X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mean time in Spain

Originally posted by Mega View Post
    Hmm. Interesting but, qui bono?

"The Elite?" Some illuminati crowd that's hanging out in an underground bunker in Jackson Hole? C'mon. Name the names.

Every time I read something on ZH I get sucked in to the conspiracy but I find something troubling in the analysis that leads me to the conclusion that the paranoid investment bankers writing this stuff should stick to investment banking.

This one had this:

As Prof Walter Ricciardi—scientific adviser to Italy’s minister of health—recently revealed, “The way in which we code deaths in our country is very generous in the sense that all the people who die in hospitals with the coronavirus are deemed to be dying of the coronavirus.”
    So how many of the people who are reported as “Covid-19 deaths” in Italy actually had coronavirus listed as their cause of death? Just 12 per cent. What’s more, according to the Italian government’s own report, half of those who died had three or more other diseases at the time of the death. Nearly 80 per cent had at least two other diseases that they were fighting when they died. Only 1.7 per cent of those who died had no other disease.
    It's exceedingly rare for a virus to be listed as a cause of death (maybe Marburg because it progresses so quickly that patients are already in multiple organ failure by the time they are diagnosed). I would argue that the 12 percent that are listed as Covid-19 deaths in Italy are incorrect, or were admitted to the hospital in such poor condition (multiple organ failure, immediately put on a ventilator) that an actual cause of death could not be determined.

The cause of death is never influenza. It is usually pneumonia as a consequence of influenza (I've also seen sepsis and CHF listed as a result of the flu). Often with a host of other significant conditions (60% of Americans have a chronic disease; 40% have two; another 10-20% have no insurance and a chunk of them likely have undiagnosed conditions because they can't afford to see a doctor regularly).

Likewise, for another virus, the cause of death was never HIV. In the early days it was bacterial pneumonia or the rare Kaposi's sarcoma. Eventually AIDS was determined as a cause of death, but even then it was typically a contributing factor to renal failure or pneumonia. Now with antiviral treatments it's usually a more typical cancer, renal, or cardiovascular disease with HIV as an "other significant condition." People with HIV are starting to die of the same "old age" things that most of us will.

Reporting deaths is not just a matter of linear statistics (what % died from X), but it's a matter of comorbidities: what conditions may lead to other conditions, and how conditions affect each other. It's probably the most fertile ground for research that's done by the least appreciated members of the medical community (forensic pathologists - you know the jokes: no one alive would go to them).

Covid-19 does not kill people, as evidenced by the >90% recovery rate and the apparently high number of folks who are asymptomatic carriers. So, it is not an accurate cause of death. It is, however, a significant contributing factor, which leads to and/or exacerbates other conditions (pneumonia seems typical) that lead to multiple organ failure and death.

Covid-19 appears to have serious comorbidity with cardiovascular disease, which is prevalent in a large chunk of the U.S. (I reckon a majority of the 60% of Americans with pre-existing conditions have CVD, hypertension, something chronic and heart-related). Pneumonia and COPD and any other pulmonary issues are also co-related. Autoimmune folks are also at high risk.

I don't know much about this virus and I'm no doctor, but I know that this investment banker's time is probably better spent looking at futures spreads. Or writing mysteries.

Oh... wait... he already does.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mega View Post
      Hmm. Interesting but, qui bono?

"The Elite?" Some illuminati crowd that's hanging out in an underground bunker in Jackson Hole? C'mon. Name the names.

Every time I read something on ZH I get sucked in to the conspiracy but I find something troubling in the analysis that leads me to the conclusion that the paranoid investment bankers writing this stuff should stick to investment banking.

