• Show
Clear All

• The Crisis of College Affordability

From Tom Engelhardt
    Andy Kroll, The Crisis of College Affordability

Shut Out
    How the Cost of Higher Education Is Dividing Our Country
    By Andy Kroll

A few months ago, Bobby Stapleton, a 21-year-old student at the University of Michigan, received a phone call from his younger brother. The good news came first: a senior in high school, he, too, had been accepted by the university, the fourth sibling in his family to have the opportunity to make the move to Ann Arbor from rural Hemlock, Michigan.

Then came the bad news: his brother had no intention of telling their parents, because as Bobby put it, "he knew the money just wasn't there anymore, and that it wasn't realistic." The financial crisis had plunged the Stapleton family into severe debt. At this point, paying Michigan's modest (by college standards) $11,000 tuition for another child appeared unlikely. As his younger brother told their younger sister, Bobby recalled, "Things were just going to have to be different for the two of them."
    Engines of Inequality

Welcome to the other crisis spreading quietly across the country: the crisis of college affordability. Talk to enough students and families on a college campus like the University of Michigan, where I'm a student, and you'll hear plenty of stories like Bobby Stapleton's -- of families scraping by in increasingly tough times as tuition bills rise, of students working second and third jobs, of newly minted graduates staggering into an ever more jobless world under the weight of tens of thousands of dollars in student-loan debt.

This crisis has been a long time coming, but bad times have brought it into clearer focus. In the past several decades, the cost of higher education has climbed at an astounding pace -- faster than the Consumer Price Index, faster even than the cost of medical care. Over the past 30 years, the average cost of college tuition, fees, and room and board has increased nearly 100%, from $7,857 in 1977-1978 to $15,665 in 2007-2008 (in constant 2006-2007 dollars). Median household income, on the other hand, has risen a mere 18% over that same period, from about $42,500 to just over $50,000. College costs, in other words, have gone up at more than five times the rate of incomes.

Simply to ensure that a child attends a four-year public university, a family in the country's lowest-income bracket now has to pay, on average, 55% of total income (up from 39% in 2000); for a middle-income family, the average is 25% (up from 18% in 2000); and for an upper-income family, 9% (up from 7%), according to "Measuring Up 2008: The National Report Card on Higher Education" by the National Center for Public Policy and Higher Education. Similar figures hold for four-year private schools: In Missouri and Texas, almost 70% of family income is needed to pay college expenses for a four-year private school, after financial aid is included; in New York and Pennsylvania, it's nearly 90%.

"Engines of Inequality," a 2006 report by The Education Trust, a national education advocacy and policy organization, found that state flagship universities and a group of other major research universities spent $257 million in 2003 on financial aid for students from families earning more than $100,000 a year. Those same universities spent only $171 million on aid to students from families who made less than $20,000 a year. Similarly, between 1995 and 2003, according to the report, grant aid from the same public universities to students from families making $80,000 or more increased 533%, while grant aid to families making less than $40,000 increased only 120%.
    And of course, the CPI used in the above calculations is the official CPI -- things are of course nuch worse when compared to the 1970's when you take the shadowstats CPI as the valid one.

Re: The Crisis of College Affordability

Originally posted by Rajiv View Post
    From Tom Engelhardt
    Andy Kroll, The Crisis of College Affordability

And of course, the CPI used in the above calculations is the official CPI -- things are of course nuch worse when compared to the 1970's when you take the shadowstats CPI as the valid one.
    A big part of the reason that college is so expensive is the push for the past several decades that everyone, regardless of academic achievement or aptitude is deserving of a college education. That is simply not the case; many kids have no business even setting foot on a college campus and would have been better served with vocational training in high school. The result is dumbed down standards and an inflated demand for college. Concomitant with the push to send every high school kid with a pulse to college has been the government subsidization of college cost. That’s a BIG reason why tuition has far outpaced the bogus inflation numbers. The colleges are happy to be part of this racket because they’re getting paid and expanding faculty, even into bullshit “ghetto” disciplines like the various ethnic/grievance studies departments.

EJ’s written about the coming contraction in retail. If the market for higher ed wasn’t rigged, you should see the same contraction in colleges and universities.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho

Comment

Exactly. You have a combination of too many going to college who don't belong there, government interfering with market forces , and the availability of low interest loans. They claim we need more immigrants because there's not enough people to do some jobs, yet the colleges churn out liberal arts majors by the millions who exit college with little or no real job skills. We are misapplying the money we do spend on education.

