Bernanke Statement on AIG to The House of Representatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernanke Statement on AIG to The House of Representatives

To those of you that are interested I am posting the entire statement below. I have one question: Why was AIG-FP not immediately closed down? It was the source of the dealings that created the losses that in turn collapsed the rest of the business; so why not close the loss making part of the group? I would appreciate someone giving me an answer that makes sense.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/testimony/bernanke20090324a.htm

Chairman Ben S. Bernanke

American International Group

Before the Committee on Financial Services, U.S. House of Representatives, Washington, D.C.

March 24, 2009

Chairman Frank, Ranking Member Bachus, and other members of the Committee, I appreciate having this opportunity to discuss the Federal Reserve's involvement with American International Group, Inc. (AIG). In my testimony, I will describe why supporting AIG was a difficult but necessary step to protect our economy and stabilize our financial system. I will also discuss issues related to compensation and note two matters raised by this experience that merit congressional attention.

Reasons for Our Original Lending Decision

We at the Federal Reserve, working closely with the Treasury, made our decision to lend to AIG on September 16 of last year. It was an extraordinary time. Global financial markets were experiencing unprecedented strains and a worldwide loss of confidence. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac had been placed into conservatorship only two weeks earlier, and Lehman Brothers had filed for bankruptcy the day before. We were very concerned about a number of other major firms that were under intense stress.

AIG's financial condition had been deteriorating for some time, caused by actual and expected losses on subprime mortgage-backed securities and on credit default swaps that AIG's Financial Products unit, AIG-FP, had written on mortgage-related securities. As confidence in the firm declined, and with efforts to find a private-sector solution unsuccessful, AIG faced severe liquidity pressures that threatened to force it imminently into bankruptcy.

The Federal Reserve and the Treasury agreed that AIG's failure under the conditions then prevailing would have posed unacceptable risks for the global financial system and for our economy. Some of AIG's insurance subsidiaries, which are among the largest in the United States and the world, would have likely been put into rehabilitation by their regulators, leaving policyholders facing considerable uncertainty about the status of their claims. State and local government entities that had lent more than $10 billion to AIG would have suffered losses. Workers whose 401(k) plans had purchased $40 billion of insurance from AIG against the risk that their stable value funds would decline in value would have seen that insurance disappear. Global banks and investment banks would have suffered losses on loans and lines of credit to AIG, and on derivatives with AIG-FP. The banks' combined exposures exceeded $50 billion.1 Money market mutual funds and others that held AIG's roughly $20 billion of commercial paper would also have taken losses. In addition, AIG's insurance subsidiaries had substantial derivatives exposures to AIG-FP that could have weakened them in the event of the parent company's failure.

Moreover, as the Lehman case clearly demonstrates, focusing on the direct effects of a default on AIG's counterparties understates the risks to the financial system as a whole. Once begun, a financial crisis can spread unpredictably. For example, Lehman's default on its commercial paper caused a prominent money market mutual fund to "break the buck" and suspend withdrawals, which in turn ignited a general run on prime money market mutual funds, with resulting severe stresses in the commercial paper market. As I mentioned, AIG had about $20 billion in commercial paper outstanding, so its failure would have exacerbated the problems of the money market mutual funds. Another worrisome possibility was that uncertainties about the safety of insurance products could have led to a run on the broader insurance industry by policyholders and creditors. Moreover, it was well known in the market that many major financial institutions had large exposures to AIG. Its failure would likely have led financial market participants to pull back even more from commercial and investment banks, and those institutions perceived as weaker would have faced escalating pressure. Recall that these events took place before the passage of the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act, which provided funds that the Treasury used to help stem a global banking panic in October. Consequently, it is unlikely that the failure of additional major firms could have been prevented in the wake of the failure of AIG. At best, the consequences of AIG's failure would have been a significant intensification of an already severe financial crisis and a further worsening of global economic conditions. Conceivably, its failure could have resulted in a 1930s-style global financial and economic meltdown, with catastrophic implications for production, income, and jobs.

