Clear All

• Your Grandmother's Chicken

Times They R A Changin'

April 30, 2009
    Our Towns
    Envisioning the End of ‘Don’t Cluck, Don’t Tell’

By PETER APPLEBOME
    NEW HAVEN

In the modest backyard of Rosemarie Morgan’s 1890-era house, about a half-mile from Yale University, there is a small Buddha, azalea and forsythia, Japanese cherry and plum trees, and an Amish-made chicken coop with five residents — four who lay eggs and Gloria, who is barren but one heck of a watchdog.

The fowl are technically illegal under New Haven’s zoning code, which prohibited raising hens and other livestock when it was updated during the 1950s. But these days, many dozens of backyard hens are generally tolerated under the city’s informal enforcement program — call it “don’t cluck, don’t tell” — that mostly looks the other way. With urban fowl increasingly common, Alderman Roland Lemar has introduced legislation that would allow residents to raise up to six hens.

Ms. Morgan, a Victorianist at Yale who specializes in Thomas Hardy and grew up with assorted animals in England and Scotland, may not be the face of modern agriculture. But she’s a perfect representative of a tiny sliver of it — the vogue for urban farming that has cities around the country updating and tweaking zoning codes.

At the center of the Brave New World of urban ag is the humble hen, whose care and keeping is the subject of Web sites like thecitychicken.com, urbanchickens.org, backyardchickens.com, or Just Food’s City Chicken Meetup NYC, which has 101 hen-friendly members in New York.

Ms. Morgan, whose East Rock neighborhood was once known as Goatville, took up raising hens when she lived in the Berkshires and, along with some friends, resumed it when she moved back to New Haven seven years ago. She likes the fresh eggs and the link to our vanished natural past. She’s very fond of her feathered friends, who eat bugs and mosquitoes and don’t make much noise other than a triumphant squawk when laying.

“The eggs are fabulous,” she said. “And it’s very emotionally fulfilling. They’re not exactly pets — they still have a wild way about them, but they’re very smart and easy to have around. And noise? They’re not as loud as blue jays, no worse than a cat’s meow, certainly quieter than a barking dog.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/30/ny...1&ref=nyregion

Re: Your Grandmother's Chicken

Originally posted by don View Post
    Times They R A Changin'

April 30, 2009
    Our Towns
    Envisioning the End of ‘Don’t Cluck, Don’t Tell’

"A bicycle in every garage and a chicken in every backyard."

Trouble with Chickens is the same as Investments, too many Foxes.

Comment

Great story. The idea has been spreading for some time and lately, P&Z Commissions have been busy trying to adapt their zoning rules to accommodate them.
      On top of their output of good eggs, the composted manure is one of the best for that backyard garden. Then after they quit laying, if the foxes haven't caught them, they make a fine addition baked, then cooked in the broth with home-made noodles!

Comment

At the center of the Brave New World of urban ag is the humble hen, whose care and keeping is the subject...
        As it happens, I'm in the process of building a henhouse for some suburban friends -- trying to improve slightly upon my dad's design.

Locally, the laws already allow suburbanites -- and even residents of Portland, I'm told -- to raise a defined number of chickens.

Comment

My grandmother told me when she was my age (I was just a kid at the time) her job was to go out in the yard and 'get a chicken for dinner'. Just a quick twist of the wrist for my sweet, departed grandmother

Comment

My grandmother told me when she was my age (I was just a kid at the time) her job was to go out in the yard and 'get a chicken for dinner'. Just a quick twist of the wrist for my sweet, departed grandmother
            LOL

One of the "funnies" spoken about at my grandmothers eulogy a while back was the fact that she ONLY used the "freshest" cooking ingredients. First time I watched her de-head a chicken was traumatic as hell. Coop to tummy in less than an hour.

http://www.horizonstructures.com/coop.asp

Comment

Originally posted by strittmatter View Post
              LOL

One of the "funnies" spoken about at my grandmothers eulogy a while back was the fact that she ONLY used the "freshest" cooking ingredients. First time I watched her de-head a chicken was traumatic as hell. Coop to tummy in less than an hour.

