X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In An Instant, Retirement Savings Vanish

ouch! watch out!

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2007/01/one...ave.html#posts

p.s. btw I NEVER access my brokerage account online. if you so, call your brokerage tomorrow and tell them to discontinue service. it's the only way to be safe. if you want to trade online, create a separate account and put some money in it, but never trade your main account. NEVER EVER!

IN AN INSTANT, RETIREMENT SAVINGS VANISH

One moment Dave DeSmidt had $179,000 in his 401(k) retirement account, the next he had nothing. In an instant, 25 years of savings had disappeared.

With a few clicks, someone raided DeSmidt’s retirement account with J.P. Morgan & Co and ordered a full disbursement to a private checking account.

Then came the really bad news. While credit card and online banking accounts are legally protected in the event of fraud, DeSmidt’s brokerage account came with no such insurance. Two months after the theft, his balance still read $0.

With hacking of brokerage accounts increasing, the legal gap facing DeSmidt and other victims has regulators and critics debating the need for new consumer protections.

‘I don’t have a clue’
    The theft was the shock of a lifetime for DeSmidt, who plans to retire in a few years with his wife in their Mukwonango, Wis., home.

"That was a pretty good chunk of what we were going to retire on," DeSmidt said. "I don't have a clue how it happened."

The theft occurred on Oct. 23, while DeSmidt was on assignment for his company in China, near Shanghai. Just before lunch, someone else logged onto J.P. Morgan's Web site from a computer connected to the Internet through Comcast Cable Communications in Cherry Hill, N.J., and entered DeSmidt's user ID and personal access code.

While DeSmidt slept on the other side of the world, his imposter found that he had a balance of $179,000.43 in his account. A few more clicks, and the DeSmidts’ linked checking account was changed to a Bank of America account and an electronic transfer of all available funds was requested.
    Last edited by metalman; January 05, 2007, 06:31 PM.

Re: In An Instant, Retirement Savings Vanish

Interesting, isn't the problem here that the guy already had a checking account linked to his 401K account? I can't imagine how anyone could actually access your account and transfere the money otherwise.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    - Charles Mackay

Comment

Originally posted by metalman
      ouch! watch out!

p.s. btw I NEVER access my brokerage account online. if you so, call your brokerage tomorrow and tell them to discontinue service. it's the only way to be safe. if you want to trade online, create a separate account and put some money in it, but never trade your main account. NEVER EVER!
      Metalman,

With your name, I thought you had it all buried in the backyard.

To me not to have online brokerage availability is a giant step back into time, which I do not care to take. I think you are over reacting.
      Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Nickerson
        Metalman,

With your name, I thought you had it all buried in the backyard.

To me not to have online brokerage availability is a giant step back into time, which I do not care to take. I think you are over reacting.
        Much agreed, Jim. I simply could not invest effectively or efficiently without my precious online brokerage account. Moreover, one wonders what magic wall of security protects non-online accounts ... after all if computers can be hacked, they are vulnerable, too.

I'd echo the comment on RedTape from Dave suggesting that perhaps SIPC and other insurance coverage needs to be reexamined. This is the kind of non-market loss one would expect to be covered.
        Finster

Comment

Originally posted by Finster
          Much agreed, Jim. I simply could not invest effectively or efficiently without my precious online brokerage account. Moreover, one wonders what magic wall of security protects non-online accounts ... after all if computers can be hacked, they are vulnerable, too.

I'd echo the comment on RedTape from Dave suggesting that perhaps SIPC and other insurance coverage needs to be reexamined. This is the kind of non-market loss one would expect to be covered.
          Brokers develop relationships with their clients. Hard to fake out someone who's been chatting with your target for the last year or so..

Comment

Originally posted by blazespinnaker
            Brokers develop relationships with their clients. Hard to fake out someone who's been chatting with your target for the last year or so..
            Gratified to learn you too agree, Blaze. Putting online brokers in the spotlight might have left the impression that they were the only ones developing relationships with their clients.
            Finster

Comment

Working...
            X