The decision by the Federal Reserve on September 16, 2008, with the full support of the Treasury, to lend up to $85 billion to AIG should be viewed with this background in mind. At that time, no federal entity could provide capital to stabilize AIG and no federal or state entity outside of a bankruptcy court could wind down AIG. Unfortunately, federal bankruptcy laws do not sufficiently protect the public's strong interest in ensuring the orderly resolution of nondepository financial institutions when a failure would pose substantial systemic risks, which is why I have called on the Congress to develop new emergency resolution procedures. However, the Federal Reserve did have the authority to lend on a fully secured basis, consistent with our emergency lending authority provided by the Congress and our responsibility as central bank to maintain financial stability. We took as collateral for our loan AIG's pledge of a substantial portion of its assets, including its ownership interests in its domestic and foreign insurance subsidiaries. This decision bought time for subsequent actions by the Congress, the Treasury, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, and the Federal Reserve that have avoided further failures of systemically important institutions and have supported improvements in key credit markets.

The Federal Reserve's Ongoing Involvement with AIG

Having lent AIG money to avert the risk of a global financial meltdown, we found ourselves in the uncomfortable situation of overseeing both the preservation of its value and its dismantling, a role quite different from our usual activities. We have devoted considerable resources to this effort and have engaged outside advisers. Using our rights as creditor, we have worked with AIG's new management team to begin the difficult process of winding down AIG-FP and to oversee the company's restructuring and divestiture strategy. Progress is being made on both fronts. However, financial turmoil and a worsening economy since September have contributed to large losses at the company, and the Federal Reserve has found it necessary to restructure and extend our support. In addition, under its Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP), the Treasury injected capital into AIG in both November and March. Throughout this difficult period, our goals have remained unchanged: to protect our economy and preserve financial stability, and to position AIG to repay the Federal Reserve and return the Treasury's investment as quickly as possible.

In our role as creditor, we have made clear to AIG's management, beginning last fall, our deep concern surrounding compensation issues at AIG. We believe it is in the taxpayers' interest for AIG to retain qualified staff to maintain the value of the businesses that must be sold to repay the government's assistance. But, at the same time, the company must scrupulously avoid any excessive and unwarranted compensation. We have pressed AIG to ensure that all compensation decisions are covered by robust corporate governance, including internal review, review by the Compensation Committee of the Board of Directors, and consultations with outside experts. Operating under this framework, AIG has voluntarily limited the salary, bonuses, and other types of compensation for 2008 and 2009 of the CEO and other senior managers. Moreover, executive compensation must comply with the most stringent set of rules promulgated by the Treasury for TARP fund recipients. The New York Attorney General has also imposed restrictions on compensation at AIG.

Many of you have raised specific issues with regard to the payout of retention bonuses to employees at AIG-FP. My reaction upon becoming aware of these specific payments was that, notwithstanding the business purposes that might be served by this action, it was highly inappropriate to pay substantial bonuses to employees of the division that had been the primary source of AIG's collapse. I asked that the AIG-FP payments be stopped but was informed that they were mandated by contracts agreed to before the government's intervention. I then asked that suit be filed to prevent the payments. Legal staff counseled against this action, on the grounds that Connecticut law provides for substantial punitive damages if the suit would fail; legal action could thus have the perverse effect of doubling or tripling the financial benefits to the AIG-FP employees. I was also informed that the company had been instructed to pursue all available alternatives and that the Reserve Bank had conveyed the strong displeasure of the Federal Reserve with the retention payment arrangement. I strongly supported President Dudley's conveying that concern and directing the company to redouble its efforts to renegotiate all plans that could result in excessive bonus payments. I have also directed staff to work with the Treasury and the Administration in their review of whether the FP bonus and retention payments can be reclaimed. Moreover, the Federal Reserve and the Treasury will work closely together to monitor and address similar situations in the future.

