• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why Democrats Are Becoming The Party Of The One Percent

I blame the poor.

Comment

Originally posted by Milton Kuo View Post
      What about threats by countries to dump their holdings U.S. Treasury bonds, as I think Saudi Arabia kind of did this past week or so? This could potentially trigger a financial crisis and could influence the behavior of the Federal Reserve or the U.S. government in ways that are even more against the interests of the U.S. than they already are.
      the markets didn't seem too concerned when the saudis made that threat. worse comes to worse the fed could buy them and expand its balance sheet some more. i don't think it would make any difference

Also, doesn't increasing the national debt also imply that there is more money flying around?
      and?? we've had warnings about the inflationary consequences for how many years now? and where is the inflation?

If the money is in the hands of foreign interests, couldn't that money be used to buy controlling stakes in many of American corporations?
      already happening

How about using that money to influence elections in this country?
      wasn't al gore involved with some buddhist temple donating money several elections ago?

Unless much of the debt and associated money is kept in American hands, I'm worried that outsiders will have undue influence in the governing of this country.
      who or what are "american hands"? do you think morgan stanley or goldman represent "american hands"? blackstone? blackrock? can you explain how the entities represent american interests? how about pension funds and mutual funds? last i looked the fed was the biggest owner of tbonds anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jk View Post
        this is a detour, but i'm increasingly feeling like the debt doesn't matter. it will never get paid, it will just be rolled over, it hardly costs anything since rates are so low, and it is not crowding out private investment, since private investment is pretty moribund. anyone here want to try to convince me that we should worry about either the national debt or the cumulative trade deficit?
        Maybe so - I just don't think rolling it over and over again will be very easy in he future.

But to revert back to the original question - I think we are already running a new economic system. I call it Manipulatism. And I think it's here to stay. Everything from oil/gold prices, to interest rates to currency values are being massively manipulated under the guise of "keeping the market from crashing", plus the plethora of usual political positions.

2014= 1984
        It's the Debt, stupid!!

Comment

the markets didn't seem too concerned when the saudis made that threat. worse comes to worse the fed could buy them and expand its balance sheet some more. i don't think it would make any difference
          Making a threat is different from actually carrying out that threat. Who could forget Henry Paulson's attempt to halt the market crash in 2008 by saying he had a "bazooka?" And who's to say that other big bond holders won't also sell in a coordinated attack on the U.S. financial system?

and?? we've had warnings about the inflationary consequences for how many years now? and where is the inflation?
          There has not been generally high inflation nor hyperinflation to be sure. However, inflation much higher than 2.0% in many of the things that people need: health insurance (up at least 50% since 2011), food, college tuition, houses in good neighborhoods (my friends in good neighborhoods in Southern and Northern California have seen house prices skyrocket 2x to 3x), rents (check out the rent hikes in the Eastham Capital investments.)

We have had a crash in commodities, including crude oil. I can't remember if this was predicted when EJ first interviewed Art Berman. But the easy money creates a glut of oil, which increases demand, which causes prices to fall, which causes the heavily debt-laden high-cost producers to drill more, etc. None of the drillers want to go bust so they'll keep drilling until the banks give them the hook or demand finally exceeds supply.

I find it hard to believe that current crude oil prices are natural and not terribly distorted by monetary policy.

wasn't al gore involved with some buddhist temple donating money several elections ago?
          So far, it's not obvious (at least to me) which politicians are in the pockets of foreign interests. The Clinton Democrats, which include Al Gore, most certainly. It's also starting to look more and more like Obama is on the take from a foreigner, too.

I'm concerned about things getting far worse than they already are where outsiders blatantly purchase politicians and influence American politics. And, yes, Rupert Murdoch has been doing this for over a decades.

who or what are "american hands"? do you think morgan stanley or goldman represent "american hands"? blackstone? blackrock? can you explain how the entities represent american interests? how about pension funds and mutual funds? last i looked the fed was the biggest owner of tbonds anyway.
          The IBs and PE companies that you mention do not represent the interests of the typical American. However, they are still headed by Americans or people somewhat more sympathetic to Americans than foreigners who may actually be hostile to American interests.

I misunderstood the "debts don't matter" comment you made to mean that the U.S. can expand its balance sheet without limit in a relatively short period of time without fear of any consequences, not the current debt growing at a relativey slow pace.

If the U.S. debt grows at, say 15% per annum continuously and without end, I cannot imagine that the debt won't matter.

Comment

i actually think that right now the economy could use a big infrastructure spend - roads, airports, telecommunications including better internet, sewers, water supply, more resilient electrical grid. i don't care if it's funded by debt or printing- i don't think the funding would make much difference. the u.s. is degrading into 3rd world infrastructure and the investment would ultimately boost productivity while injecting a lot of money into the economy. better than just a helicopter drop since we'd get something out of it. unfortunately, fiscal policy is a no-no, so we put it all on the fed.

i'd be very happy to see a quick run up in federal debt if it were used for such purposes.