This one had this:

As Prof Walter Ricciardi—scientific adviser to Italy’s minister of health—recently revealed, “The way in which we code deaths in our country is very generous in the sense that all the people who die in hospitals with the coronavirus are deemed to be dying of the coronavirus.”
      So how many of the people who are reported as “Covid-19 deaths” in Italy actually had coronavirus listed as their cause of death? Just 12 per cent. What’s more, according to the Italian government’s own report, half of those who died had three or more other diseases at the time of the death. Nearly 80 per cent had at least two other diseases that they were fighting when they died. Only 1.7 per cent of those who died had no other disease.
      It's exceedingly rare for a virus to be listed as a cause of death (maybe Marburg because it progresses so quickly that patients are already in multiple organ failure by the time they are diagnosed). I would argue that the 12 percent that are listed as Covid-19 deaths in Italy are incorrect, or were admitted to the hospital in such poor condition (multiple organ failure, immediately put on a ventilator) that an actual cause of death could not be determined.

The cause of death is never influenza. It is usually pneumonia as a consequence of influenza (I've also seen sepsis and CHF listed as a result of the flu). Often with a host of other significant conditions (60% of Americans have a chronic disease; 40% have two; another 10-20% have no insurance and a chunk of them likely have undiagnosed conditions because they can't afford to see a doctor regularly).

Likewise, for another virus, the cause of death was never HIV. In the early days it was bacterial pneumonia or the rare Kaposi's sarcoma. Eventually AIDS was determined as a cause of death, but even then it was typically a contributing factor to renal failure or pneumonia. Now with antiviral treatments it's usually a more typical cancer, renal, or cardiovascular disease with HIV as an "other significant condition." People with HIV are starting to die of the same "old age" things that most of us will.

Reporting deaths is not just a matter of linear statistics (what % died from X), but it's a matter of comorbidities: what conditions may lead to other conditions, and how conditions affect each other. It's probably the most fertile ground for research that's done by the least appreciated members of the medical community (forensic pathologists - you know the jokes: no one alive would go to them).

Covid-19 does not kill people, as evidenced by the >90% recovery rate and the apparently high number of folks who are asymptomatic carriers. So, it is not an accurate cause of death. It is, however, a significant contributing factor, which leads to and/or exacerbates other conditions (pneumonia seems typical) that lead to multiple organ failure and death.

Covid-19 appears to have serious comorbidity with cardiovascular disease, which is prevalent in a large chunk of the U.S. (I reckon a majority of the 60% of Americans with pre-existing conditions have CVD, hypertension, something chronic and heart-related). Pneumonia and COPD and any other pulmonary issues are also co-related. Autoimmune folks are also at high risk.

I don't know much about this virus and I'm no doctor, but I know that this investment banker's time is probably better spent looking at futures spreads. Or writing mysteries.

Oh... wait... he already does.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsman View Post
        I saw a newscast recently that used Ecuador to make a similar case. Benin and Ecuador. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison in terms of American medical capacity, expertise, ability to walk and chew gum simultaneously, and any other metric you can think of.

But other than that, yeah sure.
        Maybe you're not getting the point. The purpose of the ultra lock-down was ( originally back in Jan-Feb 2020) to eradicate the disease. The play book was borrowed from SARS. The SARS outbreak in November 2002 was halted in it's tracks by an aggressive campaign of quarantine. Anybody with the disease was forcibly detained and put into a positive pressure jail, complete with bars, guns and guards. The health officials are still hoping to accomplish something like that. This is quixotic. The disease is everywhere now. It will never be contained.

Comment

major regional hospital

3/27 8 patients on vents
          3/30 34 patients on vents
          4/2 46 patients on vents
          4/4 56 patients on vents

Comment

bend the curve and then what?

put out the fire vs slow burn
            lives vs livelihoods

https://wolfstreet.com/2020/04/04/th...rve-then-what/

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/o...-covid-19.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/opinion/sunday/covid-whats-next.html

Comment

As I understand the goal is not to stop the illness in its tracks. It is to "flatten the curve", that is, reduce de growth of infections so as not to collapse the health care systems and avoid too many people (including HC personel) dying. Hopefully in the meantime some useful treatment could appear. Moreover, in a longer future (1 year or more) a vaccine shall probably be found. A new scientific (preliminary) work found countries which vaccinated with BCG (bacyllus Calmette-Guerin) for tuberculosis show much less infection rate and mortality than others. Uruguay could be a show case. Vaccination began in 1925 and was thoroughly carried on, as well as masive reactions in search of inmunity and Rx for several decades. All oldies, as me, are vaccinated and hold inmunity to TB.

