Climate Change Deniers at It Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climate Change Deniers at It Again

This time George Will - with a piece so full of lies that a 5th grader could have demolished it.

Fortunately these two pieces do a much more thorough job.

We're well into 'there are no scientific studies that prove the link between tobacco and cancer' territory now. Expect more and more of this as the mountain of overwhelming evidence grows.

Re: Climate Change Deniers at It Again

I am a complete skeptic when it comes to this. Furthermore, even if climate is changing, so what??

Who is gonna say this is bad or good.

And is this sufficient justification for increasing the scope of an already totalitarian state?

Comment

Slimy eco-mafia trying to soak us for some fraudulent extorted money again. If global warming is real, let's just wait for it to show up, then we'll at least know we are spending our hard earned bucks on abating something that's real. Why can't these guys understand that's the only prudent way to approach this? [a brilliant risk adjusted solution.] Watch the money! Someone's always gonna try to steal it from you with a scam, right? :confused: :p :rolleyes:

TECHNOLOGY TRUMPS ECOLOGICAL STRESS.jpg
      Last edited by Contemptuous; February 17, 2009, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Grape you got a funny concept of 'Totalitarian.'

If you just don't believe, no problem. That's faith - and I wouldn't argue with you.

But if you're going to use facts and figures, like Will does, and if you're going to print them in a major U.S. daily, as The Washington Post did, you have an obligation to argue your position honestly.

I'll stick with the scientists on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by WDCRob View Post
          Grape you got a funny concept of 'Totalitarian.'

If you just don't believe, no problem. That's faith - and I wouldn't argue with you.

But if you're going to use facts and figures, like Will does, and if you're going to print them in a major U.S. daily, as The Washington Post did, you have an obligation to argue your position honestly.

I'll stick with the scientists on this one.
          Scientists disagree on this. Which ones will you stick with?

Isn't science easily manipulated when most of its practitioners suck upon the government teat for their living?

My experience with most scientists is that they are naive political statists. Exactly how the global warming myth plays so well.

Remember, we have some data and we have a lot of computer models. That's the science behind this whole thing. Ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by grapejelly View Post
            Scientists disagree on this. Which ones will you stick with?

Isn't science easily manipulated when most of its practitioners suck upon the government teat for their living?

My experience with most scientists is that they are naive political statists. Exactly how the global warming myth plays so well.

Remember, we have some data and we have a lot of computer models. That's the science behind this whole thing. Ridiculous.
            Spot on. We had the same amount of data, models, "experts" and "consensus" related to the derivatives in the financial market. Care to remember?

I understand very little in the climate science, but I am very familiar with political propaganda. I still don't want to take sides in this debate, but the pro-warming side clearly behaves like a bunch of political thugs.
            медведь

Comment

Two links - The first one has a graph of the satellite data - there isn't a hockey stick as predicted by the global warming team.

http://xtronics.com/reference/globalwarming.htm

The second link reminds me of how they got the feds to go along with 80:1 leveraging - computer models..

http://climateaudit.org/

Not interested in joining this religion -

Comment

So, it's settled then. George F. Will wrote a solid, sound piece demystifying Climate Change? WDC Rob, seems you need to get with the program here. :confused: :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by Lukester View Post
                  Slimy eco-mafia trying to soak us for some fraudulent extorted money again. If global warming is real, let's just wait for it to show up, then we'll at least know we are spending our hard earned bucks on abating something that's real. Why can't these guys understand that's the only prudent way to approach this? [a brilliant risk adjusted solution.] Watch the money! Someone's always gonna try to steal it from you with a scam, right? :eek: :rolleyes:
                  I'm with you Luke, it's all bull!

Clearly the CO2 chart below shows that it is forming a head and shoulder top and is up against resistance at 386 PPM. The long term Elliot wave analysis shows it is in a major D wave of a minor C wave which means it can only go down. The RSI and Fast stochastic indicators are showing that CO2 is overbought and due for a correction. The 50,000 year moving average is still below the 1 million year moving average so the trend will certainly run out of steam. And the fractal pattern is showing very low energy levels at these levels.

How can anyone dispute this? You're all crazy if you don't short CO2 now!

Comment

I'm chronically short on the Oxygen, but that's probably a subjective benchmark on my part. Long CO2 seems a good bet for the next ten years. What about the bollinger bands? You forgot the bollinger bands on the 200,000 year moving average dude.

Comment

The scientists don't disagree.

