Thread: Trump:- Looking good (Job numbers)

Threaded View

GRG55 is offline iTulip High Commissioner, Select Premium Member, Canada and Persian Gulf

Default Re: Trump:- Looking good (Job numbers)

Quote Originally Posted by touchring View Post
    Not suncor?
    My criteria for buying and selling Suncor is well documented in past postings. Buy it when it falls below CAN $28 on the Toronto Exchange. Start selling when it breaks above $40. You should be out of the stock entirely when it hits $45.

At this time I can't come up with any good reason to own any Canadian energy stocks whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by jk View Post
    no, the dollar HAS to go down in the intermediate and long term. the only question is: against what? i'm not sure about how it will be relative to other currencies, as they are likely to lose value as well, so all i can say is "against stuff." but the loonie looks like it has to go down in the near term...

I've been quite negative on the Loonie for some years now, limiting my investment portfolio to a maximum 5% Canadian economy exposure for at least the past 5 years. If anything my pessimism about the Canadian economy and the exchange value of the Loonie is increasing; I agree with your view. Unless the Federal Government comes to its senses rather quickly, and there is no evidence of that at the moment, a 61 cent CAN $ is well within the realm of the possible.

The one thing that might derail it is the US Federal Reserve deciding to aggressively cut rates in quick succession, while the Bank of Canada deliberately trails as it tries to hold up the currency over fear of inflation.

Last Update: 8 Dec 2019 21:15 GMT+0

The Canada 10Y Government Bond has a 1.584% yield.
    10 Years vs 2 Years bond spread is -7.4 bp.
    Yield Curve is inverted in Long-Term vs Short-Term Maturities.

Yield Comparison Spread Curve Convexity
    2Y vs 1Y -2.8 bp Yield Curve is inverted in Short-Term Maturities
    5Y vs 2Y -6.4 bp Yield Curve is inverted in Mid-Term vs Short-Term Maturities
    10Y vs 2Y -7.4 bp Yield Curve is inverted in Long-Term vs Short-Term Maturities
    Last edited by GRG55; 12-08-19 at 07:02 PM.