Originally posted by globaleconomicollaps View Post
              Maybe you're not getting the point. The purpose of the ultra lock-down was ( originally back in Jan-Feb 2020) to eradicate the disease. The play book was borrowed from SARS. The SARS outbreak in November 2002 was halted in it's tracks by an aggressive campaign of quarantine. Anybody with the disease was forcibly detained and put into a positive pressure jail, complete with bars, guns and guards. The health officials are still hoping to accomplish something like that. This is quixotic. The disease is everywhere now. It will never be contained.

Comment

Originally posted by Southernguy View Post
                As I understand the goal is not to stop the illness in its tracks. It is to "flatten the curve", that is, reduce de growth of infections so as not to collapse the health care systems and avoid too many people (including HC personel) dying. Hopefully in the meantime some useful treatment could appear. Moreover, in a longer future (1 year or more) a vaccine shall probably be found. A new scientific (preliminary) work found countries which vaccinated with BCG (bacyllus Calmette-Guerin) for tuberculosis show much less infection rate and mortality than others. Uruguay could be a show case. Vaccination began in 1925 and was thoroughly carried on, as well as massive reactions in search of immunity and Rx for several decades. All oldies, as me, are vaccinated and hold immunity to TB.

Listen carefully. You are being lied to.

The influential article "The Hammer and the Dance" has been making waves in Washington. The model that is currently being used by public health officials is this one:
                https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

This model assumes a more severe version of the same rigid social distancing laws currently in place in France and other European nations.
                https://covid19.govt.nz/assets/COVID...-levels_v2.pdf

The social distancing regulations will be enforced until August of 2020 at least.
                Note that the model assumes that 3% of the population will be infected and that there will NO (0) infected individuals after August. Do they intend to have a vaccine by August? You have to read between the lines but it is clear to me that the plan is to eradicate the disease by aggressive tracking of cases and imprisonment of infected victims.

I also want to point out that the BCG vaccine has been used in France but not in Italy. It looks to me like it is not having a significant effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Southernguy View Post
                  As I understand the goal is not to stop the illness in its tracks. It is to "flatten the curve", that is, reduce de growth of infections so as not to collapse the health care systems and avoid too many people (including HC personel) dying. Hopefully in the meantime some useful treatment could appear. Moreover, in a longer future (1 year or more) a vaccine shall probably be found. A new scientific (preliminary) work found countries which vaccinated with BCG (bacyllus Calmette-Guerin) for tuberculosis show much less infection rate and mortality than others. Uruguay could be a show case. Vaccination began in 1925 and was thoroughly carried on, as well as masive reactions in search of inmunity and Rx for several decades. All oldies, as me, are vaccinated and hold inmunity to TB.
                  if true, why are "oldies" dying at much higher rates when infected?

Comment

Originally posted by jk View Post

lives vs livelihoods

a friend with whom i shared those articles replied:

An article by Haque might be over catastrophic about the eventual outcome of our economy, but maybe not:
                    https://eand.co/america-is-committin...e-c7c1f7122169. I suggested earlier that the govt will need to print 20 trillion. Haque is suggesting similar – but perhaps even more - without putting a number on it. Perhaps the govt will need to print 100 trillion dollars here? Of course, it is all good, as per MMT.

to which i replied:

i think haque's article is a little off, a little too simplistic, although i agree with the essential message that our policies are inadequate for the enormity of the problem.

here are a few problems with the article:

1.it implies that if only we replace everyone's INCOME then we'd be ok. but no, replacing demand doesn't, in these circumstances, replace supply. he assumes a kind of inverse say's law, believing that giving people money will somehow conjure up things for them to buy. but if factories are shut down, supply chains are not functioning, people are afraid to go to work even if the workplace is open, then the economy is still not working. it's not enough to just give people money if you're not providing goods and services for them to buy.

