• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A GOOD Read

http://www.portfolio.com/news-market...tid=true#page1

Mike

Re: A GOOD Read

I second the recommendation. It is an especially enjoyable read. For those of you who won't follow one of Mega's links without some idea what's on the other side, this is an article about various personalities from inside Wall Street who were skeptical about Wall Street. That said, I don't think you'll find any economic or investment insights in the piece -- it is mostly just for fun.

Comment

A great read, really. Michael Lewis is a fantastic writer.

Comment

Excellent insight into the shenanigans of Wall Street.

Comment

Christ, normally you're Mr. Hyperbole, but you understated this time. That was a GREAT read. Thanks.
          Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho

Comment

Great find Mega. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks Mike! Absolutely must read for anyone that hasn't yet. Problem is I know there are a hundred or more guys like this that are scheming the bailouts and coming crash, and odds are the Treasury just hired a bunch of them. We're screwed, but I guess we already knew that.

Comment

How close are we to the bottom?
                Wave 1 - denial of damage already done
                Wave 3 - Market reports lead every newscast (check)
                - Congressional investigations (check)
                - Bailouts (check)
                - More bailouts (check)
                - Michael Lewis "Tell all storoy"
                - Mass firings, few suicides
                - Even more bailouts
                Wave 5 - 60 Minutes "Tell all"
                - Movie
                - next "Sarbanes-Oxley"
                - new HGTV series "Bond-Trader"
                - currency controls

(need help with the rest)

Comment

they should license & play "The End" by the Doors as backround.

Even a crappy MIDI version would be good.

Or "Taboo" by Nusrat Fatih Ali Khan, track 14 on Natural Born Killers I think.

Comment

Awesome read. I like how he descibes eisman's journey of learning how rooted wall st was. I don't think anyone ever learns the full extent, its too big a monster! I agree with the sentiments executive or trader renumeration is at the heart of the debacle; this is where the regulation has to be; let the outcome of the excesses be proof that no-one is worth that kind of money.

Comment

Great story. Thanks~

Comment

"update"

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aKn.A9dgoN8k

If you want to hear Michael Lewis I posted a link to an interview with him about his great book "Moneyball"

http://itulip.com/forums/showthread....urce#post32164

And another related Michael Lewis article
                        http://itulip.com/forums/showthread....lewis#post9257

In case bloomberg moves this current one I pointed to somewhere un-findable,

Nov. 17 (Bloomberg) --

To: Henry Paulson

Re: My TARP Funding

Dear Secretary Paulson:

First, allow me to explain that unfortunate incident the other morning in the Treasury men’s room. I failed to observe best practices.

Faced with a dozen empty urinals one should always put some space between oneself and a lone urinator. I took my place right beside you only because I hold you and everything you do in such high regard. If my whispered praise and steady gaze made you as uncomfortable as you appeared to be, I take full responsibility.

Now, on to the business at hand. In our brief exchange you asked a very good question: Who do I think I am, sneaking into the Treasury and asking you for $5 billion?

Other People’s Money

The short answer: an American businessman. Obviously, I’m not unique. Looking around I see many of my former fellow champions of laissez-faire -- everyone from boat dealers to bond insurers -- traveling to Washington to ask for their government’s assistance. Most of these people aren’t worthy of other people’s money, much less your precious time.

EDIT: shouldn't have included the whole thing ... <... cut ... >

So finally let me say my request to you comes not out of greed but patriotism. I ask not what my country can do for me, but for what my country can lend to me.

(Michael Lewis, author of “Liar’s Poker,” “Moneyball,” and “The Blind Side,” is a columnist for Bloomberg News. The opinions he expresses are his own.)

To contact the writer of this column: Michael Lewis at mlewis1@bloomberg.net
                        Last Updated: November 17, 2008 00:03 EST
                        Last edited by Spartacus; November 18, 2008, 05:57 PM.

Comment

^^^^^

Has Lewis been reading Finster? :eek:

Comment

Working...
                          X