Comparison of last two FOMC statements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparison of last two FOMC statements

(current statement in bold, previous unbolded)

For immediate release

The Federal Open Market Committee decided today to keep its target for the federal funds rate at 5-1/4 percent.

The Federal Open Market Committee decided today to keep its target for the federal funds rate at 5-1/4 percent.

Unchanged. No increase.

Economic growth has slowed over the course of the year, partly reflecting a substantial cooling of the housing market. Although recent indicators have been mixed, the economy seems likely to expand at a moderate pace on balance over coming quarters.

Economic growth has slowed over the course of the year, partly reflecting a cooling of the housing market. Going forward, the economy seems likely to expand at a moderate pace.

It is now a "substantial cooling" .. I believe however it is a wave to the currency dropping, ISM Services and PCE which show an inflating economy. IE, they are *more* hawkish than the last statement when there wasn't any 'mixed' signals. However, the "substantial cooling" does confuse things a bit.

Nonetheless, the Committee judges that some inflation risks remain. The extent and timing of any additional firming that may be needed to address these risks will depend on the evolution of the outlook for both inflation and economic growth, as implied by incoming information.
    Nonetheless, the Committee judges that some inflation risks remain. The extent and timing of any additional firming that may be needed to address these risks will depend on the evolution of the outlook for both inflation and economic growth, as implied by incoming information.

Unchanged. I guess they didn't want to panic the market with an imminent warning of a rate hike.

Voting for the FOMC monetary policy action were: Ben S. Bernanke, Chairman; Timothy F. Geithner, Vice Chairman; Susan S. Bies; Donald L. Kohn; Randall S. Kroszner; Frederic S. Mishkin; Sandra Pianalto; William Poole; Kevin M. Warsh; and Janet L. Yellen. Voting against was Jeffrey M. Lacker, who preferred an increase of 25 basis points in the federal funds rate target at this meeting.

Voting for the FOMC monetary policy action were: Ben S. Bernanke, Chairman; Timothy F. Geithner, Vice Chairman; Susan S. Bies; Donald L. Kohn; Randall S. Kroszner; Frederic S. Mishkin; Sandra Pianalto; William Poole; Kevin M. Warsh; and Janet L. Yellen. Voting against was Jeffrey M. Lacker, who preferred an increase of 25 basis points in the federal funds rate target at this meeting.

Same suspects as last time. Meaning that comparisons are valid between statements.
    Last edited by blazespinnaker; December 12, 2006, 03:00 PM.

Re: Comparison of last two FOMC statements

Nothing new here.

The fed will be reactive to a recession

The fed will be proactive to inflation/ protect the dollar

Will wait and see on the wars/ weather and if the flight from the US dollar is a marathon or a sprint.
    I one day will run with the big dogs in the world currency markets, and stick it to the man

Comment

I think there is something the market is missing.

Look for a speech to come out soon which is overly hawkish.

The fed is basically saying we're getting mixed signals rather than it being clear that economic growth was moderating. They added the "substantial cooling" with regards to the housing scene in order to show why they are not hiking.

Comment

Originally posted by blazespinnaker
        I think there is something the market is missing.

Look for a speech to come out soon which is overly hawkish.

The fed is basically saying we're getting mixed signals rather than it being clear that economic growth was moderating. They added the "substantial cooling" with regards to the housing scene in order to show why they are not hiking.

Watch what they do ,not what they say. They stayed pat. period
        I one day will run with the big dogs in the world currency markets, and stick it to the man

Comment

Working...
        X