Lessons Learned from AIG

To conclude, I would note that AIG offers two clear lessons for the upcoming discussion in the Congress and elsewhere on regulatory reform. First, AIG highlights the urgent need for new resolution procedures for systemically important nonbank financial firms. If a federal agency had had such tools on September 16, they could have been used to put AIG into conservatorship or receivership, unwind it slowly, protect policyholders, and impose haircuts on creditors and counterparties as appropriate. That outcome would have been far preferable to the situation we find ourselves in now. Second, the AIG situation highlights the need for strong, effective consolidated supervision of all systemically important financial firms. AIG built up its concentrated exposure to the subprime mortgage market largely out of the sight of its functional regulators. More-effective supervision might have identified and blocked the extraordinarily reckless risk-taking at AIG-FP. These two changes could measurably reduce the likelihood of future episodes of systemic risk like the one we faced at AIG.

Footnotes
    1. In addition, many of these same banks had borrowed securities from AIG's securities lending program for which they had given AIG cash as collateral. Upon an AIG bankruptcy, the banks would have taken possession of the securities instead of receiving back their cash, exposing them to possible losses on those securities. Return to text

Re: Bernanke Statement on AIG to The House of Representatives

Originally posted by Chris Coles View Post
    I have one question: Why was AIG-FP not immediately closed down? It was the source of the dealings that created the losses that in turn collapsed the rest of the business; so why not close the loss making part of the group? I would appreciate someone giving me an answer that makes sense.
    Because they are corrupt thieves, and they were protecting themselves at all cost so they didnt get caught. To have legal action (such as bankruptcy) would require all of AIG's books to be disclosed/pored over and we would have found out that they were not complying with *any* sort of accounting standards (such as Bernie Madoff's never having executed a single trade). But to not actually go the way of bankruptcy allowed them from fully disclosing what their books truly hold and how much losses we can further expect from the company.

Everything is a mystery, and I believe those who are handling this situation are intentionally making it that way on purpose because they know something we don't.
    Every interest bearing loan is mathematically impossible to pay back.

Comment

Dog and Pony Show II. Meanwhile, Tag Team Partner Geithner is asking for power to seize any financial institution. We will not find the truth or the reality of this Disaster on an MSM TV screen.

Comment

I too would have wished for AIG to be left alone. And let the counter parties deal with the fall out. Someone else on this board gave me a specific example of what would have happened to his organization. I'm sure that the fallout he descibed to me would have been repeated over and over again throughout this country, and others as well.

Having said all that, I still believe that in life you place your bets and watch what happens.

Comment

One example of why AIG could not be allowed to fail:

Most railroads had sold their rolling stock to banks for a cash payment, then leased the railcars back. New railcars were done this way too.

Banks got hefty depreciation write-off against there obscene profits, making themselves even more obscene. Railroads already had large deductions, many at a loss, and couldn't use the extra write-offs, and got low monthly payments that were deductible now, not over decades. Win-win (or so the banksters said). Fool-proof, risk-free plan (or so the banksters said).

Unfortunately, these sell-leaseback agreements were guaranteed by AIG and some other minor players.

How good was AIG's guarantee? Well, you could be sure the banksters protected their asses. If AIG dropped below AAA credit rating, the railway would have to pledge additional assets, or in some cases the railroad had to pay off 100% of all lease payments (eg. 30 years worth of monthly payments due immediately).

Where were the railroads to come up with $30 million here, $10 billion there? They couldn't, so they would go insolvent too.

Many manufacturers sold their plants and all machinery inside to the banks, then leased it back. Who's idea was this? The banksters of course.

Very insidious. If I didn't know better, I'd expect it was a Commie plot by thousands of deep deep Commie moles planted decades before, who worked their way up through the banking sector, then waited for the signal to attack.

Wasn't it President Lincoln who said USA would not be destroyed by a foreign enemy, it would come from inside? How right he was.

