Quote Originally Posted by GRG55 View Post
It is the natural alliance of overtly authoritarian regimes. Think of it as a multinational mutual support society. I agree with your observation the Chinese are looking to find durable markets for their goods and services to reduce their dependence on the USA, and Europe.
It's also one of the reasons I think the pundits are wrong about India. At least at this time in history, India doesn't look like a natural participant, despite its longstanding ties with Russia.

Almost two decades ago even the Saudis and Mubarak in Egypt were tiring of hearing incessant lectures about human rights and democratic reforms from their American benefactors. China looked very appealing back then, and I have recollections of writing some posts on this forum about those subtle realignments underway when I lived in the Gulf. To the point that I believed (and still do) that it will be the Chinese navy that replaces the 5th Fleet as the USA's "Fortress America" inclinations play out in time.
Agreed.

Xi’s Chinese Navy today seems like a right sized analog to Reagan’s 80’s US Navy 600 ship fleet goal.

I’m all for the US disengaging from direct and indirect kinetic action in the region.

But you can’t have your cake and eat it too when it comes to disengagement and maintaining the exorbitant privilege of the global reserve currency.

Shifts in bilateral and multilateral network trade volumes are going to be interesting to watch to try and determine what currency/basket/commodity/crypto emerges next, or provides the bridge to get us there.

While the US is theoretically energy independent, I suspect acting too aggressively/arrogantly/unilaterally could lead to a fair bit of pain.

I don’t think “data is the new oil” quite yet.

At least not until we have something to replace oil getting us from A to B that is affordable for folks outside of the Bay Area.

Maybe Zoom(ZM: NASDAQ) at $20 billion is a cheap hedge someday if we get $100-150 energy and/or pandemic scare again.

I’ve never traveled for work more than I do now, but I also have never used Zoom more than I do now.

UAE seem to have made some legit headway towards a post oil world someday.

But Saudi Arabia is going to have to do a lot more than just writing embarrassingly massive checks in Softbank’s Vision Fund to build a sustainable post oil future.

I am beginning to wonder if the Shah propping up the likes of Grumman(and others) in the 1970’s is being eerily repeated by Saudi’s MBS propping up tech valuations thru Softbank’s Vision Fund?

The Shah(his money) was most welcome in the US, right up until he(it) wasn’t.