X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vote for Obama. Here's why.

Originally posted by ThePythonicCow View Post
    But but what three mistakes? I can get as far as guessing that you are numbering Obama as mistake Number 3, but what are you numbering (or think I am numbering) as mistakes Numbers 1 and 2 ?
    Thought that was obvious: the past 2 elections of course...since you said "I watch people. I know him. America just made a serious mistake."
    What you guys ever saw in Bush jr. I'll never understand, especially vs Gore in 2000

Comment

Originally posted by ThePythonicCow View Post
      Fewer and fewer Americans understand the difference between (1) a limited government, formed by responsible citizens to accomplish certain tasks for the common good, within specific enumerated powers, and (2) a government that provides for and is responsible for the general well being of its subjects, providing them with various benefits misnamed as "rights".

The founding notion of America, that we all have unalienable rights, preordained by our Creator, not doled out by some government, and that governments have only limited authority, voluntarilly consented to and perhaps later withdrawn by those forming it, all seem like a quaint anachronism to what is now, clearly by this election, a majority of voting Americans.

[Insert sound of Taps playing on a lone, sad bugle ]
      PythonicCow - I get the sense you are a strong Republican, and that you took offense on a George Bush rant I made in another thread.

You and I are not so far apart on our wish for a small unobtrusive goverment. But how did you reconcile your believe in a small, limited authority goverment with the big goverment, big spending goverment of the last 8 years.

I guess I'm asking you to speak as a representative of the people further right than I am. Unfair perhaps, but I am still curious.

The patriot act, unconstitutional wiretapping that violated the law, Dept of Homeland Security (doesn't that sound straight out of the USSR!), aggressive unilateral foreign policy, cronyism, and massive massive goverment spending. Massive socialization of our financial system. As they say ... privatize the gains and socialize the losses. A complete lack of interest in investigating the fraud and corruption that went on in Iraq. And nobody was accountable, when something went wrong, no one ever got fired. (Well, except for Brownie once the din got loud enough). The abandonment of the rule of law when it was inconvenient...

Didn't that drive you crazy? Or was it ok because it was done by "your" party?

See I believe, perhaps unfairly, that those who support George Bush's policies and directions would have gone absolutely crazy if Bill Clinton had instituted them. Or if Obama had been the one, then the cries of marxist would be extremely loud from the far right.

How is it you reconcile that? Or am I being unfair?
      (and this isn't limited to PythonicCow, anyone else conservative that would like to take this on, please - I am truly very curious and have been for a long time)

My father is one of the 27% that still favorably views George Bush. And that's fine. But it seems to me that he at least has double standards.

Comment

Originally posted by jdv View Post
        PythonicCow - I get the sense you are a strong Republican, and that you took offense on a George Bush rant I made in another thread.

You and I are not so far apart on our wish for a small unobtrusive goverment. But how did you reconcile your believe in a small, limited authority goverment with the big goverment, big spending goverment of the last 8 years.

I guess I'm asking you to speak as a representative of the people further right than I am. Unfair perhaps, but I am still curious.

The patriot act, unconstitutional wiretapping that violated the law, Dept of Homeland Security (doesn't that sound straight out of the USSR!), aggressive unilateral foreign policy, cronyism, and massive massive goverment spending. Massive socialization of our financial system. As they say ... privatize the gains and socialize the losses. A complete lack of interest in investigating the fraud and corruption that went on in Iraq. And nobody was accountable, when something went wrong, no one ever got fired. (Well, except for Brownie once the din got loud enough). The abandonment of the rule of law when it was inconvenient...

Didn't that drive you crazy? Or was it ok because it was done by "your" party?

See I believe, perhaps unfairly, that those who support George Bush's policies and directions would have gone absolutely crazy if Bill Clinton had instituted them. Or if Obama had been the one, then the cries of marxist would be extremely loud from the far right.

How is it you reconcile that? Or am I being unfair?
        (and this isn't limited to PythonicCow, anyone else conservative that would like to take this on, please - I am truly very curious and have been for a long time)

My father is one of the 27% that still favorably views George Bush. And that's fine. But it seems to me that he at least has double standards.
        You are exactly right. A large number of people, perhaps even a majority, in both parties seem to be unable to think for themselves. These people simply point across the aisle and shout, "Foul!" when someone on the other team does something they disapprove of. When it is pointed out to them that someone in their own party did the same thing, they blame a biased media, or rationalize it away somehow.

I can only imagine the response from the left had Bush been caught having sex with an intern in the White House, had numerous sex scandals, blew up a foreign embassy, traded pardons for political favors, or any of the myriad of scandals that Clinton had.

Comment

• Thread Closed

This thread, along with the Election 2008 Forum, are a departure from our usual no-politics policy. Now that the election is over, we'd like our members to return to the primary focus of iTulip, the markets and economy.

Thank you everyone for your very thoughtful responses. Now let's figure out what this all means for our investments.
          Ed.

Comment

Working...
          X