Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Political Science

Originally posted by Raz View Post
    Upon what facts do you make such an assertion?
    Tell me, do you think "science" is any more fact based? Ultimately, ALL of it is based in faith.... science, mathemetics, God.
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge ~D Boorstin

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsman View Post
      Ponerize? Sorry, what's that?
      When something or someone has become "Ponerized" in its strictest sense, it means that the person or group can no longer make the distinction between healthy and pathological thought processes and logic. One is no longer able to draw a line between correct thinking and deviate thinking. So, when you ponerize society you make it deviant, and therefore less likely to operate in accordance with established rules, hence, making it easier manipulate. Love your avatar, by the way
      The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge ~D Boorstin

Comment

Originally posted by BadJuju View Post
        Since the Bible is the one making the argument that it happened, then the burden of proof is on it. And there isn't any. It is a book of lies and fairy tales.
        There are definitely fairy tales in there. They are the as means of educating people. Most could not read. These stories had to be read aloud or by memory. And, they had to be interesting, no? We teach morals with Hollywood movies these days. They did it with stories.

Jesus did exist. This is historical fact.

And, if our "Christian" country actually followed his teachings, we would be in a lot better place. Which makes me hate religion even more since it is all hypocritical nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie View Post
          Tell me, do you think "science" is any more fact based? Ultimately, ALL of it is based in faith.... science, mathemetics, God.
          Science explains things,not everything of course, but many things. You can see it. You can feel it. You can experiment with it.
          I am not sure what your point is. You have mentioned science before without explanation. It can and should have nothing to do with religion. Are you just calling it another religion?

Comment

Originally posted by charliebrown View Post
            Ouch Juju ...
            I am sorry, charlie, but Raz just brings out a bad side in me. I am usually much more restrained, but sometimes he just really gets under my skin with his comments and if it comes at the wrong time, I just get angry. So I apologize.

Comment

I am sorry, charlie, but Raz just brings out a bad side in me. I am usually much more restrained, but sometimes he just really gets under my skin with his comments and if it comes at the wrong time, I just get angry. So I apologize.
              If I may (gingerly) step in this minefield, I'd like to tell you a story. I am not a Christian, I'm a Sikh. That's neither here nor there, except I've experienced more than my share of condescension and rudeness from Christians who felt it was their place to tell me I was going to hell if I didn't believe as they did. Not all Christians are like that, but the ones that are sort of make me gunshy of the others. I've also known a few Christians who really walk their talk, and do a lot more walking than talking. Truly loving people. But overall I avoided the card-carrying, hardcore Christians for many years. I mistrusted them.

Then I got cancer. It was an enlightening experience. Many of my non-Christian friends were not there for me. They judged me, blamed me for being sick. Told me in various ways that I must have brought it on myself through either lifestyle choices or mental attitiude. The nearest I could figure out, they were scared to death of getting cancer themselves. They thought if they could pin the blame on me rather than think it was out of my control, then they might be able to live "better" and control their own outcome- not get cancer. Magical thinking. Not kind at all.

At that time I belonged to a local rose society- a gardening club. Most of those people were Christians, a lot of them what we would call rednecks. Good, countrified dirt gardeners with hick accents. Churchgoing folk. Without fail, they were there for me. Offering me help, offering me food, offering to pray... It forever changed my opinion of conservative Christians.

Raz and I don't see eye to eye on religion, but I know him to be kind and respect him for being principle-centered. I would feel safe having him for a neighbor, and I think that if TSHTF he would have my back as I would have his. I can't say the same for many people who may seem to be nicer but are actually driven by fear and anger.

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

Originally posted by aaron View Post
                Science explains things,not everything of course, but many things. You can see it. You can feel it. You can experiment with it. I am not sure what your point is. You have mentioned science before without explanation. It can and should have nothing to do with religion. Are you just calling it another religion?
                Do me a favor, DEFINE "science" for all of us. And, also tell me this, does "science", whatever that is, actually move humanity closer to "TRUTH"? (ie. the Karl Popper view)

Comment

I'm sorry if I've offended you. It was certainly not my intention.

You have made statements concerning homosexuality that were not fact-based. I put forth facts that you probably didn't like.
                  Same with other issues of a moral character such as abortion. You were completely and totally wrong concerning the physiology of the unborn.
                  I'm sorry if that offended you but I could not allow such misinformation to go unchallenged.

I've been wrong before about some things and will almost certainly be wrong again. I had to learn to cope with that without taking it personaly.

Once again I apologize if in any way I personaly hurt your feelings. That was never my intention.

Comment

I'm sorry if I've offended you. It was certainly not my intention.

No, I was not wrong. I have not once been wrong in our arguments. And no amount of apologizing or whatever you say about being inoffensive will not change the fact that you are offensive to me. Your intention is to live in the stone age and to keep people in their 'proper place' as defined by your insane religion.

Comment

I think you are equating science to a religion. In my mind, one deals with the material world and one does not.

And look, the real definition agrees:
                      The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment
                      And, yes, I think it does move you closer to the "truth". It helps to eliminate the impossible and unlikely. It allows you to focus more on the real spiritual questions. Entire societies have been built around such silly ideas as sacrificing people to the sun god. They collapsed and died. Science can show us these mistakes. It frees us to follow better spiritual endeavors, no? It also allows millions of people more time to follow spiritual pursuits as well.

there is something about humans... something empty that drives us to fill this spiritual void. It can be filled with virtually anything, it seems. I think science helps keep those voids from being filled with damaging beliefs.

Comment

No, I was not wrong. I have not once been wrong in our arguments. And no amount of apologizing or whatever you say about being inoffensive will not change the fact that you are offensive to me. Your intention is to live in the stone age and to keep people in their 'proper place' as defined by your insane religion.
                        When I was twenty-something I felt much the same as you. Hopefully you will learn that insulting someone doesn't prove them wrong.
                        And yes, you were indeed clearly proven wrong in your assertions of a fetus being "part of a woman's body". Period.
                        You were also shown to be clearly wrong that "science has proven homosexuality is genetically determined".

You are offended by the truth and there isn't anything I can do about that. You will just have to be offended.

Comment

When I was twenty-something I felt much the same as you. Hopefully you will learn that insulting someone doesn't prove them wrong.
                          And yes, you were indeed clearly proven wrong in your assertions of a fetus being "part of a woman's body". Period.

You are offended by the truth and there isn't anything I can do about that. You will just have to be offended.
                          Inasmuch being proven wrong involves you citing your fictional book and other non-scientific babble.

Comment

Inasmuch being proven wrong involves you citing your fictional book and other non-scientific babble.
                            I never once used any biblical text in the aforementioned points concerning abortion or homosexuality.

Your memory needs refreshing - go back and re-read my posts.

Comment

I never once used any biblical text in the aforementioned points concerning abortion or homosexuality.

Your memory needs refreshing - go back and re-read my posts.
                              Which is why I also mentioned 'other non-scientific babble.' I already went over this in that other thread. Also, all of your views are entirely influenced by that stupid bible of yours. Your sub-human views of homosexuality and your non-scientific views of the fetus and its relation to a woman.

Comment

Which is why I also mentioned 'other non-scientific babble.' I already went over this in that other thread. Also, all of your views are entirely influenced by that stupid bible of yours. Your sub-human views of homosexuality and your non-scientific views of the fetus and its relation to a woman.
                                Please explain to me how a male fetus (Y chromasomes) with a different blood type is part of a woman's body. The mixing of those two blood types would cause death.
                                You are the one putting forth "non-scientific babble" - not me. Go ahead: put forth your argument based only upon human anatomy and physiology.

Facts, please.

Comment

Working...
                                X