I suspect we'll see a great reduction in the number of people who can afford to go to college in the near future. Strained state budgets will mean they'll have less ability to subsidize college education. Loans will become harder to come by. And we'll see the prices come down eventually. Huge amount of fat remains at colleges that can be cut. Some really ridiculous administrative salaries being paid out there. And they've dumbed down the standards of some college degrees to the point that its the equivalent of a High School diploma.

Comment

Re: The Crisis of College Affordability- Crisis for the University Industry

This will be a blessing for many students.

The University Industry in concert with the Government has created the myth that a College Education leads to a good career and wealth. Yes- this may be true if you are going into a profession that requires a College Education and advance degree to enter. But, if you plan to pursue a business or a trade do you really need to invest $100K-$200K in a college education - NO. The Money would be better spent learning a trade and buying the tools required for that trade.
        With free and easy credit removed from the system Universities will be force to price their product at more competitive pricing levels. This will probably result in modernizing Universities and finding less costly ways to deliver an education.
        Do you really need to go to a lecture hall to learn freshman Biology or Rocks for Jocks or intro to Chemistry? This is probably likely to reduce the numbers of tenured professors that a University needs?

Comment

Originally posted by Master Shake View Post
          A big part of the reason that college is so expensive is the push for the past several decades that everyone, regardless of academic achievement or aptitude is deserving of a college education. That is simply not the case; many kids have no business even setting foot on a college campus and would have been better served with vocational training in high school. The result is dumbed down standards and an inflated demand for college. Concomitant with the push to send every high school kid with a pulse to college has been the government subsidization of college cost. That’s a BIG reason why tuition has far outpaced the bogus inflation numbers. The colleges are happy to be part of this racket because they’re getting paid and expanding faculty, even into bullshit “ghetto” disciplines like the various ethnic/grievance studies departments.

EJ’s written about the coming contraction in retail. If the market for higher ed wasn’t rigged, you should see the same contraction in colleges and universities.
          Thank you, Master Shake. And thank you again!
          Among my friends and peers I seem to be the only one with the courage to speak the truth in clear, unambiguous terms, and this is EXACTLY what I've been saying for the past fifteen years.

This is, however, politically incorrect. ("Why everyone has a right to a college education! And if you can't see that, then, then... you're a racist!") Well, if so, they may all kiss my rectum. I've had a gut-full of PC garbage. It is nothing less than "Soviet-Lite" - they can't put you in a Gulag (not yet, at least) but you are definitely ostracized.

Our country is dying from all this P.C. crap.

Comment

i just cant understand this tuition increase. I am an engineer. I paid 2K per year on tuition,books fees and went to u of Ill in the early 80's.
            i was able to work part time and pay my way. my alum association now states that just tuition at u of Ill is 16K. what happened? Can someone please dredge up a pie chart on a typical state univ revenues and expenses.

take for example mathematics what do we need to teach that course?
            A smart guy and a text book, which could probably be available as a pdf.
            If the prof has 12 - 20 kids in his class then there is 192 - 320 k in revenue. (this does figure does not account for the 200 students in a calc 101 class) i doubt the prof is netting this cash. my friend has a phd in mathematics and he has to work at home depot to make ends meet. Also this does not take into account any monies that state is kicking in.
            Where is the money going?

I know a person whoose son is graduating from prude with and engineering degree, took 5 years and they are now in debt for 100K. It would have been more, but some scholarships and some summer work kept the cost down. engineering jobs are under stress from h1b visa, and out-sourcing. think they will ever be able to pay that 100k back? Maybe, but what will they not have, house, car, delayed marrriage, delayed children? ROI on a degree is going down all the time.

The answer is not scholarships, loans etc. then the kids who are not well connected are shut out. If you cant get the loan/scholarship etc then college is not an option for you. Tuition needs to come down so anyone willing to work can pay their way through school. Most kids can go to a 2 yr techincal school. I only use 1/4 of my education in my current job. Since the world is changing so fast the "half life" of your education make is pretty useless in a decade anyhow. The real value is how to think, how to reason etc. and this should have been accomplished at the elementary high school level.
            Last edited by charliebrown; April 07, 2009, 01:01 PM.

