Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did some people get rich during the Great Depression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did some people get rich during the Great Depression?

There's a meme that's been around for a long time that some people got very rich as a result of the Great Depression -- as though they were able to do something during that period that wouldn't have been possible otherwise.

Does anyone have concrete examples?

I can see how some might have done well during WW II and the buildup beforehand -- but that's different than the Depression.

Re: How did some people get rich during the Great Depression?

Jean Paul Getty

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
      There's a meme that's been around for a long time that some people got very rich as a result of the Great Depression -- as though they were able to do something during that period that wouldn't have been possible otherwise.

Does anyone have concrete examples?

I can see how some might have done well during WW II and the buildup beforehand -- but that's different than the Depression.
      A popular approach for the wealthy was to put money into gold because the Hoover administration protected the gold price at $20.67 as real estate prices, for example, fell 80% in an asset and commodities price deflation. Selling gold to buy real estate was common until FDR killed the trade with gold confiscation and re-pricing.
      Ed.

Comment

Joseph P. Kennedy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_P_Kennedy

Kennedy's tour of the UK with one of FDR's sons in tow, acquiring liguour distributerships was prescient, as well as classic crony capitalism.

Comment

they sold a million apples at 10 cents a piece.

Comment

Some great things were done at this time, yes try to think of it as a process of rebrith sort of thing.

BTW
            http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-public-sector
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by hayekvindicated View Post
              All that Wikipedia says about Getty's investments during the Great Depression is that he invested "shrewdly." That doesn't tell me much.

Slightly OT, but my great-grandfather's brother was chief attorney at Tidewater Oil and worked directly with Getty for years. From what I've heard, it wasn't a particularly pleasant job.

Comment

Brown & Root, infrastructure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_and_Root

Texas, what can I say?

Comment

Originally posted by FRED View Post
                  Selling gold to buy real estate was common until FDR killed the trade with gold confiscation and re-pricing.
                  Originally posted by walenk View Post
                  Joseph P. Kennedy
                  Wikipedia says Kennedy increased his fortune from $4M in 1929 to $180M in 1935 by investing in real estate.

It sounds like one common theme here is buying assets at artificially depressed prices that then enter a boom in the recovery phase. No surprise, I guess.

Comment

Nevada responded to the depression by liberalizing gaming as well as easing the legal requirements for divorce. Reno became synonamous with divorce. Many opportunities were created.
                    One of the prominent names associated was William Harrah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Harrah

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                      All that Wikipedia says about Getty's investments during the Great Depression is that he invested "shrewdly." That doesn't tell me much.

Slightly OT, but my great-grandfather's brother was chief attorney at Tidewater Oil and worked directly with Getty for years. From what I've heard, it wasn't a particularly pleasant job.
                      Oil prices crashed at the start of the Depression. Getty bought a lot of oil companies at throwaway prices. When prices recovered, he made a fortune.

Comment

Originally posted by hayekvindicated View Post
                        He had fifty or sixty billion dollars, and he had a pay-phone installed on his estate to make certain that he might rake-in the last dime from his visitors. He especially resented visitors and guests making long distance calls at his expense.

"The meek shall inherit the Earth but not the mineral rights." (Jean Paul Getty)

Comment

Radio matured during the depression.
                          William S. Paley and CBS hit the big time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Paley

Comment

Originally posted by FRED View Post
                            A popular approach for the wealthy was to put money into gold because the Hoover administration protected the gold price at $20.67 as real estate prices, for example, fell 80% in an asset and commodities price deflation. Selling gold to buy real estate was common until FDR killed the trade with gold confiscation and re-pricing.
                            Sounds just what Charles MacKay did [sell housing - buy gold] and perhaps plans to do in reverse eventually?

Comment

My grandparents bought foreclosed houses from the bank extremely cheaply, then put renters in at enough for $0 cash flow or better. Sometimes it was the original owner who just got evicted by bank. They kept their best units until the 1970's, others they sold off earlier as the price was right, often the current tenant.

Comment

Working...
                              X