Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Economic Crisis Avoidance Deus ex Machina - Part I: Active Asset Price Inflation - Eric Janszen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Economic Crisis Avoidance Deus ex Machina - Part I: Active Asset Price Inflation - Eric Janszen

Originally posted by dcarrigg View Post
    Maybe the algorithm is just dumb.
    I don't think so. If it were just dumb, you would see a bunch of American inventors of all ethnicities, not just black ones. A crude search algorithm would match "American inventors" with the specific "African American inventors" AND the generic "American inventors" ([insert modifier here] American inventors)

I've worked a fair bit with Google's search appliance in a large enterprise deployment and the search algorithm isn't so crude as to create the results seen in the inventors example. There are specific ways to tweak the user-entered search terms to bias the returned results and I strongly suspect that's what Google has done for its web site.

Comment

• Re: Economic Crisis Avoidance Deus ex Machina - Part I: Active Asset Price Inflation - Eric Janszen

To what end? That's the question I have. Say there was an active board meeting where they conspired to make all the inventors black. What's in it for them?

Comment

To what end? That's the question I have. Say there was an active board meeting where they conspired to make all the inventors black. What's in it for them?
        I cannot know for certain. I have, however, read a lot of the material that came out of the James Damore incident and it's clear that there are a lot of employees within Google who are pushing certain agendas. As for the American inventors issue, seobook makes it clear. Who, inside or outside Google, is going to raise a fuss over this and be forced to endure the shrill screeching of, "Racist!" ?

Comment

OK. That one's clearer. Even moreso if you type in 'caucasian scientists.' 'List of scientists' gets you more or less the expected cast of characters. I'm still not convinced it's not something like a result of crawling wikipedia and finding that articles about white scientists neglect to mention race where articles about black scientists make it prominent. 'Asian scientists' gets you a different result all together. By country, it seems to work fine for Indian or Canadian or Hungarian scientists, but American scientists has the same issue American inventors did. Clearly it's screwed up. And I don't rule out the idea that there's some general effort to make things PC so as not to piss people off. I'm not sure the knife doesn't multiple ways if that's happening. That was my idea on youtube, right? Some muslim extremist titles a video 'Death to all Jews,' and they'll scrub it. Some nazi does the same and it's straight to the top. Clearly there's some people they don't want to piss off, and others they don't mind pissing off.

Comment

That was my idea on youtube, right? Some muslim extremist titles a video 'Death to all Jews,' and they'll scrub it. Some nazi does the same and it's straight to the top. .
            is this true?

Comment

Originally posted by Milton Kuo View Post
              I cannot know for certain. I have, however, read a lot of the material that came out of the James Damore incident and it's clear that there are a lot of employees within Google who are pushing certain agendas. As for the American inventors issue, seobook makes it clear. Who, inside or outside Google, is going to raise a fuss over this and be forced to endure the shrill screeching of, "Racist!" ?
              Based on my experience in Silicon Valley and the tech sector, I'd agree that the sector does run centre left(American centre left....which is further right than European center left) from my anecdotal experience.

However, when iTulip went off the boil and I started spending a bit more time in SV visiting Y-Combinator I found YC's Hacker News: https://news.ycombinator.com/

While my experience with YC partners/staff/investors/batch attendees leaned towards US centre left, YC's Hacker News forum seems to run as middle of the road as I've been able to find anywhere.

More Data/Fact driven forum discourse than I've found elsewhere.

Google's leaked internal video with it's founders and senior leadership(excluding CEO) after the US 2016 election was.....interesting.

Maybe it just provides a giant illuminated sign saying "Pay for your news coverage, or you risk getting what you pay for."

Glad to see iTulip dialogue and discourse up and running again.

There was a company founder I met(can't recall off the top of my head) who is running a tech industry paid subscription version of the Presidential Daily Briefing that I thought was an awesome concept.....especially if expanded to include other news such as political, international by region, social, economic, etc.

Short, sharp, bite sized unbiased analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by subtly View Post
                is this true?
                Pretty much. If not scrubbed, then redirected. They talk about it openly. Typical thing Rand would be interested in. They floated a press balloon about doing similarly with neo-nazis. Got them a bunch of flak from places like RT and Zerocred saying they'd be censoring conservatives. So they settled on putting a warning up and disabling comments etc. if it gets reported enough, but not scrubbing or harder measures like redirecting.

First point being, never trust the damned search bar. I agree with others here on that. But second point being political correctness cuts both ways. If your brand of political violence is popular in a given country, they go easier on it than if it's unpopular. Path of least resistance.

Comment

On some of the entity association stuff Google still has major, major misses.

Consider the image used here on original CHIPS (california highway patrol) TV series.

If an issue doesn't draw embarrassments or complaints then fixing it is not a major priority, as they want to have scalable algorithms rather than tons of manual overrides.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• EJ’s Secret Message

Referring back to the Asset Price Inflation Peaks chart, today all the antecedents of the past two such events are present in extremis.
                    The word extremis is extremely rare.
                    So why is EJ using it?

