Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Real Great Depression (1873-1896)

The Real Great Depression

The depression of 1929 is the wrong model for the current economic crisis.

By SCOTT REYNOLDS NELSON

As a historian who works on the 19th century, I have been reading my newspaper with a considerable sense of dread. While many commentators on the recent mortgage and banking crisis have drawn parallels to the Great Depression of 1929, that comparison is not particularly apt. Two years ago, I began research on the Panic of 1873, an event of some interest to my colleagues in American business and labor history but probably unknown to everyone else. But as I turn the crank on the microfilm reader, I have been hearing weird echoes of recent events.

When commentators invoke 1929, I am dubious. According to most historians and economists, that depression had more to do with overlarge factory inventories, a stock-market crash, and Germany's inability to pay back war debts, which then led to continuing strain on British gold reserves. None of those factors is really an issue now. Contemporary industries have very sensitive controls for trimming production as consumption declines; our current stock-market dip followed bank problems that emerged more than a year ago; and there are no serious international problems with gold reserves, simply because banks no longer peg their lending to them.

In fact, the current economic woes look a lot like what my 96-year-old grandmother still calls "the real Great Depression." She pinched pennies in the 1930s, but she says that times were not nearly so bad as the depression her grandparents went through. That crash came in 1873 and lasted more than four years. It looks much more like our current crisis.

http://chronicle.com/temp/reprint.ph...h07p4hy9z83x18
    Last edited by FRED; October 05, 2008, 09:59 PM. Reason: Edited to comply with fair use policy
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho

Re: The Real Great Depression (1873-1896)

Great find, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Master Shake View Post
      The Real Great Depression

The depression of 1929 is the wrong model for the current economic crisis.

By SCOTT REYNOLDS NELSON

As a historian who works on the 19th century, I have been reading my newspaper with a considerable sense of dread. While many commentators on the recent mortgage and banking crisis have drawn parallels to the Great Depression of 1929, that comparison is not particularly apt. Two years ago, I began research on the Panic of 1873, an event of some interest to my colleagues in American business and labor history but probably unknown to everyone else. But as I turn the crank on the microfilm reader, I have been hearing weird echoes of recent events.

When commentators invoke 1929, I am dubious. According to most historians and economists, that depression had more to do with overlarge factory inventories, a stock-market crash, and Germany's inability to pay back war debts, which then led to continuing strain on British gold reserves. None of those factors is really an issue now. Contemporary industries have very sensitive controls for trimming production as consumption declines; our current stock-market dip followed bank problems that emerged more than a year ago; and there are no serious international problems with gold reserves, simply because banks no longer peg their lending to them.

In fact, the current economic woes look a lot like what my 96-year-old grandmother still calls "the real Great Depression." She pinched pennies in the 1930s, but she says that times were not nearly so bad as the depression her grandparents went through. That crash came in 1873 and lasted more than four years. It looks much more like our current crisis.

http://chronicle.com/temp/reprint.ph...h07p4hy9z83x18
      This piece was referenced in EJ's article on Friday. It's copyrighted material so I've cut it back to a reference in line with our fair use policy. We have permission from the author and publisher to publish it in its totality tomorrow.
      Ed.

Comment

Great link. I'm not sure what to make from this. Sounds awfully deflationary to me. If this is to happen now (well it's happening already) is this the Ka episode EJ refers to?
        Or is the Ka-Poom theory kaput?

Comment

Originally posted by friendly_jacek View Post
          Great link. I'm not sure what to make from this. Sounds awfully deflationary to me. If this is to happen now (well it's happening already) is this the Ka episode EJ refers to?
          Or is the Ka-Poom theory kaput?
          A rush to liquidity and spike in the dollar is Ka-Poom Theory.
          Ed.

Comment

Carry trade is unwinding: look at the Yen: it's also ripping hard.

When that unwinds, then global easing, then poom.

Comment

Originally posted by phirang View Post
              Carry trade is unwinding: look at the Yen: it's also ripping hard.

When that unwinds, then global easing, then poom.

Purchasing yen before the unwind, my strategy. Leveraged commodity investors will have to liquidate.
              http://www.itulip.com/forums/showthr...14285#poststop

Comment

Working...
              X