AIG was into everything. AIG had spread like a cancer through most of all businesses in USA and the world. AIG wasn't a systemic risk to the financial system, it was a major part of the system
          Last edited by Glenn Black; March 24, 2009, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Black View Post

Most railroads had sold their rolling stock to banks for a cash payment, then leased the railcars back. New railcars were done this way too.

Banks got hefty depreciation write-off against there obscene profits, making themselves even more obscene. Railroads already had large deductions, many at a loss, and couldn't use the extra write-offs, and got low monthly payments that were deductible now, not over decades. Win-win (or so the banksters said). Fool-proof, risk-free plan (or so the banksters said).

Unfortunately, these sell-leaseback agreements were guaranteed by AIG and some other minor players.

How good was AIG's guarantee? Well, you could be sure the banksters protected their asses. If AIG dropped below AAA credit rating, the railway would have to pledge additional assets, or in some cases the railroad had to pay off 100% of all lease payments (eg. 30 years worth of monthly payments due immediately).

Where were the railroads to come up with $30 million here, $10 billion there? They couldn't, so they would go insolvent too.

Many manufacturers sold their plants and all machinery inside to the banks, then leased it back. Who's idea was this? The banksters of course.

Very insidious. If I didn't know better, I'd expect it was a Commie plot by thousands of deep deep Commie moles planted decades before, who worked their way up through the banking sector, then waited for the signal to attack.

Wasn't it President Lincoln who said USA would not be destroyed by a foreign enemy, it would come from inside? How right he was.

AIG was into everything. AIG had spread like a cancer through most of all businesses in USA and the world. AIG wasn't a systemic risk to the financial system, it was a major part of the system
            What:mad: Who thinks of things like this? And in the situation you described with the railroad, what is insured? and why? and was it securitized and resold? Does anybody have any other examples please? And why does my head hurt?

Comment

Originally posted by cjppjc View Post
              What:mad: Who thinks of things like this? And in the situation you described with the railroad, what is insured? and why? and was it securitized and resold? Does anybody have any other examples please? And why does my head hurt?
              If that hurts - Then read this (if you haven't already). Lots of AIG stupidity referenced for your amusement ...

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...takeover/print

Comment

Originally posted by Fiat Currency View Post
                If that hurts - Then read this (if you haven't already). Lots of AIG stupidity referenced for your amusement ...

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...takeover/print

Yes, I've read it thanks. I just can't imagine what made people go for all these hedges.

Comment

The mantra of modern economics is that Big is Better because it is more efficient, gives us cheaper stuff. I will whissper the phrase "anti-trust laws" hoping neocons do not hear it. So, Big is the goal and that is what FIRE and the rest of the economy is all about. And that is what our fiscal policy encourages. (BIGS GM and FORD and maybe GE bankrupt too.)

But there are side effects to Big which are not calculated on the Balance Sheet (if that itself is not corrupted) and we can see some of them clearly now. Control of the Political Process and Treasury, for two.

So, how much more BIG can we take? Economies of scale, the old and worn saw of economics, may enslave us.

There is an ignored Economics of Small as proposed by E. F. Schumacher in his book, Small Is Beautiful: A Study of Economics As If People Mattered 1973.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EF_Schumacher

The intention of the BIGs is not to destroy America but to control all its economic activity and funnel it through their corrupt hands. As Cairo Al would put it: "Get a piece of every bit of action."

Comment

In one sense, you are correct, but in another, not so. The railway wagons will remain on the tracks. When I suggested that AIG-FP be closed, I did not mean the rest of AIG would not still hold the corporate responsibility for the prior stupidities. In any normal business situation the main board would have summarily closed AIG-FP, shown all the related employees the door that day and then set about picking up the pieces. But what we now learn is that the main board members had not the foggiest idea of what AIG-FP were doing in the first place and they kept it open to have someone to tell them what had been going on....

I am coming around to the idea that at some future date an astute attorney will set out to demonstrate that all these CDO's and CDS's were in fact totally illegal and thus a part of a criminal scam and thus non accountable under normal contract law. That would blow them all away into the wind and all that would be required would be a simple replacement of any underlying insurance under normal practises.