2. even if goods and services were available, they wouldn't be bought in adequate volume. there was a little article in the ny times this morning about a woman who was the only passenger on a 174 seat airplane flying from reagan to new orleans. it mentioned how many fewer flights were still scheduled, but also how low the passenger load was on even those fewer flights. [there were 5 or 6 other flights that day with just a single passenger.]

after millions of people have lost jobs, they will not spend as freely when [if] they are finally employed again. they may stock extra toilet paper for quite a while, but buy fewer gadgets in order to build or rebuild savings against another rainy day. i read another newspaper article in which a guy expressed shame at having to go to food pantry to get free food for his family. when he gets work again, his spending habits will be different.

anybody reading this ready to book a cruise? even for next year? [i've never gone on a cruise and can't imagine i ever would, but apparently a great many people do not feel the way i do.] how about season tickets for some major league sports team? ready to go to a stadium with 50,000 strangers? movie theater? restaurant? so having the money to do these things doesn't mean anybody will.

so the hit is both to supply AND demand, not just demand. thus replacing incomes won't recreate our economy.

3. many businesses will close their doors and NEVER re-open, even after vaccines are widely available and the pandemic has passed. [any anti-vaxxers here? any bets on what percentage of anti-vaxxers will make an exception for a covid-19 vaccine? the only reason they feel comfortable rejecting e.g. polio vaccine, is that, because of the very vaccine they are refusing, they never had direct experience of children dying or being paralyzed by polio.] a restaurant, for example, that closes its doors, lays off its workers, vacates its premises, is not an easy thing to resurrect. especially when people are for some time wary of going to such an establishment, even after it becomes [supposedly] relatively safe. and that means fewer orders for cutlery, linen, dishwashing machines, ovens, ventilators, tile-work, plumbers, fewer jobs for waitstaff and bartenders and cooks. a small manufacturer who has not been operating because his product is "non-essential" may discover that half his customers are no longer, or not yet, operating and thus have to scale down any effort to re-establish his business. the airlines have already made clear that when traffic picks up they will be flying fewer airplanes on fewer routes on reduced schedules. so fewer airport workers, less jet fuel purchased, and so on.

an economy is a complex system, with myriad flows of goods, services, money and credit, weaving a pattern that resembles a living organism. disrupt it in a major way and it will not reconstitute the same system, and in fact will not quickly reconstitute a system of equal complexity. it will start "smaller" and simpler, and have to grow back to a similar size and complexity, likely taking years to do so.

in "godel, escher, bach" hofstadter imagines an ant colony, a complex system, in which each ant carries out its fairly mindless tasks, but in which the pattern as a whole can be viewed as a single creature which he dubs, iirc, "aunt hilary." [it's analogous to the neurons which constitute your brain.] one of his characters and aunt hilary have various dialogues, have a friendly relationship. a great storm comes along and disrupts all the patterns of the ant colony. afterwards the colony re-assembles itself, but it is no longer "aunt hilary." it has another personality altogether; it is a different creature.
                    Last edited by jk; April 05, 2020, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• Re: Mean time in Spain

if true, why are "oldies" dying at much higher rates when infected?

Newsflash: Because oldies are generally in poorer health.