Because it will remind bugs of the “famous” Greenspan quote:

"Gold still represents the ultimate form of payment in the world. Fiat money, in extremis, is accepted by nobody. Gold is always accepted."
                    https://taxfreegold.co.uk/greenspan.html

EJ wants mainstream respectability, so he will not use the four letter G-word.

But if he really believes that:
                    “Further fueling investor angst is the sense that price levels across many asset classes are growing to increasingly alarming and distorted proportions, including housing, ETFs, stocks, and bonds; debt taken on over the period is unsustainable and in some cases quite perverse, notably student debt.”
                    and also:
                    The result of the application of long-bond price fixing is a global economy cut loose from its moorings, operating for the first time in history without a market rate of interest that can be confirmed by market participants at any point in time.
                    Then There is not much left but one asset that cannot be devalued by a decision to produce more of it.

God is done making GXXX.
                    Last edited by Polish_Silver; December 26, 2018, 02:43 PM. Reason: add content

Comment

• wealth effect.

Originally posted by jk View Post

isn't this "the wealth effect" which has indeed been discussed as the mechanism by which qe stimulates the economy?

I think the "wealth effect" is the stimulus caused by rising asset prices, regardless of cause.

I think the question here is the FED directly supporting asset prices to promote economic growth.

Comment

• Re: wealth effect.

Originally posted by Polish_Silver View Post
                        I think the question here is the FED directly supporting asset prices to promote economic growth.
                        if you say low rates make capital easier to obtain, yes that promotes growth but not via asset prices.
                        there is no mechanism for higher asset prices per se to promote growth other than via the wealth effect increasing demand.

Comment

• Re: wealth effect.

Originally posted by jk View Post
                          if you say low rates make capital easier to obtain, yes that promotes growth but not via asset prices.
                          there is no mechanism for higher asset prices per se to promote growth other than via the wealth effect increasing demand.
                          Not sure if your definition of "wealth effect" is inclusive of this, but increasing asset prices allow the collateralizing of increasing credit (for example, re-financing mortgages which frees up cash and credit to buy more property).

Comment

• VirZOOM subscription offer

iTulip Select Perks Offering -
                            $375 Investment in VirZOOM for 1-Year FREE iTulip Select Subscription
                            $600 Investment in VirZOOM for 2-Year FREE iTulip Select Subscription
                            $1,000 Investment in VirZOOM for 5-Year FREE iTulip Select Subscription

*Offer expires 12/31/2018 @11:59 pm EDT. Act NOW!

I just subscribed.

Looking forward to a revitalized iTulip community to help us all steer wisely through the next five years. Healthy strong bodies exercising more through VirZOOM -- an additional benefit.

Best wishes to all for the coming year!!!!
                            If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will.

Comment

• Re: EJ’s Secret Message

Originally posted by Polish_Silver View Post
                              The word extremis is extremely rare.
                              Then There is not much left but one asset that cannot be devalued by a decision to produce more of it.

God is done making GXXX.
                              I find it amusing you are insinuating that the God of Abraham somehow condones gold worship. You must be one of those literal bible readers who think worshiping the golden calf was simple idolatry and not referring to the worship of gold specifically.

Then we have the Romans who declared war on the Phoenicians in no small part because of their use of gold. The largest and most famed Empire in history in the beginning conquered the known world using Iron tokens and Iron will.

What is not emphasized on this site enough is the political nature of money. Money has value not because it is "rare". It has value because a government authority imposes it on a people through demanding payment in taxes in that currency and adjudicating debts in that currency.

Gold is, for any business purpose, completely worthless as no court in the United States or in any civilized country will adjudicate debts in "gold" or anything God is done making. And civil courts are what separate civilized countries from barbarians. This has always been the case, going back to the very first city states and civil courts.

As we transition to what Lord Keynes proposed at the first United Nations Conference - the Bancor - Goldbugs will misunderstand the nature of exchange rates. They may even call for a return to an actual gold standard, despite the fact it obviously did not work. What we need is a flexible exchange rate system that has the primary benefit of a gold standard - preventing competitive currency devaluation on international markets - along with the benefits of modern econometrics. And that is what we are going to get.

In the not so distant future, goldbugs will be forgotten. And foreign exchange will only be conducted in Bancors or whatever ends up being the replacement.

Comment

• Re: EJ’s Secret Message

Welcome LK, I see you are new around here.
                                You might do well to plow through some old threads about gold, and read EJ' s early articles as far back as 1999.

Most of the folk around here have a deep and subtle understanding of the political nature of money, the nature of gold and fiat currencies, and the histories of the Bancor and SDR.
                                Threads around here were spirited and lively about gold and silver a few years ago, and some of us bought physical below $300 an ounce.

Gold has been money for more than 1,000 years, and central banks around the world continue to accumulate it.
                                I'll be keeping mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X