Trust the Boomer generation to come up with a "Designer Chicken Coop"...:p

Just wouldn't do if one had to enjoy one's morning designer latte with an egg from a chicken forced to live in a converted wood shed...

Comment

I have been watching the chicken bubble here in NZ with astonishment. NZD $40 to $100 for a pullet!

Comment

Originally posted by strittmatter View Post
                  LOL

I have been reading Acres for years and following their philosophy. They are advocates of sustainable farming not the Big Model Industrial Chemical Agriculture we have had forced on us by Wall Street and the Crooks they purchase in open daylight in Washington, DC.

http://www.acresusa.com/magazines/magazine.htm

Here's one practicioner who uses movable pens to manage his livestock and poultry:

http://www.polyfacefarms.com/

Polyface Guiding Principles
                  TRANSPARENCY: Anyone is welcome to visit the farm anytime. No trade secrets, no locked doors, every corner is camera-accessible.

GRASS-BASED: Pastured livestock and poultry, moved frequently to new "salad bars," offer landscape healing and nutritional superiority.

INDIVIDUALITY: Plants and animals should be provided a habitat that allows them to express their physiological distinctiveness. Respecting and honoring the pigness of the pig is a foundation for societal health.

COMMUNITY: We do not ship food. We should all seek food closer to home, in our foodshed, our own bioregion. This means enjoying seasonality and reacquainting ourselves with our home kitchens.

NATURE'S TEMPLATE: Mimicking natural patterns on a commercial domestic scale insures moral and ethical boundaries to human cleverness. Cows are herbivores, not omnivores; that is why we've never fed them dead cows like the United States Department of Agriculture encouraged (the alleged cause of mad cows).

EARTHWORMS: We're really in the earthworm enhancement business. Stimulating soil biota is our first priority. Soil health creates healthy food.
                  There are a lot of these small farms and coops springing up all over America. If you want to starve FIRE and Wall Street, start supporting them financially by buying their products. It is something an individual can actually do. This is also a great thing to teach children and, if you have the space, grow a small garden yourself as a learning tool. And look for a local supplier, coop or Farmers' Market in your neighborhood. Most of the money stays there and helps your community, not the Hamptons.

Comment

Originally posted by GRG55 View Post
                    Trust the Boomer generation to come up with a "Designer Chicken Coop"...:p

Just wouldn't do if one had to enjoy one's morning designer latte with an egg from a chicken forced to live in a converted wood shed...
                    I beheaded my first chicken last summer. (I'm sure it was an infidel, but was unable to get it to confess ;))

My Mennonite neighbor is missing half his thumb from dispatching a chicken, so I though I better educate myself on how best to accomplish the task.

I was going to build a guillotine for hand's free operation, but then I went to youtube for more ideas and was not disappointed. There were dozens of chicken-slaughtering videos from around the world.

I settled on the cone method: the chicken is put upside down in a funnel-shaped "killing cone", with its head sticking out the bottom. A hatchet is used to cut off the head. The advantages of this method are: 1) the blood drains out into a bucket, 2) it's hand's-free, so no danger of losing a digit, and 3) the chicken doesn't get dirty as a result of . . . well, running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

I didn't particularly relish this task, but heard it on good authority from the local Mennonites that animals have no souls, so it's o.k. to kill them. For my part, I like to believe the chickens I have dispatched are all up in fox-free chicken heaven, munching on endless supplies of juicy worms. Either way, my conscience is clear.

Let's hope the economy doesn't get so bad that we all must become chicken killers (I'm not hearing much about the hyperinflation scenario on iTulip these days). :eek:
                    raja
                    Boycott Big Banks • Vote Out Incumbents

Comment

There are a lot of these small farms and coops springing up all over America. If you want to starve FIRE and Wall Street, start supporting them financially by buying their products.
                      http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...?bill=h111-875

You didn't expect the likes of Monsanto, Con Agra etc. to take this lying down did you?

Comment

Working...
                      X