Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BoA to close credit cards for approximately 60% of customers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BoA to close credit cards for approximately 60% of customers?

Is the number of views for this thread for real?

33,777 views?

Comment

Comes from moving a post started in the "rumors" section to the "iTulip News with AntiSpin" section -- add to it the magic mix of bailout failure, and google -- and your readership suddenly jumps!

Comment

I had a 20K line of revolving credit with Citibank, obtained a couple of years ago and never used. I would take out $1000 now and then and then put it back in, just to keep the account ticking over.

I got a two line letter a couple of weeks ago summarily advising me it had been closed, citing some obscure opt out clause on Citi's behalf in the original contract. They just shut it down because they are pulling in their horns. Did not have anything to do with me.

I also subscribe to a service that monitors my credit rating. Today two weeks after Citi's credit line cancellation, I see that my credit rating has taken a "ding" of 13 points, purely because of the "retracted" line of credit. I have always loathed Citibank. Today? I'm seeing red. :mad:

Comment

Originally posted by Lukester View Post
          I had a 20K line of revolving credit with Citibank, obtained a couple of years ago and never used. I would take out $1000 now and then and then put it back in, just to keep the account ticking over.

I got a two line letter a couple of weeks ago summarily advising me it had been closed, citing some obscure opt out clause on Citi's behalf in the original contract. They just shut it down because they are pulling in their horns. Did not have anything to do with me.

I also subscribe to a service that monitors my credit rating. Today two weeks after Citi's credit line cancellation, I see that my credit rating has taken a "ding" of 13 points, purely because of the "retracted" line of credit. I have always loathed Citibank. Today? I'm seeing red. :mad:
          Gah The whole credit scoring mechanism is a black box of smoke and mirrors anyway, and then they pull stunts like that.

Of course, we've discussed on iTulip before that as more and more people with "good" FICO scores default on their mortgages, credit cards, etc., the reliability of those scores will come into question. So give it some time, and maybe you won't care what they say your score is.

Comment

Originally posted by zoog View Post
            Gah The whole credit scoring mechanism is a black box of smoke and mirrors anyway, and then they pull stunts like that.

Of course, we've discussed on iTulip before that as more and more people with "good" FICO scores default on their mortgages, credit cards, etc., the reliability of those scores will come into question. So give it some time, and maybe you won't care what they say your score is.
            FICO is a separate organization from the bank. Their algorithm is secret in specifics but is known in general. Part of a FICO score is determined by the ratio of credit used to credit available, and changes there whether plus or minus.

That's why it isn't a good idea to close an account in some cases.

BTW, they will be granting much less credit in the future, except to people who have a verified source of stable income. That's how it used to be. Perhaps nobody remembers but when you wanted a credit card until the late 1980s or early 1990s, you needed to furnish an employment reference and they would actually check!

Wow, what an idea!

Comment

Hey guys...awesome site.... first post.

I used to work for one of the biggest CC companies. I always felt like they shouldn't have given CC to 60% of the cardholders in most of their portfolios. I once told some higher ups we should not give CC to applicants until they take some sort of CC or financial education class or test. I felt that the company needed to educate people so they later understood why we came calling to collect with a vig the mafia would be proud of. Of course I was laughed at for being young and dumb. I am still young, but not dumb enough to stick with those loan sharks.

Comment

Originally posted by Guinnesstime View Post
                Hey guys...awesome site.... first post.

I used to work for one of the biggest CC companies. I always felt like they shouldn't have given CC to 60% of the cardholders in most of their portfolios. I once told some higher ups we should not give CC to applicants until they take some sort of CC or financial education class or test. I felt that the company needed to educate people so they later understood why we came calling to collect with a vig the mafia would be proud of. Of course I was laughed at for being young and dumb. I am still young, but not dumb enough to stick with those loan sharks.
                i bet there's an insider who will some day spill the beans... show the instructions to NOT train customers and use profiles that say hispanics are statistically unwise on credit but will kill themselves trying to pay off whatever you load then down with a stupid high rates.

got such a smoking gun doc? send it over!

Comment

Originally posted by metalman View Post
                  i bet there's an insider who will some day spill the beans... show the instructions to NOT train customers and use profiles that say hispanics are statistically unwise on credit but will kill themselves trying to pay off whatever you load then down with a stupid high rates.

got such a smoking gun doc? send it over!
                  They had portfolios that focused on certain "markets" i.e. hispanics. If there was a smoking gun a peon like me wasnt privy to it.

You have to be a fool to let someone own you with debt, but many CC companies have such "slaves".

Comment

Originally posted by grapejelly View Post
                    FICO is a separate organization from the bank. Their algorithm is secret in specifics but is known in general. Part of a FICO score is determined by the ratio of credit used to credit available, and changes there whether plus or minus.

That's why it isn't a good idea to close an account in some cases.

BTW, they will be granting much less credit in the future, except to people who have a verified source of stable income. That's how it used to be. Perhaps nobody remembers but when you wanted a credit card until the late 1980s or early 1990s, you needed to furnish an employment reference and they would actually check!

Wow, what an idea!
                    I just bought a tube pre-amp from amazon and got 30 bucks for opening a visa account with them. I threw a bunch of numbers on an online form and "poof" I had a new credit card. The last bastion still stands. :rolleyes:

Comment

Working...
                    X