Thread: 6,666,666 Visitors

Default 6,666,666 Visitors

The registered member who posts an "I remember when iTulip..." story here with an estimate of the date and time–down to the second–which is closest to when the iTulip.com sitemeter actually reaches a count of 6,666,666 visitors wins one of these...

British Sovereign .2354 oz

Posting format:

"I remember when iTulip..."

"Will reach 6,666,666 on February X at XX:XX:XX EST."

Registered members get one post with one estimate. Post cut-off time is 12PM EST, February 21. Edited posts will be disqualified.

Last edited by FRED; 02-21-07 at 07:41 AM.
    Ed.

Texas>home of GW Bush, Dick Armey, Tom Delay, Phil Gramm

Default Re: 6,666,666 Visitors

I remember when itulip used to have a visitors meter on the home page, so that one might appreciate just how many people had visited the site.

I also remember when looking at the very bottom of the Forums Home page at the What's going on" section that at one time the "Most users ever on line was" something around 3000 as I recall. Then one day the number was 11,412 which it still is.

As I remember when I joined iTulip one ticks off his/her time zone and then the times shown for posts, etc. in one's browser are the local times of the active user.

The 11,412 users shown to be online on 11/22/06 occurred at 6:25 AM EJ's, jk's and Finster's time, 5:25 AM my time, 4:25 AM Mountain Time, and 3:25 AM Bart's, SeanO's and DemonD's time.

Personally I don't believe 11,412 users have ever been on line at one time, and certainly not at the times just above. Now if there is some connection between the visitors meter and the "Most users ever online" count, then I think both by some manner are incorrect, and if so, no one shall ever be able to tell exactly who is the 6,666,666th visitor.

That's what I remember.
    Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nickerson
    I remember when itulip used to have a visitors meter on the home page, so that one might appreciate just how many people had visited the site.

I also remember when looking at the very bottom of the Forums Home page at the What's going on" section that at one time the "Most users ever on line was" something around 3000 as I recall. Then one day the number was 11,412 which it still is.

As I remember when I joined iTulip one ticks off his/her time zone and then the times shown for posts, etc. in one's browser are the local times of the active user.

The 11,412 users shown to be online on 11/22/06 occurred at 6:25 AM EJ's, jk's and Finster's time, 5:25 AM my time, 4:25 AM Mountain Time, and 3:25 AM Bart's, SeanO's and DemonD's time.

Personally I don't believe 11,412 users have ever been on line at one time, and certainly not at the times just above. Now if there is some connection between the visitors meter and the "Most users ever online" count, then I think both by some manner are incorrect, and if so, no one shall ever be able to tell exactly who is the 6,666,666th visitor.

That's what I remember.
    The Web is chock full of liars and cheats, so your skepticism is well founded. But you're safe here.

The 11,412 users shown to be online on 11/22/06 at 6:25 AM is absolutely accurate. It happened when reddit.com, an excellent "aggregator" site, linked to the article How Much of Your Car Should You Finance? Zero percent. The forum was receiving more than 3,000 visitors per minute. Assuming many visitors hung around long enough to read the article, it's not hard to see how 11,412 users were detected on the forum at once. Typically, though, visitors online average 3,000 to 4,000.

As for the time stamp, that was before we reset the forum time zone to EST. At the time of the 11,412 users record, we used GMT. vBulletin is Brit software, you know, GMT is the default time zone setting.

As for the visitor meter, iTulip set up sitemeter Jan. 21, 1999 and has been counting–accurately–visitors and page views ever since, summary below.

The counter at this moment reads around 6,580,628 visitors. We receive around 3,500 per day. Doing the math, assuming no big reddit.com driven bursts of traffic, that puts the 6,666,666 at around two days from now.
    Last edited by FRED; 02-21-07 at 08:54 AM.
    Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred
    The Web is chock full of liars and cheaters, so your skepticism is well founded. But you're safe here.

The 11,412 users shown to be online on 11/22/06 at 6:25 AM is absolutely accurate. It happened when reddit.com, an excellent "aggregator" site, linked to the article How Much of Your Car Should You Finance? Zero percent. The forum was receiving more than 3,000 visitors per minute. Assuming many visitors hung around long enough to read the article, it's not hard to see how 11,412 users were detected on the forum at once. Typically, though, visitors online average 2,000 to 3,000.

As for the time stamp, that was before we reset the forum time zone to EST. At the time of the 11,412 users record, we used GMT. vBulletin is Brit software, you know, GMT is the default time zone setting.

As for the visitor meter, iTulip set up sitemeter Jan. 21, 1999 and has been counting–accurately–visitors and page views ever since, summary below.

