Brexit latest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brexit latest

Spoke to a long standing well conected high ranking manger in work today ............talk round the camp fire........its an agreed "No deal" Brexit.....fall out will be contained & managed.

Mike

Re: Brexit latest

Got a bit of firsthand word on the street from Andalusia the other day. Word is that they're no happier in Gibraltar than the borderlands of Erin. No doubt the forces that be in Argentina have turned one eye to the Malvinas, just as some in Brussels are gearing up for Akrotiri and Dhekelia. The mighty, when swept off their fleet, might have little sense of how far they have to fall.

Last edited by dcarrigg; November 25, 2018, 01:35 PM.

Comment

worried about things in Ireland, Gib less so.........1 million uk people living in Europe..........3 million Europeans in the UK!

As for the Falklands...........

Comment

Either way, they didn't just buy all those French Super Etendards for nothing. The whole point was to have them operational for security by the G-20 in Buenos Aires later this week. They know the window is short while Britain has no carriers and cannot project any real naval force. And they know that Rockhopper's planning on tapping the oil soon, so a couple weeks ago they responded by leasing their own offshore areas. Meanwhile, things are tough at home, and the Argentine Peso has lost value dramatically this year. This plus a UK government teetering on the edge and a big diplomatic row with Europe makes it a tempting time to snatch up pieces of what's left of the Empire. Probably nothing happens. But if I were a betting man, I'd say the odds are up given the confluence of events. At least I think at this point they'd be fools not to be considering it as a short-term move.

Britain has chosen the exact time when the Royal Navy is the weakest it has been for centuries to pull out of a multitude of international agreements, erode its soft power, and destabilize its government. It'll be only by dumb luck and the grace of God if she gets out of it unscarred. And I wouldn't count on Uncle Sam or the Commonwealth to take sides against the EU over it if I were John Bull. Don't get me wrong. I'm nothing has to be catastrophic. But it's as good a time for score settling as there has been for nearly a century. And there's still some old scores with the UK people are looking to settle. And France a year or two ago was hesitant about selling those people advanced weapons. Not so much these days. They recently sold them four new Gowind Class Corvettes too.
        Last edited by dcarrigg; November 25, 2018, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Meanwhile, for anyone paying attention, it has been obvious that Russia was going to take the opportunity to move deeper into Ukraine. And at this moment it looks like they might be making that move.

Last edited by dcarrigg; November 25, 2018, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X