And this is typical of all coronaviruses generally, and that includes the viruses behind the SARS and ongoing MERS outbreaks as well as other respiratory viruses such as the seasonal flu. During the original SARS outbreak, the lethality rate for the overall number of cases was 10 percent, but that lethality rate jumped to over 50 percent in people over the age of 50. There are two main reasons for older adults’ increased susceptibility to coronaviruses. The first is that they are more likely to suffer from underlying conditions that hinder the body's ability to cope with and recover from illness, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. The second has to do with how our immune response changes with age, the exact mechanisms of which researchers still are struggling to fully understand. It might have some relation to inflammation. Studies using older mice, for instance, show they experience more inflammation early on in the course of illness, perhaps “setting the table” for lung damage that can't later be overcome. Coronaviruses like SARS and MERS affect the part of the lungs where gas exchange (the delivery of oxygen to the bloodstream and the removal of carbon dioxide) takes place. As you get older, your lungs are not as elastic or as resilient as when you're younger. Those kinds of things, coupled with any kind of health issue you might have, trend toward this loss of airway function and respiratory function. This doesn't mean that turning 65 automatically puts someone in the high-risk category. It comes down to the individual. Age and your condition in life will really drive your susceptibility. You may be in your 30s, but if you've made a wreck of your health and have these chronic health conditions, you're going to be more susceptible, just like you see with the garden variety annual flu. That also means that the emergence of COVID-19 overlapping with that often fatal respiratory illness probably accounts for why oldies are not goodies when it comes to this new bug. Influenza is still at elevated levels across much of the country and has affected something in order of 36 million people so far this season and has resulted in at least 370,000 hospitalizations, with (big surprise here) most of those among those 65 and older, plus 22,000 deaths. Why we haven't sudden stopped human activity because of it is another of life's big mysteries, right? Especially since little old Covid-19 has a ways to go before it catches up. But I expect as we've seen in news reports, anyone who dies of any flu in 2020 will be counted as a Covid casualty.

No big mystery, here.

Comment

Listen carefully. You are being lied to.

The influential article "The Hammer and the Dance" has been making waves in Washington. The model that is currently being used by public health officials is this one:
                        https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

This model assumes a more severe version of the same rigid social distancing laws currently in place in France and other European nations.
                        https://covid19.govt.nz/assets/COVID...-levels_v2.pdf

The social distancing regulations will be enforced until August of 2020 at least.
                        Note that the model assumes that 3% of the population will be infected and that there will NO (0) infected individuals after August. Do they intend to have a vaccine by August? You have to read between the lines but it is clear to me that the plan is to eradicate the disease by aggressive tracking of cases and imprisonment of infected victims.

I also want to point out that the BCG vaccine has been used in France but not in Italy. It looks to me like it is not having a significant effect.
                        I believe that the number of infected is severely underestinated. It's probably time to relax the confinement for 40 and under and parents of young children in northern italy, Madrid and France.

It would be very good if they start sampling random population for covid 19 antibodies asap.
                        engineer with little (or even no) economic insight

Comment

lives vs livelihoods

We will be wrestling with this for some time.

When is it appropriate to "re-start"? What is the criteria?

Re-start normal family life, such as visiting and hugging the grandparents.
                          Re-start normal community life, such as speaking in person with your neighbours and friends, share a meal.
                          Re-start a business.
                          Re-start a job (that cannot be done over a computer from the basement).
                          Re-start a club, team sport,

Where to from here? How does the era after this crisis unfold?

Do people develop a preference to avoid cities?
                          Do we see the re-emergence of the nation-state (Brexit to the power of n, worldwide), isolationist in inclination?
                          Do we develop a habit of being suspicious of others and maintaining a deliberate distance?
                          Do we continue the current path of "applying the paddles" of extending the debt supercycle to jumpstart our economies, or has it run its course and now force the need for different economic model(s) built out of the wreckage?

And finally, are we all going to come our senses and recognize the enormous price we are paying for doing the kinds of deals we have done with China? For nothing more than a short term economic gain...

Acting completely in character:

China exporting faulty medical equipment as manufacturing rebounds

China’s manufacturing rebounded in March now that Beijing began opening factories following the easing of anti-coronavirus measures, and the Netherlands became the latest nation to reject medical gear made in the country because of concerns over shoddy equipment, according to reports...

Meanwhile, the Netherlands joined Spain, Turkey, Georgia and the Czech Republic in rejecting China-made medical gear, claiming the items were substandard and questioning their quality as the number of global coronavirus cases passes 826,000...
                          Last edited by GRG55; April 05, 2020, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankL View Post
                            I believe that the number of infected is severely underestimated. It's probably time to relax the confinement for 40 and under and parents of young children in northern Italy, Madrid and France.

