. This way we can print the whole article. The downside is the ads. Frankly, I liked tipping the cow over... but that's just me.
                    Ed.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Weak Dollar Policy hits US trade partners, recession nears

                      Originally posted by jimmygu3 View Post
                      I'm well aware that you need to run ads to generate revenue, but IMHO these ads are annoying and cheapen the message. I did find it a little funny on a site that highlights the growing divide between the wealthy and the working class to see 4 ads to visit the Biltmore house. At first I thought the ad was a joke.

                      Another new issue, possibly related to the Mochilla transition: Safari browser no longer works. When you roll your mouse over any of the links or buttons, the links disappear! I have tried 2 different Macs and get the exact same behavior on both. I'm now using Firefox, which works and can also block the ads.
                      The worst one is the REAL DOW slooooooow load on the Home Page...Now, that is seriously annoying every time I logon to iTulip.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Weak Dollar Policy hits US trade partners, recession nears

                        Originally posted by Charles Mackay View Post
                        The worst one is the REAL DOW slooooooow load on the Home Page...Now, that is seriously annoying every time I logon to iTulip.
                        I bookmarked the Forums page to avoid that.

                        Surprised that people have complained about going off-site to read the full articles. It's not like you have to drive to another bookstore, it's just one click. I prefer a short snippet of the essence of the article, and a link to the full thing if I want to read all of it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Weak Dollar Policy hits US trade partners, recession nears

                          Hmmm...

                          I always thought that iTulip was raking in tons of cash by licensing their patented "Spinning Head Technology".... :p

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Weak Dollar Policy hits US trade partners, recession nears

                            Originally posted by zoog View Post
                            I bookmarked the Forums page to avoid that.

                            Surprised that people have complained about going off-site to read the full articles. It's not like you have to drive to another bookstore, it's just one click. I prefer a short snippet of the essence of the article, and a link to the full thing if I want to read all of it.
                            Well why didn't ya say so? We just removed the offending code from the front page.

                            We'll keep tweaking. Thanks again. The feedback is great.
                            Ed.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Weak Dollar Policy hits US trade partners, recession nears

                              Originally posted by Hypatia1 View Post
                              Hmmm...

                              I always thought that iTulip was raking in tons of cash by licensing their patented "Spinning Head Technology".... :p
                              US Patent # 345,463,678,879 (not really)
                              Ed.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X