Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blockchain update

ETHEREUM - (aka. Bitcoin 2.0) Up 3100% in ~7 months
    So, I made a small investment in Ethereum ( https://ethereum.org/) back in July 2015 and am up 31x (that's 3100%) as of today!

The ICO (Initial Coin Offering - that's cryptocurrency speak for non SEC approved IPO) was an average of 35 cents per ETH (ETH=Ether - unit name of coin). Today it's at about $11.50/ETH for a rise from $18 Million USD (final ICO day crowdfunding total) to $1 Billion just last week. Out of 700+ Crypto Currencies, Ethereum is now #2 ($900 Million market cap) with Bitcoin for now, still holding #1 spot at $6.5 Billion.
    citation: http://coinmarketcap.com/

Barring any major issues with Ethereum (exited beta mode (aka. "Frontier") 4 weeks ago into production ver 1.0 (aka "Homestead"), I can see Ethereum creeping up to Bitcoin over the next 3+ years and possibly even surpassing it. Note that as of right now Ethereum has a prox 5 times more coins than Bitcoin (78 Million mined vs 15.3 Million mined in Bitcoin), so $11.50/ETH is really more like $57.5 if we are to compare it directly to bitcoin's $420 USD/BTC right now. But, if I am correct, this still implies a ~700% increase for ETH if I am correct, or even if it only goes up to equal 50% of Bitcoin's market cap, it's still 350% in 3 years. Of course this kind of increase in any asset class is not without risk, and in the case of crypto currencies it is crazy amounts of risk.

So what's next for Ethereum? Well you can watch (Vitalik Buterin's) the 21 year old's lead developer roadmap update on youtube (~30 mins) or slide-deck. In case you are wondering, this 21 year old genius is backed up by a small army of PHds crypto researchers and a couple hundred software developers world wide.

What's not mentioned in Vitalik's roadmap is the upcoming explosion of "DAO" investments for "DAPPS" on top of Ethereum. DAO = Decentralized Autonomous Organization. DAPP = Decentralized Application (i.e. think of an app on your Ipad that doesn't rely on any specific server, because the server is really thousands of servers globally that support the blockchain - in other words, once the App exists, it cannot be taken down). I'm not going to try to explain what a DAO is, other than briefly because my understanding is limited and there's online resources for that; however, I think it is critical to understand what this means from an investment perspective. Thanks to the concept of "Smart Contracts" that can be programmed on top of the decentralized and immutable (thanks to encryption) blockchain, it is possible to create a contract and have it execute automatically for eternity (so long as Ethereum survives) without any middle man.

In plain English this means that in theory, we no longer need notaries (you can register your marriage on the blockchain - technically, not necessarily legally yet), certain functions that lawyers perform (verification that contractual clauses were accurately exercised), financial auditors (the blockchain provides an immutable fully transparent audit trail that can be verified in seconds with the right tools), escrow agents (the concept of Multi-Signatures to execute certain functions/release funds between 2 or more untrusted 3rd parties means no more escrow services required), and a whole whack of other middle men across many sectors. Let me put it simply: This will translate to MASSIVE DISRUPTION that most can't even imagine yet. But don't take my word for it, read Goldman Sach's own mini report , titled: "What if I told you blockchain ... could disrupt... everything?" - Goldman Sachs.

Last week we witnessed the first DAO crowdsale. It was one called "DigixDAO". Simply, it was a group of 4 guys that created a DAO that links physical gold to virtual tokens. Individuals can purchase virtual tokens (that can't be copied thanks to blockchain technology) and thus by proxy own physical gold and trade said DAO tokens to others for X (crypto)currency. Investors in the DAO weren't buying the gold tokens, but rather are guaranteed transaction fees (dividends) associated with any time a Digix gold-backed token is traded. But to the point... they raised $5.5 Million from thousands of people in 14 hours, and it stopped at $5.5 Million because that was a self-imposed cap. This was the first time that a physical gold backed crypto currency was created. I didn't invest in this for a number of reasons, but the point is get ready for a bubble in "DAO" crowdsales.

Here's one I will be investing in that has not yet started the crowdsale: https://slock.it
    Video: 3 mins

For a number of reasons I won't get into here, I fully expect this DAO to raise $50 Million and wouldn't be surprised if it overshoots to $100 Million. Regardless of the final number, this will be a single DAO that will have raised many more times the amount that the platform it depends on (Ethereum) managed to raise ($18 Million).

Another I am watching but may not invest due to a likely fraudulent founder, is Arcade City DAO - A DAO that aims to disrupt the $60 Billion dollar Uber... whom disrupted taxi companies world wide. Here's the 5 minute pitch on Arcade City:

Sounds tempting to invest in right? Until you research the founder and learn he has a history of defrauding individuals... (give it a few seconds to load the page).

As I said above, DAO crypto investment bubble is about to take off like the bitcoin "alt" clones we saw in 2013, except this time around it isn't as easy as cloning, they'll have to come up with an inciting unique DAO which requires skills at different levels, but that isn't going to stop sophisticated scammers.

Oh and as for Bitcoin, that ancient 2009 technology , it's currently undergoing a crisis in scalability (can't process more than 7 transactions per second - arguable as low as 3.5/s) and ultimately roadmap, so the price has been stuck between $390 and $420 for the past many weeks. There's a whole nerd-war going on about Bitcoin's troubles. In short, Gavin Andresen the lead developer for Bitcoin who lead bitcoin for 4 years after the anonymous founder Satoshi Nakamoto walked away from Bitcoin and handed over the keys to Gavin after he did a presentation on Bitcoin to the CIA. In 2014 or so Gavin himself handed over the keys to some very experienced core developer guys, most of which (like 9 out of 11) have since joined a company called "Blockstream", which was recently funded by Fintech (youtube) / Price Water House Cooper and depending on your perspective, they are essentially changing the philosophical design of bitcoin such that scalability happens off-chain for a fee that Blockstream will of course be collecting for most transactions. Banksters will Bank / play rent seekers, I suppose.