Comment

In one way I agree, there has been an over indulgence in education in this country. But what do you expect when the powers that be declare war on the living standards of those who do 'menial' labor like assemble machinery and autos?

Are they supposed to get out of HS and complacently take their McJob and be glad they have it?

This is a symptom of the disease, not the disease itself. Of course people reacted to the dwindling prospects of getting a decent job with a HS education by making ungodly sacrifices to send their kids to college. It's human nature. The correct question might be what can we do to allow citizens to make meaningful and real contributions to the economy. Is there such a place for these people in a healthy economy.

A good start might be to stop pretending that this bastard stepchild we have now can in any way be called 'free trade'. It isn't. It is a scam. Our policy makers have allowed other countries to steal these industries and even given them incentives to do so. Another good place to examine might be to examine our truly insane immigration policy.

Wage arbitrage and globalization might have been inevitable, but declaring war on those who worked in the real P/C economy was not.

Just one man's opinions.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by Penguin View Post
                In one way I agree, there has been an over indulgence in education in this country. But what do you expect when the powers that be declare war on the living standards of those who do 'menial' labor like assemble machinery and autos?

Are they supposed to get out of HS and complacently take their McJob and be glad they have it?

This is a symptom of the disease, not the disease itself. Of course people reacted to the dwindling prospects of getting a decent job with a HS education by making ungodly sacrifices to send their kids to college. It's human nature. The correct question might be what can we do to allow citizens to make meaningful and real contributions to the economy. Is there such a place for these people in a healthy economy.

A good start might be to stop pretending that this bastard stepchild we have now can in any way be called 'free trade'. It isn't. It is a scam. Our policy makers have allowed other countries to steal these industries and even given them incentives to do so. Another good place to examine might be to examine our truly insane immigration policy.

Wage arbitrage and globalization might have been inevitable, but declaring war on those who worked in the real P/C economy was not.

Just one man's opinions.

Will
                Plumbers, auto mechanics, and electricians make good money; they aren't McJobs. Secondly, they denigration of gainful employment, i.e. calling certain jobs "McJobs" is part of the problem. Any work is better than sitting on your ass and expecting to be provided for.

That being said, I'm pretty much in agreement with your comments on "free" trade and our suicidal immigration policy.
                Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho

Comment

[quote=Master Shake;89758]Plumbers, auto mechanics, and electricians make good money; they aren't McJobs. Secondly, they denigration of gainful employment, i.e. calling certain jobs "McJobs" is part of the problem. Any work is better than sitting on your ass and expecting to be provided for.
                  quote]

Here, here. ANY WORK is indeed better.... The idea that some people are above certain jobs is stupid. Honest work done well is it's own reward. To do something well is an accomplishment. Many seem to have forgotten that.

Comment

Don't misunderstand where I come from, I don't consider those to be McJobs at all. Those are exactly the kinds of jobs that the powers that be have declared war on: skilled blue collar jobs.

In my opinion, take it for what it is worth, skilled blue collar labor was one of the best features of the old economy America used to sport. The fact that we had a place in our system for motivated and intelligent people to work with their hands and climb the ladder was an American hallmark. Very few countries valued good, honest, skilled labor like we did in the US.

But we killed that economy, or allowed it to be killed. There are very few ladders of success open to kids anymore. And the jobs we replaced them with were a poor substitute.

Will

Comment

Some really good points brought up on this thread. I think I am qualified to speak on some of this because I am both an electrician, AND a college grad. Definitely society looks down on manual labor of any sort in our country. I don't care how complicated it is. This is something that has really come on strong in the last 10 years or so. Before that it was considered a noble trade if you had a skill. Now a used car salesman gets more respect because he wears a suit and is "smart enough" not to get his hands dirty. :rolleyes:

I can't understand the increase in tuition either CB. I also went to college in the 80s and paid around $2000 year at a major university. Back then, paying the tuition wasn't really considered a big deal. It was the cost of living and forgoing income that was the big cost of college. I really don't see how some people afford it these days. And the payoff is certainly becoming more questionable for some degrees. I didn't really "need" my degree it turned out, but at least I didn't rack up $100k in debt before I turned 21. That's nuts.

