• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyson walks away from his EV car!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...ic-car-project

You can't make money on it!

Mike

Re: Dyson walks away from his EV car!

Talk round the camp fire is he couldn't get a Solid state battery that worked!
    If this is the case then we looking at 10 years at lest before anyone else might.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mega View Post
      Talk round the camp fire is he couldn't get a Solid state battery that worked!
      If this is the case then we looking at 10 years at lest before anyone else might.

Mike
      Years ago I worked in research and development and kept track of emerging technologies. I decided there is sure-fire way to know if a technology is feasible.
      The researchers will always say things are coming along nicely and tell you how important the newest little change is.
      But when they say "ten years" for the final viable product, you can laugh and walk away.

That "ten years away" statement always means the final breakthrough is tantalizing and seems doable but, despite all the talented PhD's involved, they have no earthly idea how to solve those last problems.

Comment

If you want to design, build, market and provide ongoing customer support for a car, AND you aren't already in the car business, the only way to do it is have the capital markets write you unconditional BIG cheques in the belief you are going to "change the world" (and put Ford, GM, Chrysler/Fiat, Daimler, Nissan, Toyota and all the rest out of business in the process).

I think Dyson was too late to use that story...

Comment

Hopefully this will be a bit of blow to Tesla, I think VW need to KILL them via VW-Porsche pin-zer attack

Comment

Hopefully this will be a bit of blow to Tesla, I think VW need to KILL them via VW-Porsche pin-zer attack

I think Tesla will prevail. Unfortunately.

Originally posted by GRG55 View Post
            If you want to design, build, market and provide ongoing customer support for a car, AND you aren't already in the car business, the only way to do it is have the capital markets write you unconditional BIG cheques in the belief you are going to "change the world" (and put Ford, GM, Chrysler/Fiat, Daimler, Nissan, Toyota and all the rest out of business in the process).
            Originally posted by GRG55 View Post

I think Dyson was too late to use that story...

Perhaps WeWork IPO bust was the final nail in the coffin?

Comment

Originally posted by thriftyandboringinohio View Post
              Years ago I worked in research and development and kept track of emerging technologies. I decided there is sure-fire way to know if a technology is feasible.
              The researchers will always say things are coming along nicely and tell you how important the newest little change is.
              But when they say "ten years" for the final viable product, you can laugh and walk away.

That "ten years away" statement always means the final breakthrough is tantalizing and seems doable but, despite all the talented PhD's involved, they have no earthly idea how to solve those last problems.
              I look at is as a continuum.

technically feasible <——————————————————————-> commercially viable

Somewhere in the middle is “esoteric viability” such as fuel cells on the Apollo space program, where price/performance has completely different calculus to Mum driving a fuel cell powered minivan.

Hopefully, solid state batteries parallel pharmacology molecule research.

10 years and $1 billion to get to human trials.

Lithium Ion battery researchers just shared the Nobel for Chemistry.

That was 10-15 years for initial commercial viability, another 10-15 years for wider commercial viability, and another 10-15 years for ubiquity.

Comment

My hairline has changed "so what" over the last 10 years so .........since I was 15 I was told "Don't worry a cure is only 5 years away"

5 Years away from what !!!!

Comment

My hairline has changed "so what" over the last 10 years so .........since I was 15 I was told "Don't worry a cure is only 5 years away"

5 Years away from what !!!!
                  Solid State Batteries are currently used in things like pacemakers.

So I guess that qualifies as initial commercial viability.

So my over-simplistic guess(based on LiON) is that it will be another 20-30 years before we have ubiquitous high energy density solid state battery storage to truly compete against ICE energy storage.

Comment

Lets make a Battery!
                    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/t...on-car-battery

Comment

Ah the latest want-2-be

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...er-%C2%A315100
                      Mike

Comment

EV sure path to fortune
                        https://www.carscoops.com/2019/10/fa...cy-in-the-u-s/

Comment

Comment

Comment

Wow, Tesla stock went up significantly just couple of months.

Maybe I missed the boat?

Comment

Working...
                              X