Quote Originally Posted by jk View Post
it's hard but i think i learned my lesson in 2016. i'm not going to get caught up in the moralizing and name calling, and i'm not going to be diverted by a tweet from thinking about what i consider basic and important.

i think we are living at a crossroads in the development of global civilization. at times like these, like the 1930's, populism and radicalism become prominent as a reaction to a crescendo of economic conflicts. old arrangements are breaking apart, and the new has not yet formed.

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

i think it was lenin who said there were decades when nothing happened and there are weeks when decades happen. things are not moving quite THAT fast but the "american century" is coming to an end, and something different is emerging. i really recommend dalio's short piece, which is not quite on that grand historical level. and even more strongly i recommend gavekals' "clash of empires," which really sets out the forces driving an ending to the usd global reserve system, and thus too the role of the u.s. as global hegemon.

and although i think, e.g. abortion and immigration are real and important issues, i think they are being used to distract and divide us, so we don't think about the economic and financial structures that underpin the world as currently constituted. we're being played by the man.
Thank you, jk. I look at the world (or as much of it as I can see from my limited little corner) and feel much the same as you.