Comment

This doesn't make logical sense to me at all. Do you have anything you can point to that shows exactly what the terms of the arrangements were?

Normally the lessor of the capital asset would take out the insurance to protect themselves against default by the lessee. There are likely to be covenants in the lease arrangements related to the lessee's credit rating, and remedies that may include additional collateral, but the idea that any lessee is going to sign an agreement that puts them on the hook based on the credit rating of the lessor's insurance provider [over which they have absolutely no control] is absurd imo.

Comment

Originally posted by GRG55 View Post
                        This doesn't make logical sense to me at all. Do you have anything you can point to that shows exactly what the terms of the arrangements were?

Normally the lessor of the capital asset would take out the insurance to protect themselves against default by the lessee. There are likely to be covenants in the lease arrangements related to the lessee's credit rating, and remedies that may include additional collateral, but the idea that any lessee is going to sign an agreement that puts them on the hook based on the credit rating of the lessor's insurance provider [over which they have absolutely no control] is absurd imo.
                        Well spotted.

Comment

AIG and the Railroads

Read it and weap. Here are the links. There are many more. This is just one of the thousands of reasons why AIG had to be propped up & kept going:

“Lease-back” transactions -- in which transit agencies arranged for banks to purchase their Metro cars who then leased them back, have been severely harmed by the credit and financial crisis. These agreements required that they be insured by an AAA credit rated insurance agency. When insurance giants like AIG lost their AAA ratings, the sale lease-back arrangements unraveled, requiring affected transit agencies to pay out huge sums of money to the banks that brokered the agreements. The result is that most if not all of the country’s major transit agencies are on the hook for millions in penalties from the banks with whom the agreements were made.
                          http://moran.house.gov/list/press/va...etroTARP.shtml

Note who come out smelling like a rose: the bankster.

Same as for the widows & orphans the banksters conned into the SIV's (Special Investment Vehicles) for raping them when the CDO's and CDS's blew up. The bankster used the widows & orphans, university endowment funds, etc. as a human shield. Same human shield tactic as terrorists use, and you know how we feel about them terrorists.

http://www.reuters.com/article/bonds...42716420081031
                          Washington Transit in default due to AIG credit rating drop, $16 billion default risk for industry sector.

http://www.aigrail.com/_415_39306.html
                          AIG's website & their involvement in railcar scam

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/to...-industry.aspx
                          Greenbrier, manufacturer of railcars is in tank due to possible cancellation of 12,000 brand new railcars for scam, funded by GE Capital.

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv...29334920080811
                          GE's $3 billion railcar lease business

Once they started it about 30 yrs ago, they have been going "peddle to the metal" ever since. Now all that is at risk at huge expense to unwind. If it's really bad now, wait till the interest rates go into hyper-inflation. They often used CDO's & CDS's to hedge that contigency, but of course those hedges aren't worth much as counter-party will probably default, leaving the railways on the hook, and 100% exposed.

What will the bankers say then? I can hear it now, "Well, we disclosed in the fine print that there may be risks, and we offered for the bank to sell you top-up insurance (doubling or trebling the bank's fees) for this eventuality, but you chose to accept that risk and just go with AIG. Too bad, better luck next time."

Now, hucksters are trying similar sell-leaseback schemes with underwater homeowners who are looking for an out: http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=ca
                          In this case, a judge nailed the snakes for fraud against the homeowner.
                          Last edited by Glenn Black; March 27, 2009, 06:36 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Re: AIG and the Railroads

Read it and weap. Here are the links. There are many more. This is just one of the thousands of reasons why AIG had to be propped up & kept going:

http://moran.house.gov/list/press/va...etroTARP.shtml

Note who come out smelling like a rose: the bankster.