The counter at this moment reads around 6,580,628 visitors. We receive around 3,500 per day. Doing the math, assuming no big reddit.com driven bursts of traffic, that puts the 6,666,666 at around two days from now.

Thanks, Fred, for the clarification. I did notice how many hits there had been on the car finance article. Unless no one else submits an " I remember..." post, then looks as if I lose. Can one enter twice or more?
    Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nickerson
    Thanks, Fred, for the clarification. I did notice how many hits there had been on the car finance article. Unless no one else submits an " I remember..." post, then looks as if I lose. Can one enter twice or more?
    See rules and posting format, above.
    Last edited by FRED; 02-20-07 at 12:22 PM.
    Ed.

Wink Re: 6,666,666 Visitors

I remember when iTulip came back online, so to speak, in March of last year. I had given up on seeing anything posted here ever again and I saw a link to the story about the www.itulip.com/frankensteineconomy.htm- Frankenstein Economy over at http://www.fiendbear.com so I stopped by for a look.

I was a member of the iTulip community for 3 months before the first contest for a gold coin: The best interview question for an interview I'm still waiting to see. Anyway, I was surprised that with the large number of visitors here that there were so few people voting in the poll for the best question. I think the winner had 4 votes. It was then that I realized, I may be a troll for bad news!

iTulip.com will reach 6,666,666 on February 22 at 03:14:06 EST.
    It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye!

Smile Re: 6,666,666 Visitors

I remember when iTulip was first introduced to me through the "modern depression" article. I was taken aback by the parallels drawn between our own time and the 1930's. Even though my friends call me a little bit nutty, I have been unable to resist visiting the site just about daily ever since.

iTulip Will reach 6,666,666 on February 21st at 11:15:00 AM EST.

I remember when EJ asked for volunteers to provide a profile for the show "Wife Swap". I submitted a profile but I think I know why we never got any traction - thrift just isn't wacky enough. Sure, we have furnished our house with castoffs from the dumpster (we find nice stuff) and I buy all of my clothes at Goodwill but that simply wouldn't be outrageous enough.

Case in point, the show last night. Raw meat eating wife versus germ-o-phobe wife. Thrifty wife versus big spender wife just doesn't have the kind of friction needed for the show these days.

I predict iTulip will reach 6,666,666 visitors on Feb 21st 13:03:42 EST

I remember when itulip first shone the light on inflation, commodities, and money supply.

I remember when itulip led me on a search to figure out just what the heck MZM, M2, M3, and all those "m's" mean.

I remember when itulip put the real dow and real homes chart on and how my jaw hit the floor.

And mostly I remember when itulip made me feel at peace with my status as a renter by comforting me in terms of how the RE bubble will play out... and how it helps continually comfort me.

Incidentally, if the figures listed for page hits are right, some of the previous guesses will be way off the mark.

itulip will reach 6,666,666 on March 14 at 16:25:22 EST

I remember on iTulip when jk suggested to Bart and Finster they should be roommates.

February 22, 11:00:00 AM.
    Jim 69 y/o

Default Ah, the good old days...

I remember back when iTulip held that contest to see who could guess when the 6,666,666th visitor would hit the site, and the winner got a gold sovereign. Man, those were the good old days!

Now, I predict iTulip will reach 6,666,666 on February 22 at 19:58:04 EST.

(Time predicted by my self-written random number generator, with a bow to the gods of Synchronicity. Good luck, gods!)
    "Lost time is not found again"

I remember when iTulip first got my attention not too long ago. It started with the article How much of your car should you finance? Zero percent!

iTulip Will reach 6,666,666 on February 21st at 12:01:51 EST.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonD
    Incidentally, if the figures listed for page hits are right, some of the previous guesses will be way off the mark.

itulip will reach 6,666,666 on March 14 at 16:25:22 EST
    Less than 1,000 to go as I write this and your guess is March 14th? Now that's good humor!
    It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye!

I remember when iTulip came online again. I was so happy! It was last year if I recall correctly...

Will reach 6,666,666 on February 21 at 18:28:00 EST.

Damn, fyi my time was in GMT. Oh well. 16:28:00 GMT (12:28:00 EST) is what I meant. I know I'm disqualified now.

Default And the winner is: hoodoo

"I predict iTulip will reach 6,666,666 visitors on Feb 21st 13:03:42 EST"

Visit Number: 6,666,666
    Visitor's Time: Feb 21 2007 01:41:21 pm

Congratulations, hoodoo! Thanks all for playing!
    Ed.