United IRELAND?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: United IRELAND?

johnson might accede to the law requiring him to ask for an extension, but simultaneously re-affirm his intention to veto the eu budget. i believe the budget comes up in march [?]. that would put enormous pressure on the eu to resolve matters asap.

Comment

Is the NI border issue just a decoy?
      Are we going to find the EU "Folds" at the 11 hour, only for a rushed vote to expect the "deal" before the small print read?

Moggy is my only hope
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mega View Post
        Is the NI border issue just a decoy?
        Are we going to find the EU "Folds" at the 11 hour, only for a rushed vote to expect the "deal" before the small print read?

Moggy is my only hope
        Mike
        i don't think so.
        My understanding is it was one of the key issues that caused PM May's deal to be voted down three times in Parliament. And it seems the major reason Johnson's proposal is getting traction with some of the influential Remainers, such as David Cameron.

Comment

Originally posted by GRG55 View Post
          i don't think so.
          My understanding is it was one of the key issues that caused PM May's deal to be voted down three times in Parliament. And it seems the major reason Johnson's proposal is getting traction with some of the influential Remainers, such as David Cameron.
          it is reported that merkel told johnson today that n.i. MUST remain in the customs union, indefinitely. if so, we'll see how that plays against bj saying he'll veto the eu budget and send farage as his eu commissioner.

Comment

Originally posted by jk View Post
            it is reported that merkel told johnson today that n.i. MUST remain in the customs union, indefinitely. if so, we'll see how that plays against bj saying he'll veto the eu budget and send farage as his eu commissioner.
            Yes, I read that also.

If the report is accurate (and I think appropriate to remain sceptical in the absence of confirmation from the parties to the conversation) it suggests a certain tone deafness. No deal will pass the British Parliament with that condition; it has already been tried 3 previous times.

Its in the interests of all parties to negotiate a reasonable compromise everyone can live with, and everyone can make work somewhat smoothly. That is why I still think a deal of some sort has the edge over no-deal Brexit. But not all the politicians are looking out for the interests of their constituents as their first priority.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X