Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copper down 10%; what will happen to non-Gold metals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper down 10%; what will happen to non-Gold metals?

One of the things that is currently troubling me as I running through my investments right now is what will happen with other metals such as copper. Copper has already lost 10% just in the first 2 days of trading on the nymex, and is down significantly since the beginning of december.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/co...istorical.html

I am asking this question mostly due to a lack of clarity. We talk about gold so much, I feel like I have a good grip on the fundamentals of gold at this point. I understand why gold has held up even as copper has taken a recent nosedive.

What I'm not so sure on is metals that are not used as reserves, as I'm not sure why copper has lost it's value over the past month. I'm interested in copper most specifically, but also more generally aluminum, zinc, lead, nickel, etc. Is it pretty much hard wired that if we enter a domestic or global recession all these metals will take a tumble as demand eases?

-DemonD

Re: Copper down 10%; what will happen to non-Gold metals?

Originally posted by DemonD
    What I'm not so sure on is metals that are not used as reserves, as I'm not sure why copper has lost it's value over the past month. I'm interested in copper most specifically, but also more generally aluminum, zinc, lead, nickel, etc. Is it pretty much hard wired that if we enter a domestic or global recession all these metals will take a tumble as demand eases?-DemonD
    One should ask the question, over half of Chile's copper exports go to China, what currency or barter arangement do you think that copper trades in? Keep in mind this would be a very recent development considering Allende hasn't held office in Chile for very long. Copper is still a nationalized industry in Chile, remember Allende's father wanted to nationalize copper but he was killed. Pinochet came in plundered the country and then ended up nationalizing copper. China has made some major investments into Chiles copper industry, so I would imagine the terms would be favorable to China.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    - Charles Mackay

Comment

Working...
    X