Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Precious Metal and Moving

Hello,
    I would like your advice on handling precious metal during a move/relocation. Do you mail it to yourself insured and hope for the best, or is there some better way?

Also, if the move is across country borders, is there a legal way to bring it with you, or must it be liquidated prior? I guess I could continue to keep it in the local bank and make sure I keep up with the box rental payments.

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Physical Precious Metal and Moving

Originally posted by Tocqueville View Post
    Hello,
    I would like your advice on handling precious metal during a move/relocation. Do you mail it to yourself insured and hope for the best, or is there some better way?

Also, if the move is across country borders, is there a legal way to bring it with you, or must it be liquidated prior? I guess I could continue to keep it in the local bank and make sure I keep up with the box rental payments.

Thanks for any advice.
    thanks for posting this one... been having the same thoughts. here are a couple of ideas. since you keep it in a safe box in any case, i'd probably leave it there. but safe boxes are not safe...

http://cubist.cs.washington.edu/Secu...curity-review/

http://www.bankersonline.com/article...v14n07a10.html

...and safe boxes far from home that you don't visit often are less safe.

depending on where you go, it's fine to bring your PMs with you if you're driving. no gold sniffing dogs. i'm not sure about what you need to declare, tho. assume that depends on which country you're going to/from.

Comment

USPS registered mail is a very secure method of shipping valuables via a major carrier. This mail is kept under lock and key from origin to destination.

Within the US, you can insure the contents up to $25K. However, international shipments are limited to whatever the indemnity limits are for the country of destination. It still is kept secured, but the level of security would, I suppose, be inversely proportional to the "corruption index" of the transited and destination countries.

No doubt there are other specialty shipping or courier services - it all depends on your level of paranoia and how much you are willing to spend for the service.

Comment

Originally posted by Tocqueville View Post
        Hello,

Thanks for any advice.
        If it's just a few coins carry them in your pocket. If it's just a few bars put them in your luggage. If it's in the form of jewelry, put it on your wife. Anything else, suggest you call Brinks ;)

Virtually every country has a declaration requirement for incoming valuables. Idaho may be an exception...

Seriously, the gold component of your PM's should be something you can keep within your own sight and not have to hand off to others for transport (unlike perhaps your silver, platinum, etc). Isn't that one reason one holds gold...lots of value in a small package?

Comment

Working...
        X