IIRC, in the last several years there hasn't been a single peer-reviewed article in an internationally recognized journal that disagrees with the fundamental premise that the globe is warming, and is very likely doing so due to human activity. None.

The consequences are unknown, and there's disagreement over some of the mechanisms and etc - but the central point is unchallenged by credible science in 2009.

The fact there's confusion on this point is primarily due to the a media that chooses to treat paid hacks as 'scientists' deserving of equal time. It truly is equivalent to having tobacco industry spokespeople in TV in 1974 saying there has been no link proved between tobacco and cancer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lukester View Post
                        So, it's settled then. George F. Will wrote a solid, sound piece demystifying Climate Change? WDC Rob, seems you need to get with the program here. :confused: :rolleyes:
                        Lukester, you seem to be missing the point. Nobody here is talking about GW (George Will) and his writings (except, maybe, you and WDCRob). I never read anything he wrote, saw him on TV a couple of times, but did not listen.

I, personally, am a complete agnostic on GW (Global Warming). I will not become an expert, just because I read your posts or some popular books on the climate science. I just know, what scientific discourse is, and I don't see one, GW or not.
                        медведь

Comment

Climate Change Deniers at It Again

Medved. We are avoiding taking too serious a position here, as it's clear that there is no "meeting of the minds", so I don't think I was missing anyone's point. BTW, please note, that this thread was started by WDC Rob specifically to examine the merit of George F. Will's article on climate change, which I think would be appreciated as generally a weak article on the "debunking" side, by many peoples description.

Whether climate change has merit or not was in fact a secondary discussion. At least to my own understanding, the primary topic of this thread was WDCRob mentioning people like George Will in the print media who capture a lot of people's endorsements by means of dubious, or a-prior slanted journalistic investigation. George Will's piece approaches the topic with an "agenda", which is the very definition of poor journalism.

On that much, I am entirely clear, and entirely in agreement with Rob.

For the rest, everyone should lighten up. It's way too easy to get into a serious state of anger about this topic. I learned to hold it at arm's length a long time ago. Always appreciate your comments, "Mr. Bear". Please remember, a thread is "about" whatever the thread originator stated it was "about". In this case, George Will's shrill sounding journalism on this question.

Originally posted by medved View Post
                          Lukester, you seem to be missing the point. Nobody here is talking about GW (George Will) and his writings (except, maybe, you and WDCRob). I never read anything he wrote, saw him on TV a couple of times, but did not listen.

I, personally, am a complete agnostic on GW (Global Warming). I will not become an expert, just because I read your posts or some popular books on the climate science. I just know, what scientific discourse is, and I don't see one, GW or not.
                          Last edited by Contemptuous; February 17, 2009, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Just my own opinion, but if you find that this article satisfies your intellectual curiosity, and allays all your doubts and concerns on the global warming controversy, IMO you are being taken for a patsy. Keep right on reading the Washington Post and the untutored musings of this author, and broaden your horizons.

Doubtless there will be no shortage of others to agree with you, and support the opinions George Will propounds. In their collectivity (and within yet more sanguine and patronizing articles such as this which doubtless will be published) you will find solace for the general feeling of undefined irritability this topic arouses.

We all have likely had the experience of an elderly relative who, when hauled along to parties and gatherings and whatnot, embarasses everyone slightly by telling the same anecdotes over and over again? That feeling of weariness we all get when this occurs, is similar to the feeling of weariness I feel reading the same old and tired anecdotes Mr. Will hauls out to "put this question to rest once and for all".

You are certainly very industrious, witty and erudite, Mr. Will. A pity that in your "golden years" and with a bully pulpit such as the WashPost at your feet wherein you can engage in punditry to your heart's content, you are relapsing into such a painfully ossified approach to genuine investigation.

Dark Green Doomsayers (a.k.a. George F. Will & the "Debunking of the Hoary Shibboleths" :rolleyes.

By George F. Will

Sunday, February 15, 2009; Page B07

A corollary of Murphy's Law ("If something can go wrong, it will") is: "Things are worse than they can possibly be." Energy Secretary Steven Chu, an atomic physicist, seems to embrace that corollary but ignores Gregg Easterbrook's "Law of Doomsaying": Predict catastrophe no sooner than five years hence but no later than 10 years away, soon enough to terrify but distant enough that people will forget if you are wrong. Chu recently told the Los Angeles Times that global warming might melt 90 percent of California's snowpack, which stores much of the water needed for agriculture. This, Chu said, would mean "no more agriculture in California," the nation's leading food producer. Chu added: "I don't actually see how they can keep their cities going."