Comment

i actually think that right now the economy could use a big infrastructure spend - roads, airports, telecommunications including better internet, sewers, water supply, more resilient electrical grid. i don't care if it's funded by debt or printing- i don't think the funding would make much difference. the u.s. is degrading into 3rd world infrastructure and the investment would ultimately boost productivity while injecting a lot of money into the economy. better than just a helicopter drop since we'd get something out of it. unfortunately, fiscal policy is a no-no, so we put it all on the fed.

i'd be very happy to see a quick run up in federal debt if it were used for such purposes.
              I don't disagree with you there at all and I suspect even a lot of the U.S. bondholders wouldn't disagree. That kind of money spend is a genuine investment that should pay off in an improved American economy and a healthier USD.

Totally unlike the trillions of dollars the Federal Reserve has spent so far that has primarily enriched the rentiers (California is a rentier's paradise) and financial criminals.

Comment

I agree.

From your lips to the Universe Simulation Creators' ears ;-)

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

It's sometimes frustrating that ideas from other threads have to be cobbled together on another thread, and a good one, now in the iTulip bore hole. China has over capacity and we have 3rd world infrastructure. We're beginning to let folks out of jail because our racism is getting embarrassing to everyone but Cruz supporters. So China gets to continue to export while they work out their over capacity, we repair our embarrassing infrastructure and begin to repair our relationship with non white folks in the US. Seems like a win, win, win to me.

Comment

Originally posted by shiny! View Post

I agree.

From your lips to the Universe Simulation Creators' ears ;-)
                    heh!
                    +2

Originally posted by santafe2 View Post
                    It's sometimes frustrating that ideas from other threads have to be cobbled together on another thread, and a good one, now in the iTulip bore hole. China has over capacity and we have 3rd world infrastructure. We're beginning to let folks out of jail because our racism is getting embarrassing to everyone but Cruz supporters. So China gets to continue to export while they work out their over capacity, we repair our embarrassing infrastructure and begin to repair our relationship with non white folks in the US. Seems like a win, win, win to me.

well... this was on a roll - till we get the kalifornia-liberal/white-guilt-trip spewing apologism all over it - but i'll agree with ya on cruz - who is simply the lwr manhattan mob's bought'n'paid-for backup plan if hitlery dont win.

but i appreciate your coming-out, being upfront and 'owning it' - since you'd rather be an apologist for obozo,clinton&co - than come right out and maybe say that a massive build-out of our energy ace-in-the-hole might even be a good bet for a massive fiscal injection - since it would simultaneously accomplish several oft-stated goals of:

1 - do something substantive about 'climate/warming/global change' (that doesnt require coal-fired power when the sun goes down, esp to recharge all the teslas the climate/social-justice warriors seem to prefer driving)

2 - shut off the flow of USD that caused the largest transfer of wealth in world history - from The US to those so-very-PC types over there in the mideast - at least until the lwr manhattan mob put 'their man' in the whitehouse (in 1992 and again in 2008)

3 - would put IMMEDIATELY to work, the already bought and paid-for technology - that we've paid thru the nose in developing over the past 75 years - that we INVENTED, already OWN OUTRIGHT all of the raw materials/know-how for, have an ALREADY TRAINED AND READY TO GO skilled workforce - thats mostly sitting on the bench (due mostly to the policies/politix of the past 8 years, developed/promoted by academic dweebs such as paul krugman, ben bernanke, et al - along with most of the rest of the lib-demorat universe that hasnt been able to come up with anything that's actually increased the net number of REAL JOBS for main st (hint: and nuthin that's got an ' i ' or an ' e ' in front of it for that matter, which has done more to destroy the economy of main st than even obumma care) - i mean, that is, that didnt involve outright give-aways to their enablers in the crony class, aka 'solyndrical logic' and the awarding of gazzilion dollar subsidies so the electric utilities can 'harness the power of wind & solar' to krank up THEIR profits, while charging The Rest of US MORE for KWH's they get 'for free', since capex for stuff like solar & wind is H.U.G.E. while returning very little in the way of actual KWH's produced per square foot of installed capacity - typically located FAR AWAY from the consumer, requiring vast mileage of line-loss transmission infrastructure - read: due to NIMBYism that causes most of California's sources of power to come from out of state - along with everything else involving 'heavy industry' - so they can crow about 'how sustainable' their downright goofy energy/tax/social policies are (read: why texas is booming outside the oil patch)

oh.. sorry eh - got carried away on my rant and forgot to mention that what i'm referring to above is the dreaded N word.
                    (and NOT the one you'd like to tar/feather me with)

Comment

Yes, We need a New Clear solution as part of rebuilding infrastructure. Something the current lead crooks haven't figured out yet.

Comment

The newer 1% take their behavior to even greater extremes:

http://nypost.com/2016/05/13/clinton...-bills-friend/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/13...sly-known.html

Maybe Bill and Hill can get adjoining jail cells.

Comment

Working...
                        X