It would be very good if they start sampling random population for covid 19 antibodies asap.
                            The terrifying thing about this disease is the near total absence of believable numbers from any corner. That is why I put so much stock in this article from the Italian new paper Corriere Della Sera:

https://www.corriere.it/politica/20_marzo_26/the-real-death-toll-for-covid-19-is-at-least-4-times-the-official-numbers-b5af0edc-6eeb-11ea-925b-a0c3cdbe1130.shtml

Looking at a small town in the north of Italy, they averaged the deaths over the previous four years. Then they compared the deaths to date from all causes. They assumed that any death above the average for the previous four years was due to the virus. This method revealed that the death rate ( the one measure that we thought we could rely on) was off by a factor of at least four and as much as a factor of ten.

Making the extremely pessimistic assumption that the entire population of the town had been infected they arrived at the conclusion that the death rate from covid19 was about 1% (CFR). Whether you think this is a big enough deal to shut down the entire economy is up to you.
                            Last edited by globaleconomicollaps; April 05, 2020, 12:46 PM.

Comment

The terrifying thing about this disease is the near total absence of believable numbers from any corner. That is why I put so much stock in this article from the Italian new paper Corriere Della Sera:

https://www.corriere.it/politica/20_marzo_26/the-real-death-toll-for-covid-19-is-at-least-4-times-the-official-numbers-b5af0edc-6eeb-11ea-925b-a0c3cdbe1130.shtml

Looking at a small town in the north of Italy, they averaged the deaths over the previous four years. Then they compared the deaths to date from all causes. They assumed that any death above the average for the previous four years was due to the virus. This method revealed that the death rate ( the one measure that we thought we could rely on) was off by a factor of at least four and as much as a factor of ten.

Making the extremely pessimistic assumption that the entire population of the town had been infected they arrived at the conclusion that the death rate from covid19 was about 1% (CFR). Whether you think this is a big enough deal to shut down the entire economy is up to you.
                              The CFR for under 40 is much lower. They should start asap with a tiered de-confinement. Under 40 and families with young children first. 3-4 weeks later they can de-confine the 40-50 cohort if there's no unmanageable uptick in cases.

4 weeks later, if herd immunity is achieved, deconfine everybody. Else deconfine just the 50-60 cohort and deconfine everyone else another 4 weeks later.
                              engineer with little (or even no) economic insight

Comment

Originally posted by GRG55 View Post
                                We will be wrestling with this for some time.

When is it appropriate to "re-start"? What is the criteria?

Re-start normal family life, such as visiting and hugging the grandparents.
                                Re-start normal community life, such as speaking in person with your neighbours and friends, share a meal.
                                Re-start a business.
                                Re-start a job (that cannot be done over a computer from the basement).
                                Re-start a club, team sport,

Where to from here? How does the era after this crisis unfold?

Do people develop a preference to avoid cities?
                                Do we see the re-emergence of the nation-state (Brexit to the power of n, worldwide), isolationist in inclination?
                                Do we develop a habit of being suspicious of others and maintaining a deliberate distance?
                                Do we continue the current path of "applying the paddles" of extending the debt supercycle to jumpstart our economies, or has it run its course and now force the need for different economic model(s) built out of the wreckage?

And finally, are we all going to come our senses and recognize the enormous price we are paying for doing the kinds of deals we have done with China? For nothing more than a short term economic gain...

Acting completely in character:

China exporting faulty medical equipment as manufacturing rebounds

China’s manufacturing rebounded in March now that Beijing began opening factories following the easing of anti-coronavirus measures, and the Netherlands became the latest nation to reject medical gear made in the country because of concerns over shoddy equipment, according to reports...

Meanwhile, the Netherlands joined Spain, Turkey, Georgia and the Czech Republic in rejecting China-made medical gear, claiming the items were substandard and questioning their quality as the number of global coronavirus cases passes 826,000...
                                This was interesting from Marginal Revolution on what might change.

https://marginalrevolution.com/margi...es-happen.html

Comment

Working...
                                X