X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Economist Magazine Says Buy Vancouver

When your ranked Number one that means BUY BUY BUY

Vancouver No. 1, Toronto No. 5 on most livable cities list

B.C. city takes top ranking for fifth year in a row in Economist magazine survey

Last Updated: Thursday, August 23, 2007 | 3:35 PM ET

CBC News

Vancouver has been ranked the best place to live in the world for the fifth year in a row in a survey by the Economist magazine, while Toronto took fifth place out of 132 cities.

Top 10 citiesLivability index (%)*
    1. Vancouver
    2. Melbourne1.8
    3. Vienna2.3
    4. Perth2.5
    5. Toronto3.0
    6. Adelaide3.0
    7. Sydney3.2
    8. Copenhagen3.7
    9. Geneva3.9
    10. Zurich3.9
    (*0% indicates exceptional quality of living and 100% indicates an intolerable one)
    The two Canadian cities rank among the top five because they have low crime rates, little threat from instability or terrorism, and a highly developed transport and communications infrastructure, says the survey by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU).
    Vancouver scored a livability index of 1.3 per cent, with zero indicating exceptional quality of living and 100 indicating life there is intolerable or severely restricted.
    A good transportation system helped Vancouver top the Economist's list of the world's most livable cities, again.
    (Charlie Cho/CBC)
    Toronto's livability index was 3.0.
    Australia also fared well in the survey, securing four spots among the top 10 cities.
    Algiers came in at the bottom of the ranking. Nine cities, including Algiers, present the worst-case scenario in which most aspects of living quality are severely restricted, according to the survey.
    The EIU's livability ranking is part of the magazine's Worldwide Cost of Living Survey.
    The survey considered 40 individual factors in categories such as stability, health care, culture, environment, education and infrastructure.

Re: Economist Magazine Says Buy Vancouver

Originally posted by VancouverGoinUp View Post

We'll wait to a more recent update, thanks...
    sigpic
    Attention: Electronics Engineer Learning Economics.

Comment

this was the same rag that wrote petroleum would never rise very much in price in what was it, 1999 - right at the bottom, from which crude has risen almost monononically.

Originally posted by VancouverGoinUp View Post
      When your ranked Number one that means BUY BUY BUY

Vancouver No. 1, Toronto No. 5 on most livable cities list

B.C. city takes top ranking for fifth year in a row in Economist magazine survey

CBC News

Vancouver has been ranked the best place to live in the world for the fifth year in a row in a survey by the Economist magazine, while Toronto took fifth place out of 132 cities.

Top 10 citiesLivability index (%)*
      1. Vancouver
      2. Melbourne1.8
      3. Vienna2.3
      4. Perth2.5
      5. Toronto3.0
      6. Adelaide3.0
      7. Sydney3.2
      8. Copenhagen3.7
      9. Geneva3.9
      10. Zurich3.9
      (*0% indicates exceptional quality of living and 100% indicates an intolerable one)
      The two Canadian cities rank among the top five because they have low crime rates, little threat from instability or terrorism, and a highly developed transport and communications infrastructure, says the survey by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU).
      Vancouver scored a livability index of 1.3 per cent, with zero indicating exceptional quality of living and 100 indicating life there is intolerable or severely restricted.
      A good transportation system helped Vancouver top the Economist's list of the world's most livable cities, again.
      (Charlie Cho/CBC)
      Toronto's livability index was 3.0.
      Australia also fared well in the survey, securing four spots among the top 10 cities.
      Algiers came in at the bottom of the ranking. Nine cities, including Algiers, present the worst-case scenario in which most aspects of living quality are severely restricted, according to the survey.
      The EIU's livability ranking is part of the magazine's Worldwide Cost of Living Survey.
      The survey considered 40 individual factors in categories such as stability, health care, culture, environment, education and infrastructure.

Comment

Hey, this could be a good test of 'Economist' as contrarian indicator.

Between oil, Russia, and any number of other economic predictions the Economist has hosed over the years...

Comment

I stumbled upon this last night:

http://www.newgeography.com/content/...e-cities-world

Basically disproving the livability survey as cities "livable" by the executive class that can easily afford them. I would make vancouversgoingup my realtor if he can get me the high six figure job I need to survive there :P

Comment

Originally posted by plinko View Post
            I stumbled upon this last night:

http://www.newgeography.com/content/...e-cities-world

Basically disproving the livability survey as cities "livable" by the executive class that can easily afford them. I would make vancouversgoingup my realtor if he can get me the high six figure job I need to survive there :P
            That article is great, and points out the absurdity of the Economist rankings. In the paper's defence (to use the British spelling), their readers are probably heavily skewed toward the wealthy urban elite, and this list, which omits the small matter of affordability, may be useful to them.

The 2010 EIU survey includes Calgary and Helsinki in the top 10. I would like to point out to the judges that those places are F%CKING FREEZING. It doesn't get above 0 Celsius in Helsinki for half the year, and that's "livable"? The sun sets before 4:30 for 3 months.

OK, so I'm a pissed-off southerner...

-Jimmy

Comment

Working...
            X