Daks Over Normandy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daks Over Normandy

As we approach June 6th, the 75th anniversary of D-Day, one of the more interesting commemorative events (yes, I know the speeches from our politicians will be riveting ) will be a mass parachute drop replicating the first Allied infantry troops to land in France that day.

They will be in period uniform, using the round silk parachutes of the day, and will be dropped from approximately 30 Douglas C-47/DC-3 aircraft ("Dakotas"), some of which flew those same skies and dropped paratroopers on D-Day. I say "approximately" because these airplanes are coming from private collections in many nations, including Canada and the USA, and being flown to England, and then over the Channel. Crossing the North Atlantic with these ancient flying museum pieces is no small feat, and the mechanics going along will no doubt be working hard to deal with the inevitable mechanical issues of old engines and airframes on that long journey. At least one of the US planes has had to withdraw due to the failure of an engine on the way to Connecticut last week.

https://www.daksovernormandy.com/

This past weekend a number of the USA contingent converged at Oxford airport in Connecticut, in advance of the pond crossing via Gander.

https://www.courant.com/news/connect...6wy-story.html

The aircraft will be assembling at RAF Duxford starting this week, and crossing the Channel in formation on June 5.

The 75th commemorations of the events of WWII are quite different from the 50th anniversary events in the first half of the 1990s. Few of the veterans now remain. Lt Col. Richard Cole, the last of the Doolittle Raiders, and James Doolittle's copilot in the lead airplane, died this April at the age of 103. My father-in-law landed at Normandy two weeks after D-Day, once the engineers had built the facilities needed to land heavy equipment on the beaches. He was a heavy tank unit commander. His armoured brigade supported the Canadian infantry that liberated northern France, Belgium and Holland. Last year we came across a metal bracelet in his personal effects, engraved with the date of a soccer tournament the troops organized after capturing the port of Antwerp in the Battle of the Scheldt.

If you are anywhere near Duxford June 2-5, or Caen Carpiquet, Normandy June 5-9, go have a look. It'll likely be the last time to witness an assembly like this.

Re: Daks Over Normandy

Originally posted by GRG55 View Post
    If you are anywhere near Duxford June 2-5, or Caen Carpiquet, Normandy June 5-9, go have a look. It'll likely be the last time to witness an assembly like this.
    Thanks GRG55. I live just miles away from Duxford and will go have a look.

Comment

Re: Daks Over Normandy

Originally posted by GRG55 View Post
      As we approach June 6th, the 75th anniversary of D-Day, one of the more interesting commemorative events (yes, I know the speeches from our politicians will be riveting ) will be a mass parachute drop replicating the first Allied infantry troops to land in France that day.

It'll likely be the last time to witness an assembly like this.
      I attended and jumped Albany, DZ "A" into Foucarville at the 70th Anniversary in 2014 representing NZ in a stick full of 173rd "Third Herd" fellas.

We had 9 DC3/C47s in 2014 and it was pretty cool to both jump the Dak and see 3 DC3/C47 Vees in formation dropping sticks.

We stayed in a field camp next to a chateau used by the local Resistance cell staying with Canadian, US, Brit, Finn, Polish, South African, Norwegian, and even German paratroopers.

This year it looks like the team has wrangled up to 34 airframes. Kind of like the Gathering of Mustangs a decade+ ago in Florida.

The number of attendees and participants was simply staggering in 2014 and I can't imagine how big it will be this year.

Hopefully this year the cross channel jumpers will get to jump....in 2014 at the 70th the winds at the DZ were too high forcing them to land in Cherbourg and re-run it later.

This is definitely the last major anniversary we will see the last of the few remaining D-Day participants still alive.

It will be pretty amazing......both from the ground and in the air.

The Stop Bar in St Mere Eglise is THE place to go to day or night.

That's where Easy Company of "Band of Brothers" fame had a quick drink before moving to the next contact.

We got pretty drunk there with a bunch of Ranger Batt boys, Paras, and Canadians. A real career highlight.

Sadly, I can't make the 75th....... as I'll be jumping out of CH47 Chinooks on the NZ Team at Leapfest instead.

Comment

Working...
      X