Talking about the short life of an education. My wife graduated college, then almost immediately became a mother. Now she's ready to go back to work, but she might as well have a diploma from Mars as nobody really cares about that ancient history. ( only 12 years ago)

I've said for years that too many marginal students are going to college, barely getting through, then expecting great jobs. Meanwhile a lot of fields lacked enough qualified people and so we've been importing those. So we've ended up with a bunch of unemployed, over educated 20 and 30 somethings asking themselves why they went into debt for this. A lot of those people would have been better off learning a skill or other trade that didn't necessarily require a 4 year degree. But the FIRE economy kept telling them they all had to drive fancy cars and own big houses or they were losers.

Comment

Hey flintlock, we have a lot in common. I used to work for an electrical contractor while i went to college. sometimes now i wish i just went to electrians trade school. i long for some honest work where i get my hands dirty. I work in computer programming mainly. im fairly certain my job will be outsourced in a few years, once this occurs im not sure if i want another programming job or not. (maybe none will be available that pay a decent wage anymore)

I used to do some hardware maintenance, swapping, add ons in super minis, and pc's. I really enjoyed cracking open the case and getting my hands dirty. I didnt need a degree for this, a smart high schooler with a good tech manual could do it. but getting a degree was a necessary rite of passage. a large company wouldnt consider a high schooler with no degree to work for them. Now that pc's are disposable, it is not worth it to fix them. and with data centers being outsourced, cloud computing etc. you now have to travel to stay with the hardware. My data center was outsourced from illinois to minnesota. i would have moved there except who knows if my parent company will choose another outsource firm in the next few years and i will have to move again. no way to raise a family.

like you, i have some kids, and my wife stayed home. She got a programming degree in the 80's. She left the IT world in 2000 to have our son, we had another in 2006. Once the little guy goes to school full days, she would like to return to work (2011) She is probably unemployable in any IT role now. She was a doer not an admin.

Comment

Originally posted by charliebrown View Post
                          Hey flintlock, we have a lot in common. I used to work for an electrical contractor while i went to college. sometimes now i wish i just went to electrians trade school. i long for some honest work where i get my hands dirty. I work in computer programming mainly. im fairly certain my job will be outsourced in a few years, once this occurs im not sure if i want another programming job or not. (maybe none will be available that pay a decent wage anymore)

I used to do some hardware maintenance, swapping, add ons in super minis, and pc's. I really enjoyed cracking open the case and getting my hands dirty. I didnt need a degree for this, a smart high schooler with a good tech manual could do it. but getting a degree was a necessary rite of passage. a large company wouldnt consider a high schooler with no degree to work for them. Now that pc's are disposable, it is not worth it to fix them. and with data centers being outsourced, cloud computing etc. you now have to travel to stay with the hardware. My data center was outsourced from illinois to minnesota. i would have moved there except who knows if my parent company will choose another outsource firm in the next few years and i will have to move again. no way to raise a family.

like you, i have some kids, and my wife stayed home. She got a programming degree in the 80's. She left the IT world in 2000 to have our son, we had another in 2006. Once the little guy goes to school full days, she would like to return to work (2011) She is probably unemployable in any IT role now. She was a doer not an admin.
                          Yes, there is something strangely gratifying about getting your hands dirty. But then I think otherwise when I'm in an attic in July.

Comment

I have to chime in here with a short version of my life story. I have a BS in Mech Eng, worked as an engineer (actually an engineering bureaucrat) for about 10 years, then as manager of an IT dept. I quit that in 2007 and now I'm a carpenter. Its been a great change.

I think this thread is right on regarding 'higher education'. It has become nearly mandatory, hence largely meaningless but very expensive. Huge amounts of time and money are being wasted.

I do note however that several of the above posts referred to trades and blue collar work as outlets for non-college-educated workers (at least in a better managed economy). I would submit that a great many office jobs as well should not require a college education - they just need people who can read and think a little bit.

Comment

I graduated from a "good" high public school in '94 with decent grades (B average?) and SAT scores "nothing to write home about", but not going to a four year college/university wasn't even an option to be discussed. It was tough. I knew at the time it was mistake to take on debt for a lame liberal arts degree, but was basically nudged into it by parents that didn't know any better. This a mindset that needs to be and will be destroyed by this recession.

Comment

Working...
                              X