X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book publishers are bullish on the economy -- as a subject, that is

Book publishers are bullish on the economy -- as a subject, that is
    March 26, 2008 (LA Times)

As the stock market gyrates, authors' proposals flourish. But will their financial advice be relevant by the time a book's in print?

NEW YORK -- About a year ago, one of America's bestselling business books was Michael Corbett's "Find It, Fix It, Flip It!: Make Millions in Real Estate -- One House at a Time." Today, one of the hot finance titles picked up for publication is Stephen Leeb's "Game Over: How the Collapsing Economy Will Shrink Your Wealth by 50% Unless You Know What to Do."

As the U.S. economy deteriorates and millions wrestle with questions about their faltering 401(k)s and when -- or if -- to cash out long-term stock investments, major publishers are scrambling to cash in.

They're working feverishly to find the next "big book" that reflects a more sobering view of the economy and offers solutions to help Americans survive the current fiscal woes.

In a 48-hour period last week, Penguin Portfolio outhustled rival publishers to make a preemptive buy of "The New New Deal" by financial guru Eric Janszen; Doubleday and HarperCollins beat the drums about their forthcoming books on the Bear Stearns Cos. collapse; and Business Plus, an imprint of Grand Central, jumped at the chance to acquire Leeb's title, which makes no bones about the health of the nation's economy.

"There's a growing appetite for information out there, because people want to know what they should do," said Adrian Zackheim, head of Penguin Portfolio.

Others believe the key to publishing a successful business book in tough times is to avoid relentless pessimism -- and to realize that readers tire of hearing bad news. During the Great Depression, Janszen said, "we reached a moment when people stopped reading about soup lines. They wanted to know how things would finally be fixed."

This was the inspiration for "The New New Deal," said the author, a former chief executive who also founded the financial website Itulip.com. After he wrote a February cover story for Harper's magazine about the economic slowdown, publishers expressed interest in a book-length treatment; Janszen quickly polished a proposal and won a six-figure advance from Penguin.

Much of the book will focus on the cyclical nature of economic bubbles, and why the nation's current fiscal climate poses daunting challenges. As Janszen argued in his Harper's piece, the mammoth task of finding new sources of energy and converting to a "green" economy could be one way to spur long-term improvements in the U.S. economy.

Even though the book won't appear until next year, the author assured his editors that the current economic turmoil is likely to continue well past the presidential election.

"I made a joke and borrowed what Churchill said about U.S. foreign policy to predict how our leaders will respond," he said. "We always do the right thing, but only after exhausting all other options." more...

AntiSpin: None needed in this case. Good news is that publishers are about to stop publishing get rich quick books and start publishing books that offer constructive solutions to problems created by government and the speculative finance that funds it – or should we say, used to fund it.
    Ed.

Re: Book publishers are bullish on the economy -- as a subject, that is

congratulations EJ

Comment

Looking forward to the book!

3 years ago when I started thinking the dollar was screwed, I went to a bookstore to find some contrarian books. They represented maybe 1% of the books in the financial section. I took that as a sign that I was on the right track.

Comment

EJ,

Look at my thread for one possible way the green Machine may be funded -- even as debt deflates

Another Way Around the Credit Crisis

Comment

Looking forward to reading both Janszen's and Stephen Leeb's books. I wonder if they will be reading each other's too, as I am a fan of both and actually feel Janszen's work could considerably inform and complement Mr. Leeb.

StephenLeeb's books have been deceptively simple in theme and exposition, but he has a very firm grip on all the largest themes that will govern the next decade or two, and applies an extremely sharp intelligence to unerringly extract the principal conclusions. His exposition is a little more "popularised" than Janszen's but he does not ever lose track of the largest trends the average reader wants to thoroughly grasp to defend themselves.

Having said that I would conclude that Janszen could "show him the neighborhood" with a depth of detail and analysis that could greatly enrich Mr. Leeb's own conclusions. Leeb elaborated his ideas early, really at the same time as Janszen. But Janszen has elaborated the entire panorama of economic and financial dysfunction, and parsed the implications a good deal more in depth than Leeb. To be fair to Leeb's own capacities - his primary task all along has been to create stock portfolios to directly complement the main actionable points of his analysis. Janszen seems to me more the true theoretical analyst of the two.

My sense is that if Leeb ever applied his considerable intelligence to the same issues he could get "up to speed" on Janszen's ideas quickly, and would be predisposed to do so. So to my view they are an interesting pair in terms of what reciprocal ground they've covered in the past decade.

As far as stock portfolios and analysis, frankly I don't think elaborating, let alone directly researching such detailed and balanced portfolios is more than a cursory afterthought of iTulip or it's community. My (frank) opinion is these are not produced or researched here even half as professionally as they are by the Leeb team, for whom that is job # 1. But anyone dismayed by what they may percieve to be faint praise of iTulip in that comparison is missing the larger point.

These two authors actually complement each other wonderfully. iTulip I think provides a deeper theoretical overview. It complements Mr. Leeb's expressly designed portfolios for this environment, by providing the macro-analysis that makes complete theoretical sense of the very same defensive positions which Leeb elaborates.

I mention Leeb only because he's apparently working on a new book as well as Janszen now. All together, I think anyone who systematically includes the writing of both Eric Janszen and Stephen Leeb in their "must do" reading, will incorporate some of the top quality intelligence available on the "take it to the bank" actionable trends of the next ten years. Leeb will appear to be the much simpler read, but I would suggest readers not be deceived! These two authors both score very high in actionable (critical to survival!) intelligence today, and collectively, they score exceptionally high for the present times.

I'll be an early buyer of both upcoming books.

Comment

Working...
          X