Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank Getta!

also Musk...........

300BHP + from 1500 cc 3 cyinder engines!

https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...e/&prev=search

Mike
    Last edited by Mega; February 03, 2020, 11:15 AM.

Re: Thank Getta!

Mike there is a big trade off between how much power you can squeeze out of a given engine and how long it might last.
    Here in the US folks enjoy drag racing down a quarter mile strip.
    The race is so short that the crankshaft only makes about 700 rotations during the entire race.
    Those guys often raise the horsepower of an engine 500% or more and are delighted if it lasts 6 seconds for one race.

NASCAR racers only need to operate 500 miles before they blow up, and Le Mans cars only need to run 24 hours before the engine fails.

Back here in the real world, I'm pretty impressed by the horsepower increases from new production cars with small engines and strong turbochargers.
    275 hp from a 2 liter engine that will last ten years and 150,000 miles is pretty good in my book and they are available widely.

Comment

Agreed, but the tec marches on, I mean back in the day who thought using liquid nit-o-ten to get con rods frozen, then break then would ever make production?

Back in the late 1980's I was working in a CNC shop making video drums (the shiny things that carried the heads) for Sharp VCR's. It needed to be turned to a round less of +/- 5 microns. ................easiest job I every had!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by thriftyandboringinohio View Post
        Mike there is a big trade off between how much power you can squeeze out of a given engine and how long it might last.
        Porsche has figured this out. For the last 3 seasons I tracked a 3.8 liter GT4 with 385 hp. Red line 7800 rpm. Over a race weekend I'm on the track 4-5 times, 25 minute sessions. Depending on the track 120-140 miles over 2 days where the engine was seldom running under 5000 rpm. I traded that car in this winter for a used GT3, 4.0 liters, 475 hp and a 9000 rpm red line. I bought this car because Porsche had a problem with the original engine, swapped out the engine and gave the new one a 10 year warranty. I will likely put 10,000 track miles on this car at an average rpm of 6-7000.

At the Porsche track training center in Birmingham Alabama they have their students race all of the various Porsches 4-5 days a week until the cars reach 10,000 miles. The cars only break when a student decides they'll drive above their expertise. Porsches are bulletproof and when any of their components prove to be less so, they replace them without cost.

Comment

" they replace them without cost."

Crank seals.............
          Mike

Comment

Working...
          X