Bad News For Equity Bulls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad News For Equity Bulls

Below is my first contribution to iTulip - it's nothing particularly brilliant, but I wanted to point out how three different analyses were pointing to the same conclusion. Below has been cross-posted at my blog, autodogmatic.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All intelligent investors take note: we are currently in the midst of a long-term secular bear market in equities that will most likely last until sometime between 2010 and 2020. How do I know this for a fact? I don't. However, in the past few weeks, I've come across three separate analyses that would lead one to this conclusion. They are as follows:

The Bannister Study

The first source was found via Jim Rogers Hot Commodities. In Rogers' book, he cites a study completed by Barry Bannister, an analyst for Legg Mason Wood Walker, Inc., that showed a negative correlation between equities and commodities. Secular equity bull markets were found to be followed by secular equity bear markets and commodity bull markets. Bannister's findings can be most readily understood by examining the graph below from Rogers' book (Click the image to enlarge):

Click to enlarge - a new window will open

Bannister's study showed that these alternating bull/bear cycles lasted 17 to 18 years. Note that the equity bull market peaked around 2000, which means that we are in a long-term equity bear market (And a long-term commodity bull market).

The Real Dow

The second confirmatory source was found over on iTulip.com. It's a graph of the DJIA divided by the CPI-U, which is the broadest measure of consumer prices that the government provides. Again, a picture is worth a thousand words:

Click to enlarge - a new window will open

Looking at the Real Dow graph, take note that there are only two ways for the DJIA to revert to the mean: either decrease the numerator via deflation of the DJIA or increase the denominator via inflation of the CPI-U. Either way, if history is any guide, we're in for a hell of a ride because one of the two alternatives must occur.

The Siegel Study

Found via an article titled, No room to zoom? Commentary: Stocks may face a dreary decade ahead, on MarketWatch (Hat tip to Aaron Krowne's FURL), Jeremy Siegel of the Wharton School found that the real rate of return on the stock market for the past 200 years was a mere 7%. Once again, here is a graph from the article (No need to enlarge):

Note that this is on a log scale

In the MarketWatch article, Peter Brimelow and Edwin S. Rubenstein note the following (emphasis mine):

When we first looked at Siegel's numbers in the late 1990s, stocks were over 80% above the long-run total return trendline, about as high as they ever get. Stocks reached similar levels in 1928 and 1968 -- both years when the stock market was notoriously topping out.

Stocks did fall after 2000 (remember?) But they never got lower than a few points below trend. Then the post-election Bush bounce in 2004-2005 took stocks to some 7% above trend. After that, stocks stalled. That means that this time last year, because of that relentlessly cumulating trendline, stocks were down to less than 1% above it. See Aug. 26, 2005 column.

Now it's even tighter: Stocks are just 0.1% below trend, to be exact. And even that's still well above the levels usually seen at major bear market lows. In both 1931 and 1973, stocks got some 40% below trend. In other words, an epochal but not unprecedented bull market high has not yet, unlike in every other case on record, been succeeded by a corresponding bear market low.

This may sound worrying. But of course the major market indexes we're used to watching don't literally have to fall 40%. Because the underlying total return trend rises at some 7% a year, the indexes can just move sideways. How long? Well, adjusting just for dividends, if the Dow Jones Industrial Average moved sideways until 2019, that would be the equivalent of Siegel's broad, total-return measure of stocks getting 40% below trend.

That's a 19-year stagnation in total, quite comparable to the Dow 16-year stagnation after 1966.

I don't think any further comments on this article are necessary as by now, I'm pretty sure you're seeing the big picture.

Conclusion?

What does all of this mean? Well, it could mean nothing. Simply because three different analyses happen to arrive at the same conclusion could merely be coincidence. It's also possible that the analyses are simply incorrect. That said, for my purposes, it's enough to make me think thrice before pumping my savings into equities.

Beware! The bear is at large.

If you liked this, Digg it!
    Last edited by aD Neal; August 17, 2006, 03:51 PM.
    Neal @ autoDogmatic

Re: Bad News For Equity Bulls

Very nice work. It's always more compelling when you can approach a question from multiple perspectives and get similar answers.

FWIW, the Bannister view appears most compelling. I posted a chart just a few days ago (using gold rather than broader commodity prices) suggesting a similar conclusion. Interesting how the amplitude of the long-cycle swings enlarged after the creation of the Fed.

http://www.itulip.com/forums/showpos...0&postcount=25
    Finster

Comment

Thanks Finnster for the compliment.

I like your graph. Have you tried to do a trend line for it?
      Neal @ autoDogmatic

Comment

Originally posted by aD Neal
        Thanks Finnster for the compliment.

I like your graph. Have you tried to do a trend line for it?
        As it turns out, yes. Maybe a little unconventional trend line, but a channel of the standard error of the data defining the trend.

Finster

Comment

Originally posted by Finster
          Very nice work. It's always more compelling when you can approach a question from multiple perspectives and get similar answers.

FWIW, the Bannister view appears most compelling. I posted a chart just a few days ago (using gold rather than broader commodity prices) suggesting a similar conclusion. Interesting how the amplitude of the long-cycle swings enlarged after the creation of the Fed.

http://www.itulip.com/forums/showpos...0&postcount=25

Oh yeah?!?!... splutter, splutter... ;)

My chart has more stuff on it:

http://www.NowAndTheFuture.com

Comment

great chart, bart. you guys are great. a few days ago i sent off an email copy of one of finster's charts to some folks i correspond with. now yours gets the same treatment. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jk
              great chart, bart. you guys are great. a few days ago i sent off an email copy of one of finster's charts to some folks i correspond with. now yours gets the same treatment. thanks
              My pleasure jk.

That chart came from my key stats page, for what its worth.

I'm big on charts - they've really helped me to better understand what's going on - there are over 800 of them on my site now, and about 300 of them are mine.

Comment

Originally posted by bart
                Oh yeah?!?!... splutter, splutter... ;)

My chart has more stuff on it:

:eek: :mad: :eek:

... and darn you, you even charted it log so I can't even get on your case for that ...
                Finster

Comment

:eek: :mad: :eek:

... and darn you, you even charted it log so I can't even get on your case for that ...

You should be honored... I've learned what little I know about 'finning' from the master... :eek: :cool: :rolleyes:

Comment

I came to the same conclussion by reading, "Unexpected Returns, Understanding Secular Stock Market Cycles" by Ed Easterling. The author describes the current market as a secular bear market essentially going sideways as did the 1966 to 1982 market.

His book does not have Bart's 800 graphs, but it has many interesting ones.

Bart is still King of Graphs.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffolie
                      Bart is still King of Graphs.
                      And there is little danger of that changing anytime soon ...
                      Finster

Comment

And there is little danger of that changing anytime soon ...

Thank goodness there's not an AA for chart compulsions? ;)

Comment

Working...
                        X