No more lettuce for Los Angeles? Chu likes predictions, so here is another: Nine decades hence, our great-great-grandchildren will add the disappearance of California artichokes to the list of predicted planetary calamities that did not happen. Global cooling recently joined that lengthening list.

In the 1970s, "a major cooling of the planet" was "widely considered inevitable" because it was "well established" that the Northern Hemisphere's climate "has been getting cooler since about 1950" (New York Times, May 21, 1975). Although some disputed that the "cooling trend" could result in "a return to another ice age" (the Times, Sept. 14, 1975), others anticipated "a full-blown 10,000-year ice age" involving "extensive Northern Hemisphere glaciation" (Science News, March 1, 1975, and Science magazine, Dec. 10, 1976, respectively).

The "continued rapid cooling of the Earth" (Global Ecology, 1971) meant that "a new ice age must now stand alongside nuclear war as a likely source of wholesale death and misery" (International Wildlife, July 1975). "The world's climatologists are agreed" that we must "prepare for the next ice age" (Science Digest, February 1973). Because of "ominous signs" that "the Earth's climate seems to be cooling down," meteorologists were "almost unanimous" that "the trend will reduce agricultural productivity for the rest of the century," perhaps triggering catastrophic famines. (Newsweek cover story, "The Cooling World," April 28, 1975).

Armadillos were fleeing south from Nebraska, heat-seeking snails were retreating from Central European forests, the North Atlantic was "cooling down about as fast as an ocean can cool," glaciers had "begun to advance" and "growing seasons in England and Scandinavia are getting shorter" (Christian Science Monitor, Aug. 27, 1974). Speaking of experts, in 1980 Paul Ehrlich, a Stanford scientist and environmental Cassandra who predicted calamitous food shortages by 1990, accepted a bet with economist Julian Simon.

When Ehrlich predicted the imminent exhaustion of many nonrenewable natural resources, Simon challenged him: Pick a "basket" of any five such commodities, and I will wager that in a decade the price of the basket will decline, indicating decreased scarcity. Ehrlich picked five metals -- chrome, copper, nickel, tin and tungsten -- that he predicted would become more expensive. Not only did the price of the basket decline, the price of all five declined.

An expert Ehrlich consulted in picking the five was John Holdren, who today is President Obama's science adviser. Credentialed intellectuals, too -- actually, especially -- illustrate Montaigne's axiom: "Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know." As global levels of sea ice declined last year, many experts said this was evidence of man-made global warming. Since September, however, the increase in sea ice has been the fastest change, either up or down, since 1979, when satellite record-keeping began. According to the University of Illinois' Arctic Climate Research Center, global sea ice levels now equal those of 1979.

An unstated premise of eco-pessimism is that environmental conditions are, or recently were, optimal. The proclaimed faith of eco-pessimists is weirdly optimistic: These optimal conditions must and can be preserved or restored if government will make us minimize our carbon footprints and if government will "remake" the economy. Because of today's economy, another law -- call it the Law of Clarifying Calamities -- is being (redundantly) confirmed. On graphs tracking public opinion, two lines are moving in tandem and inversely: The sharply rising line charts public concern about the economy, the plunging line follows concern about the environment.

A recent Pew Research Center poll asked which of 20 issues should be the government's top priorities. Climate change ranked 20th. Real calamities take our minds off hypothetical ones. Besides, according to the U.N. World Meteorological Organization, there has been no recorded global warming for more than a decade, or one-third of the span since the global cooling scare.

georgewill@washpost.com

(If someone were inclined to forward my comments to Mr. Will, I would only be grateful.)

Comment

Can you provide examples of a large majority of scientists coming to the same wrong conclusion because they "suck upon the teat of government?"

If scientists only conclude what the state wants them to then how come they frequently make conclusions that are often awkward to the powers that be?

the earth isn't flat
                              it revolves around the sun
                              smoking is bad for you
                              nuclear fall out is bad
                              the ozone layer is thinning
                              polluting rivers is bad
                              seatbelts save lives
                              planting seeds in straight lines with spaces between them is a good idea
                              vaccinations are worth having

Oh I know cos they just want to poke their noses in and tell people they may have to alter their behaviour -the interfering geeks.

I spoke to a professor of atmospherics recently and he assured me there was plenty of evidence to support global warming. I didn't get the impression he was saying it to keep his job. After all he had his job before global warming was a widely accepted theory.

Comment

Working...
                              X