Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post-crash iTulipers' portfolio condition poll

Originally posted by grapejelly View Post
    i'm down 50% on equities but up significantly on beans, tuna, peanut butter and corrugated boxes. Anyone seen a shopping cart that was there on the corner a minute ago?
    Oh, it was yours. I'm so sorry.

PS : I dodged the two previous downfalls (2007/2008), but not this one. All in all, I'm about minus 7 or 8 %
    on all the family portfolios I manage.
    Now I'm only on cash, gold and a small energy line.
    Now I'm a fresh iTuliper I might try to follow your advice from this side of the pond…

Comment

Hadn't checked around the site until today. Was away giving support with limited web access. If measured in MXN (pesos), as it is all valued, I dodged the euro downturn, but didn't get on boat in the last week rise. I'm still up for the year (need to check numbers) by 4-5%

Measured in USD, in the last two months I lost 36% at the worst (oct 9th, USD at 13.38 MXN spot) and so far since I've recovered 8% (oct 13th, 17:30 GMT, USD at 12.40 MXN spot)

* Edit *

12.15 MXN per USD at 22:25 GMT... It means almost another 2 % recovered...
      Last edited by ocelotl; October 13, 2008, 05:31 PM.
      sigpic
      Attention: Electronics Engineer Learning Economics.

Comment

was down a bit over 20%, now back up a bit after buying near the bottom and selling a lot today. Never been TOO concerned as most of what i have is dividend paying energy related stox like TOT etc. So down or not
        I get paid to wait it out.

Comment

With realized positions, I'm up 14.3%.

Unrealized is down 3.7% . . . and that's all paper gold -- CEF, GTU, GLD.

I made most of my income from jumping in and out of paper gold (Since it was held less than a year, I'm hoping I can claim at the normal tax rate, although I realize some believe it will be taxed as a "collectible.)

I know EJ recommends holding, but I haven't calculated whether I would have been better off doing that, or not. metalman, what % has your gold gone up or down so far this year?

I also dabbled in Jack Crooks options program. I made some money there, but bailed out when he made 11 bad (or what looked like would turn bad) calls in a row IIRC. This is not a criticism of him, since what counts is the ultimate ratio of winners to losers, and for all I know his subscribers are making tons of money now.

I stuck my toe in the commodity waters, and made a little profit. But I fortunately realized that demand destruction in the current recession/depression bode ill for commodities . . . and I was also fearing a market crash . . . so I bailed out before things went down.

Also made a bit of money following EJs "Short the Market" tips.

One thing that's not included in the 14.3% profit for this year are my TIPS. About 45% of my portfolio is in TIPS, and they are bringing in over 7% now (so after tax, I'm probably just keeping up with CPI inflation). In the past, I got some criticism of my TIPS holdings on this site, but if EJ's inflation call is correct, they are going to be a desirable investment in a world where just preserving what one already has is a laudable achievement. (I'm hoping profits in gold will compensate for the TIPS shortcomings.)

About 95% of my self-education in economics has come through iTulip. By listening to EJ and the wise folks here at iTulip, I have learned a lot. But I also profited from following my own judgment . . . with the TIPS and going in and out of gold. I imagine there are people here who made a lot more . . . but as a total novice as of two years ago, I'm happy with how things have turned out so far . . . .
          raja
          Boycott Big Banks • Vote Out Incumbents

Comment

Working...
          X