• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metaphor for our times? Picture of US airways water landing

Are you raft or are you wing?

First or Economy?

crash-raft1.jpg

Yes I know, rafts at the front due to plane's escape plan design.

But still a good metaphor...

Re: Metaphor for our times? Picture of US airways water landing

even the picture crashed

Photo of Hudson River plane crash downs TwitPic

Comment

"Metaphor for our times?" -- except here, the guys in charge made some pretty good decisions, and no-one got hurt.
      It's Economics vs Thermodynamics. Thermodynamics wins.

Comment

Somebody give that pilot an award!! heck give him and entire award ceremony!
        Warning: Network Engineer talking economics!

Comment

Originally posted by Adeptus View Post
          Somebody give that pilot an award!! heck give him and entire award ceremony!
          He will get publicity

He is due to appear on the NBC Today Show on Monday, the first of many planned TV appearances. The captain will also attend Barack Obama's inauguration with his family, who are flying in from their home in Danville, California.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...son-River.html

Comment

"The Economist says that this photo is "one of the most apt visual metaphors for the crisis yet". I'm not sure that it isn't literally true. After all, Charlotte is a banking center, and 23 of the passengers worked at Bank of America alone. I'd say that the passengers in the 12 first-class seats at the front of the plane were disproportionately likely to be bankers, no?"

taxbank.jpghttp://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/market-movers/2009/01/17/bankers-first?tid=true

Fair to ask: how did both engines fail at the same time? As usual, the Mainstream Media fails to ask any questions in its need to create Feel Good Stories (think Pat Tillman) in these Troubled Times. I would prefer just the facts and a healthy journalistic skepticism of all corporate and government press releases and explanations. The lack of that skepticism has gotten us to where we are today.

Comment

Originally posted by petertribo View Post
              "The Economist says that this photo is "one of the most apt visual metaphors for the crisis yet". I'm not sure that it isn't literally true. After all, Charlotte is a banking center, and 23 of the passengers worked at Bank of America alone. I'd say that the passengers in the 12 first-class seats at the front of the plane were disproportionately likely to be bankers, no?"

[ATTACH]973[/ATTACH]http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/market-movers/2009/01/17/bankers-first?tid=true

Fair to ask: how did both engines fail at the same time? As usual, the Mainstream Media fails to ask any questions in its need to create Feel Good Stories (think Pat Tillman) in these Troubled Times. I would prefer just the facts and a healthy journalistic skepticism of all corporate and government press releases and explanations. The lack of that skepticism has gotten us to where we are today.
              The pilot has already explained that he thought he still had thrust from one of the two engines and was going back to land on the strip. He then figured out that both engines had been taken out; he then floated over Manhattan and landed in the center of the Hudson. The A320 is capable of running on one engine for a few.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcopper View Post
                The pilot has already explained that he thought he still had thrust from one of the two engines and was going back to land on the strip. He then figured out that both engines had been taken out; he then floated over Manhattan and landed in the center of the Hudson. The A320 is capable of running on one engine for a few.
                Commercial jet engines are incredibly robust and reliable. The loss of both engines is extremely rare. So rare that certain twin engine long-haul commercial aircraft are approved for trans-oceanic routes, including the very long overwater flights to Australia's east and west coast cities.

Fuel starvation results in a sequential engine loss [see accident reports for Air Canada Flt 143, July 1983; Air Transat Flt 236, Aug 2001; or the interim report for BA Flt 38 B777 hull-loss at Heathrow in Jan 2008]. The speculation that this simultaneous failure was due to foreign body ingestion would seem reasonable. Regardless, the FAA investigation will figure it out. This section of the FAA might be one of the few parts of its government that citizens of the USA should still have confidence in.

Comment

Working...
                X