Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Steel Pennies

Originally posted by ocelotl View Post
    Sorry to kill your intentions. It has been done here in Mexico, and it blew up. Please search and read about the history of both "Conasupo" and "Sisema Alimentario Mexicano".

Idealism is pretty and soul enhancing, the bad point is that the institutions it forms are run by humans that are prone to be ambitious and greedy.
    Please provide a few recommended links.
    http://www.NowAndTheFuture.com

Comment

Originally posted by bart View Post
      Please provide a few recommended links.

Let me check what's online and on english. SAM (Sistema Alimentario Mexicano) ran from 1980 to 1983, and Conasupo was liquidated in 1999. What survives of both of these are the Liconsa network and Gruma. Will report back in an addition to this message.

* Edition *

So far, only extended text I've found is in spanish, and quite short. As part of an extended documents that cover both histories, I found a series of books "Historia de la cuestión agraria Mexicana", will be checking them and include, time permitting, some translations.
      Last edited by ocelotl; May 17, 2008, 01:10 PM. Reason: sharing of results of quest.
      sigpic
      Attention: Electronics Engineer Learning Economics.

Comment

Re: A doomed currency

Somewhat related and a possible motivation (amongst others) for eventually moving away from printed / minted currency. As the article below indicates, I wouldn't expect this to be a sudden change.

WASHINGTON (AP) - The U.S. discriminates against blind people by printing paper money that makes it impossible for them to distinguish among the bills' varying values, a federal appeals court ruled Tuesday.

The ruling upholds a decision by a lower court in 2006. It could force the Treasury Department to redesign its money. Suggested changes have ranged from making bills different sizes to printing them with raised markings.

The American Council for the Blind sued for such changes but the Treasury Department has been fighting the case for about six years.

"I don't think we should have to rely on people to tell us what our money is," said Mitch Pomerantz, the council's president.

The U.S. acknowledges the design hinders blind people but it argued that blind people have adapted. Some relied on store clerks to help them, some used credit cards and others folded certain corners to help distinguish between bills.

The court ruled 2-1 that such adaptations were insufficient. The government might as well argue that, since handicapped people can crawl on all fours or ask for help from strangers, there's no need to make buildings wheelchair accessible, the court said.

Courts can't decide how to design the currency, since that's up to the Treasury Department. But the ruling forces the department to address what the court called a discriminatory problem.

Pomerantz says it could take years to change the look of money and until then, he expects that similar-looking money will continue to get printed and spent. But since blindness becomes more common with age, people in the 30s and 40s should know that, when they get older, "they will be able to identify their $1 bills from their fives, tens and twenties," he said.

Comment

Re: A doomed currency

???

why did they appeal the earlier decision?

????

Why did it even go to court in the first place?

Originally posted by zoog View Post
          Somewhat related and a possible motivation (amongst others) for eventually moving away from printed / minted currency. As the article below indicates, I wouldn't expect this to be a sudden change.

Comment

Originally posted by ocelotl View Post
            Let me check what's online and on english. SAM (Sistema Alimentario Mexicano) ran from 1980 to 1983, and Conasupo was liquidated in 1999. What survives of both of these are the Liconsa network and Gruma. Will report back in an addition to this message.

* Edition *

So far, only extended text I've found is in spanish, and quite short. As part of an extended documents that cover both histories, I found a series of books "Historia de la cuestión agraria Mexicana", will be checking them and include, time permitting, some translations.
            What about this?

Antonio Yunez-Naude, El Colegio de México, Mexico

Comment

Originally posted by babbittd View Post
              What about this?

Antonio Yunez-Naude, El Colegio de México, Mexico
              Thanks! This is precisely the type of document I was searching for.
              sigpic
              Attention: Electronics Engineer Learning Economics.

Comment

Working...
              X