Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel At 'War to the Bitter End,' Strikes Key Hamas Sites

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,473448,00.html

Israel's defense minister said Monday the country is engaged in a "war to the bitter end" against Hamas in the Gaza Strip and said the military operation against the terror group would continue and intensify.

"We have stretched our hand in peace many times to the Palestinian people. We have nothing against the people of Gaza," Ehud Barak said to a special session of parliament. "But this is an all-out war against Hamas and its branches. The restraint that we have demonstrated is the source of our strength when it is time to fight."

Re: Israel At 'War to the Bitter End,' Strikes Key Hamas Sites

I have been wondering if this flare-up is related at all to a possible sale of the S-300 air defense missile system to Iran.

Here's my thinking: The acquisition of the S-300 missile system by Iran is supposed to be a red line for an Israeli attack on Iran's nuclear program, because once installed, the S-300 is supposed to be good enough to defeat an aerial attack by Israel. Now, once the missiles are sold, they will take some time to install and integrate, during which Israel might make its pre-emptive strike. So, if Iran has enough pull with Hamas -- and Hamas was inclined to attack Israel at the end of the truce, anyway -- then maybe Iran organized a diversion to keep Israel occupied while the S-300's are brought on-line.

Comment

Originally posted by ASH View Post
      So, if Iran has enough pull with Hamas...
      That said, Hamas is a Sunni organization, and Iran is Shiite, so Iran's influence over Hamas and the degree of their cooperation must be fairly limited. I suppose if it was Hezbollah that was stirring up trouble, a connection would seem much more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by ASH View Post
        That said, Hamas is a Sunni organization, and Iran is Shiite, so Iran's influence over Hamas and the degree of their cooperation must be fairly limited. I suppose if it was Hezbollah that was stirring up trouble, a connection would seem much more likely.
        Sectarian divisions are not so hard and fast when comes to the complexities of ME politics. For example the Saudis have been known to support the Marinite Christians rather than the Sunni or Shi'ite factions in Lebanon. At times, Iran has been one of the strongest supporters of Hamas, both politically and financially.
        Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.

Comment

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend"

Comment

Working...
          X