Same as for the widows & orphans the banksters conned into the SIV's (Special Investment Vehicles) for raping them when the CDO's and CDS's blew up. The bankster used the widows & orphans, university endowment funds, etc. as a human shield. Same human shield tactic as terrorists use, and you know how we feel about them terrorists.

http://www.reuters.com/article/bonds...42716420081031
                            Washington Transit in default due to AIG credit rating drop, $16 billion default risk for industry sector.

http://www.aigrail.com/_415_39306.html
                            AIG's website & their involvement in railcar scam

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/to...-industry.aspx
                            Greenbrier, manufacturer of railcars is in tank due to possible cancellation of 12,000 brand new railcars for scam, funded by GE Capital.

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv...29334920080811
                            GE's $3 billion railcar lease business

Once they started it about 30 yrs ago, they have been going "peddle to the metal" ever since. Now all that is at risk at huge expense to unwind. If it's really bad now, wait till the interest rates go into hyper-inflation. They often used CDO's & CDS's to hedge that contigency, but of course those hedges aren't worth much as counter-party will probably default, leaving the railways on the hook, and 100% exposed.

What will the bankers say then? I can hear it now, "Well, we disclosed in the fine print that there may be risks, and we offered for the bank to sell you top-up insurance (doubling or trebling the bank's fees) for this eventuality, but you chose to accept that risk and just go with AIG. Too bad, better luck next time."

Now, hucksters are trying similar sell-leaseback schemes with underwater homeowners who are looking for an out: http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=ca
                            In this case, a judge nailed the snakes for fraud against the homeowner.
                            Glenn: Thanks for the work to dig out all the links. You have quite an extensive mixture here. However, I would still not assess every part of this activity as a "scam", and all the players as crooks.

Leasing of capital equipment is a legitimate business. It's done in almost every capital intensive industry sector including aircraft and oil & gas equipment, for example. Even office space is most often leased to companies.

We all know the reasons for this, including avoiding having capital tied up in aspects of the business that are necessary to function but not core to success or growth, tax policies that favour expense deductions over capital deductions, and a FIRE economy influence that forced too much emphasis on short-term returns [ROCE looks better the smaller the denominator ].

Leasing does make a lot of sense if done for the right reasons. For example rails cars, wide body commercial jets, and natural gas compressors [among other things] are just commodities now. No company that uses them can gain any competitive advantage by owning them outright. Railways are really logistics companies to move raw materials and containers now, no different from FedEx except the boxes are bigger. Airline companies are the same, except they move people...does anybody really care if the airplane they fly on is an Airbus 330 or Boeing 777? Line 'em up, pack 'em in, move 'em out...

But subway or transit cars??? The public entities that run these systems are not competing with anyone. They have a monopoly over the service, and their goal should be to provide to the public an acceptable level of reliable service frequency, with a very high level of safety, at the lowest practical cost. They aren't playing any stock market games trying to get their returns higher than the competition and game their options package. So why in hell would they do what they did? Probably because their political masters kept skinning their budgets to keep taxes low, and at the end of the day selling off the rolling stock to raise some money looked good compared to trying to sell the voters and your elected political bosses on another fare hike.

That the banksters took advantage of naive civil servants negotiating with them across the table probably doesn't surprise anybody, does it? For all we know the transit managers gave away the farm not only from ignorance [how many would have any experience with these sorts of arrangements] but a wee bit 'o greed too. After all it's easier to give yourself raises when the coffers are newly overflowing [which no doubt helps ease the pain of not having any stock options like your private sector brother-in-law...]

Unfortunately there's no law against making a bad deal. Hang the banksters, but let's remember that it takes two to tango. And just like all those municipal officials all around the world that used public funds entrusted to them to purchase ABCP and CDOs without actually knowing what they were buying, these transit officials failed in their basic fiduciary responsibilities to their constituents because they too didn't have a clue what the hell they were really agreeing to. Only a complete idiot would agree to terms that require them to carry a liability/penalty based on the credit rating of a third party company [the insurer] over which they have absolutely diddly squat influence. Unbelievable...
                            Last edited by GRG55; March 27, 2009, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X