Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The committee to destroy the USA - Eric Janszen

Originally posted by ThePythonicCow View Post
    Japan is America's dog - has been since 1945.
    Off the leash. “click”
    http://www.itulip.com/forums/showthr...10027#poststop

Comment

Originally posted by ThePythonicCow View Post
      Your post may be one of the most prescient posts of the week, touchring.

Japan is America's dog - has been since 1945. China knows this. China is not an erratic novice making foolish moves it can not or will not follow through on.

I do not see how this can end well for Pax Americana.

Japan is the weakest link right now in the coalition. China does buy Japanese exports so Japan is heavily reliant on the Chinese market.

Comment

Great piece, EJ!

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
        Even as we get into record nominal prices, in the last couple of months I have heard not a single well reasoned critique for being in Gold.

Not one.

It's all ad-hominem ("all you gold bugs expect an apocalypse; you're all bloody vicious thugs")

or sloganeering ("you can't eat Gold")

or tired old reasons that are being proved wrong or inconsequential ("Gold pays no dividend") (but my dividends and/or my dividend paying investments are all down over the last couple of years)
        I don't think you need "single well reasoned critique for being in Gold". Gold is the default asset, what you have when you don't have reasons for being in other things. Or when you have reasons not to be in other things.

Think about it. What if stocks are overvalued and the economic outlook is cloudy. And what if bonds are even more overvalued? (e.g. 1.x% on five year notes and 2.x% on ten year notes, from an issuer that is effectively broke). And what if the Fed is printing money like the dickens trying to devalue your cash and punish savers? Currencies are in competitive devaluation. And what if on top of all that, commodity futures are in deep contango (i.e. overvalued).

In short, the outlook for every liquid investment asset class stinks? That's what you have gold for. There's no reliable way to value it; you don't have dividend yields, book values, PE ratios, etc. to go by. Instead you value everything else, and if everything else out there looks high, then by the process of elimination you have gold.

It's everything else you need an affirmative investment rationale for. If you can't find one, go for gold.
        Finster

Comment

Originally posted by Finster View Post
          Great piece, EJ!

I don't think you need "single well reasoned critique for being in Gold". Gold is the default asset, what you have when you don't have reasons for being in other things. Or when you have reasons not to be in other things.

Think about it. What if stocks are overvalued and the economic outlook is cloudy. And what if bonds are even more overvalued? (e.g. 1.x% on five year notes and 2.x% on ten year notes, from an issuer that is effectively broke). And what if the Fed is printing money like the dickens trying to devalue your cash and punish savers? Currencies are in competitive devaluation. And what if on top of all that, commodity futures are in deep contango (i.e. overvalued).

In short, the outlook for every liquid investment asset class stinks? That's what you have gold for. There's no reliable way to value it; you don't have dividend yields, book values, PE ratios, etc. to go by. Instead you value everything else, and if everything else out there looks high, then by the process of elimination you have gold.

It's everything else you need an affirmative investment rationale for. If you can't find one, go for gold.
          Gold is home for capital.

“Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in.”
          — Robert Frost

Comment

Nothing has replaced Gold throughout the entire history of the planet. At every juncture, Gold comes out as the one asset everyone can rely upon; everyone accepts; never refused. Gold is the one asset, when you have to go there; no one will ever refuse to accept as fair exchange for what ever you need. Spartacus needs to read The PostCatastrophe Economy.

Comment

Originally posted by EJ View Post
              If home values are permitted to decline another 20% to pre-bubble levels, and mortgages are written down to pre-bubble levels, US households will have approximately $1 trillion dollars more to spend annually.
              Seen this?

via The Big Picture

http://www.politico.com/static/PPM17...6_amherst.html

Amherst Securities Group
              Amherst Mortgage Insight

October 1, 2010
              MBS Strategy Group
              Laurie Goodman / lgoodman@asglp.com / 212.593.6026
              Roger Ashworth / rashworth@asglp.com / 212.593.6095
              Brian Landy, CFA / blandy@asglp.com / 212.593.6094
              Lidan Yang, CFA / lyang@asglp.com / 212.593.6093

The Housing Crisis—Sizing the Problem,
              Proposing Solutions

This article summarizes the size and scope of the housing crisis, making the point that if governmental policy does not change, one borrower out of every 5 is in danger of losing his/her home. A crisis of this order of magnitude requires both supply and demand side measures. On the supply side, a successful modification is critical. This will require principal reductions to re-equify the borrower. The moral hazard (strategic default) issues must be addressed by first recognizing that this is an economic issue, not a moral one. Second liens must also be addressed. As supply side measures alone are likely to prove insufficient to address a crisis of this size, we discuss demand side measures to increase the buyer base.

[..]

Our take—we believe the government needs a mandatory program that forgives principal on the 1st lien and substantially eliminates the 2nd lien. Voluntary programs won't work. The idea of earning the reduction over time is appealing. We like the PRA in which principal is initially forborne, then forgiven over a 3-year period, with 1/3 of the amount forgiven each year. We would make it a mandatory first step in any modification, rather than part of a voluntary program.

Comment

Originally posted by EJ View Post
                The answer is, I don't know, but I am convinced that the second bounce will end lower than the first, the third lower than the second, and so on until we, as a country, get our act together.
                The S&P 500 is now higher than it was in April 2010. Presumably, it shouldn't go much higher from here, if your prediction is too hold.

Not trying to have a go here, or anything, but would be interested in any feedback regarding the state of play.

Comment

Working...
                X