Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clinton's "infrastructure" and "green energy plan" (not to be outdone)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clinton's "infrastructure" and "green energy plan" (not to be outdone)

Clinton responded to Obama's New, New Deal speech today:
    Fox News

Sen Clinton took her economic message to the perennially downtrodden Youngstown, OH area — touring a GM assembly plant

[..]

"I was, however, glad to see that yesterday, my opponent adopted the goal of five million green collar jobs – months after I announced I would create five million green collar jobs. I was also glad to see that he modeled his $60 billion infrastructure bank on a bill I co-sponsored last summer to create a $60 billion infrastructure bank. Now, if only he would just copy my health care plan and provide coverage for every single American!"
    The bill that Clinton is referring to: S. 1926. Sponsored by Dodd (D-CT) and co-sponsored by Clinton (D-NY), Obama, haha, (D-IL), Mikulski (D-MD), Dorgan (D-ND), Brown (D-OH) and Hagel (R-NE). It has languished in committee.

The House version: H.R. 3401 Sponsored by Keith Ellison (R-MN), Neil Abercrombie (D-HI) and Barney Frank (D-MA).

And this is on the Clinton campaign website:
    Hillary's plan to promote energy independence, address global warming, and transform our economy includes:
    • A new cap-and-trade program that auctions 100 percent of permits alongside investments to move us on the path towards energy independence;
    • An aggressive comprehensive energy efficiency agenda to reduce electricity consumption 20 percent from projected levels by 2020 by changing the way utilities do business, catalyzing a green building industry, enacting strict appliance efficiency standards, and phasing out incandescent light bulbs;
    • A $50 billion Strategic Energy Fund, paid for in part by oil companies, to fund investments in alternative energy. The SEF will finance one-third of the $150 billon ten-year investment in a new energy future contained in this plan;
    • Doubling of federal investment in basic energy research, including funding for an ARPA-E, a new research agency modeled on the successful Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency
    • Aggressive action to transition our economy toward renewable energy sources, with renewables generating 25 percent of electricity by 2025 and with 60 billion gallons of home-grown biofuels available for cars and trucks by 2030;
    • 10 "Smart Grid City" partnerships to prove the advanced capabilities of smart grid and other advanced demand-reduction technologies, as well as new investment in plug-in hybrid vehicle technologies;
    • An increase in fuel efficiency standards to 55 miles per gallon by 2030, and $20 billion of "Green Vehicle Bonds" to help U.S. automakers retool their plants to meet the standards;
    • A plan to catalyze a thriving green building industry by investing in green collar jobs and helping to modernize and retrofit 20 million low-income homes to make them more energy efficient;
    • A new "Connie Mae" program to make it easier for low and middle-income Americans to buy green homes and invest in green home improvements;
    • A requirement that all publicly traded companies report financial risks due to climate change in annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission; and
    • Creation of a "National Energy Council" within the White House to ensure implementation of the plan across the Executive Branch.
    • A requirement that all federal buildings designed after January 20, 2009 will be zero emissions buildings.

Re: Clinton's "infrastructure" and "green energy plan" (not to be outdone)

I like the old wench less and less every single day. Waaaaaaaaaa he stole my idea waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... meanwhile he's on that bill with her, and when he announced it it wasn't like he was saying "She's a good for nothing two timer!" he was just saying what his plan and position are. Can't blame him, the biggest criticism hillary and others have lobbed against him is that he's strong on rhetoric and light on policy.

Hillary needs to be flushed down the toilet of history and washed away in a sanitation plant. Her act is tired and busted.

Comment

Originally posted by DemonD View Post
      I like the old wench less and less every single day. Waaaaaaaaaa he stole my idea waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... meanwhile he's on that bill with her, and when he announced it it wasn't like he was saying "She's a good for nothing two timer!" he was just saying what his plan and position are. Can't blame him, the biggest criticism hillary and others have lobbed against him is that he's strong on rhetoric and light on policy.

Hillary needs to be flushed down the toilet of history and washed away in a sanitation plant. Her act is tired and busted.
      After hearing and reading about Clinton's remarks, I *almost* couldn't believe it when the bill listed Obama as a co-sponsor, but than again, we're talking about poltical theatre. How many reporters/editors/producers, never mind regular folks, are going to spend the five seconds of time to look that up?

Comment

A new "Connie Mae" program to make it easier for low and middle-income Americans to buy green homes and invest in green home improvements
        This is where I run screaming from the room.

Making green homes affordable? If this works out like the rest of the "*-Mae" government/quasi-government/I-don't-know-whether-I'm-coming-or-going programmes, it will completely destroy the market it is targeting before long.

Personally I endorse achieving all these goals by removing subsidies -- namely military spending, tax breaks for oil companies, much of our oil-targetted foreign aid, and federal highway money.

Comment

It's a moot point. Did you see the debate last night? In her closing remarks, Hillary practically conceded the race to Obama. She knows he is the better candidate; it's over and she was withdrawing gracefully. The day after the Texas primary, she will probably drop out.

Greg
          Greg

Comment

Originally posted by BiscayneSunrise View Post
            It's a moot point. Did you see the debate last night? In her closing remarks, Hillary practically conceded the race to Obama. She knows he is the better candidate; it's over and she was withdrawing gracefully. The day after the Texas primary, she will probably drop out.

Greg
            i don't think she was conceding. it was a manipulative replay of the teary moment in new hampshire. someone in her camp finally figured out that she has to act warm and human, as if she could connect with other people instead of "fighting" for this, that, or the other thing all the time.

Comment

Greg
              this?

And, you know, no matter what happens in this contest -- and I am honored, I am honored to be here with Barack Obama. I am absolutely honored.

(APPLAUSE)

CLINTON: Whatever happens, we're going to be fine. You know, we have strong support from our families and our friends. I just hope that we'll be able to say the same thing about the American people, and that's what this election should be about.
              I agree with Biscayne, this is Hilary attempting to appear human.

I did get the feeling throughout the debate that they're preparing for a run together, but still can't imagine Hilary as Obama's VP.

Comment

Originally posted by babbittd View Post
                I did get the feeling throughout the debate that they're preparing for a run together, but still can't imagine Hilary as Obama's VP.
                never happen imo. too many firsts, not to mention having to deal with bill. i think edwards would work well, however.

Comment

Yes, that was the quote. Some of it may have been orchestrated but I do think she was conceding. Maybe not knowingly but subconsciously. It was in both of their body language, too. He is going to win and he knew it. She did too.

Sorry for that pop psychology but here is my next guess. Perfect running mate for Obama? Al Gore. Senior statesman, mellow public perception, well known world wide but won't overshadow Barrack, probably generate some sympathy vote for his failed 2000 bid, too.
                  Greg

Comment

Yes, that was the quote. Some of it may have been orchestrated but I do think she was conceding. Maybe not knowingly but subconsciously. It was in both of their body language, too. He is going to win and he knew it. She did too.

Sorry for that pop psychology but here is my next guess. Perfect running mate for Obama? Al Gore. Senior statesman, mellow public perception, well known world wide but won't overshadow Barrack, probably generate some sympathy vote for his failed 2000 bid, too.
                    Yeah, Al Gore would make a great VP. Sadly, I think he's wised up and realised that being a politician sucks compared to his currently cushy life..

Comment

Working...
                    X