In other words, some are saying they are trying to hi-jack bitcoin for long-term profit. You can spend 200 hours reading up on the whole debate, but it comes down to this: If the core developers manage to deliver on a scalability solution quickly AND *if* the bitcoin miners decide to proceed with their version of the software, bitcoin will survive mostly intact and carry on, but with a slightly different philosophy (no longer extremely low transfer fees for all transactions). Alternatively, the bitcoin miners may decide that an alternative solution now backed by Gavin Andresen - who decided to return to Bitcoin to hopefully rescue it from the deranged core developers he had handed the keys to the kingdom to, is better as it retains Satoshi Nakamoto's original philosophies intact. If so, then Bitcoin may hardfork to a new version called "Classic", and carry on mostly intact, but with the power of roadmap/design back in Gavin's and several other's hands and Blockstream and its $76+ Million in funding will be history. Where Bitcoin could implode is if neither side wins and Bitcoin gets bogged down with excessive queued transactions for too long a period and people lose confidence in Bitcoin and the price crashes. This isn't theory, it's already happened a couple of times, but probably not for a long enough period to do serious damage. At any rate, if Bitcoin crash, I fully expect Bitcoin enthusiasts to start migrating to Ethereum, something that has already happened on a small scale, but could accelerate.

That said, 2016 is also Bitcoin's "Halvening" event year. This means that instead of a miner getting 25 bitcoins every 10 minutes for solving a crypto SHA-256 puzzle, they will only get 12.5 Bitcoins. In other words, the supply is being cut in half. This happens every 4 years (give or take a couple of months). The last time this happened (Dec 2012), the price exploded from $10 to $260 in a matter of months. This time around, the price may go higher again, but only of the scalability issues get resolved, otherwise, the "halvening" event may actually coincide with the price of bitcoin being cut in half ;-)

And if you're still wondering who the heck is Satoshi Nakamoto, then get ready for ... In Dec 2015/Jan 2016 Craig Wright was discovered and announced by Wired to be Satoshi Nakamoto, "ironically coinciding" on the same day that the Australian Taxation Office (IRS equivalent) decided to send the police to break into his house to arrest him, only he had left for London weeks earlier. Turns out later that the documents that Wired had as sources to his identity weren't really fool proof and text analysis of his writings confirmed he was not Satoshi after all and that he simply created an elaborate Hoax to escape Australian Tax Office... unless of course, he really is Satoshi. You see Craig Wright's going ot have a big reveal in the next week or two, and perhaps is planning to come back to smack those new bitcoin core developers into some sense for partnering with Fintech Banksters.

Ahhh Crypto Currencies... never a dull moment!

Cheers,
    Adeptus
    Last edited by Adeptus; April 03, 2016, 11:53 AM.
    Warning: Network Engineer talking economics!

Re: Blockchain update

as ai evolves it could be incorporated into those self-executing contracts. turn the self-executing contracts into llc's or corps and you get autonomous agents. so corporations will be people after all.

Comment

Chairwoman of IBM comments:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-bloc...ife-1478564751

Comment

Originally posted by Adeptus View Post
        ETHEREUM - (aka. Bitcoin 2.0) Up 3100% in ~7 months
        So, I made a small investment in Ethereum ( https://ethereum.org/) back in July 2015 and am up 31x (that's 3100%) as of today!

The ICO (Initial Coin Offering - that's cryptocurrency speak for non SEC approved IPO) was an average of 35 cents per ETH (ETH=Ether - unit name of coin). Today it's at about $11.50/ETH for a rise from $18 Million USD (final ICO day crowdfunding total) to $1 Billion just last week. Out of 700+ Crypto Currencies, Ethereum is now #2 ($900 Million market cap) with Bitcoin for now, still holding #1 spot at $6.5 Billion.
        citation: http://coinmarketcap.com/

Barring any major issues with Ethereum (exited beta mode (aka. "Frontier") 4 weeks ago into production ver 1.0 (aka "Homestead"), I can see Ethereum creeping up to Bitcoin over the next 3+ years and possibly even surpassing it. Note that as of right now Ethereum has a prox 5 times more coins than Bitcoin (78 Million mined vs 15.3 Million mined in Bitcoin), so $11.50/ETH is really more like $57.5 if we are to compare it directly to bitcoin's $420 USD/BTC right now. But, if I am correct, this still implies a ~700% increase for ETH if I am correct, or even if it only goes up to equal 50% of Bitcoin's market cap, it's still 350% in 3 years. Of course this kind of increase in any asset class is not without risk, and in the case of crypto currencies it is crazy amounts of risk.

So what's next for Ethereum? Well you can watch (Vitalik Buterin's) the 21 year old's lead developer roadmap update on youtube (~30 mins) or slide-deck. In case you are wondering, this 21 year old genius is backed up by a small army of PHds crypto researchers and a couple hundred software developers world wide.

What's not mentioned in Vitalik's roadmap is the upcoming explosion of "DAO" investments for "DAPPS" on top of Ethereum. DAO = Decentralized Autonomous Organization. DAPP = Decentralized Application (i.e. think of an app on your Ipad that doesn't rely on any specific server, because the server is really thousands of servers globally that support the blockchain - in other words, once the App exists, it cannot be taken down). I'm not going to try to explain what a DAO is, other than briefly because my understanding is limited and there's online resources for that; however, I think it is critical to understand what this means from an investment perspective. Thanks to the concept of "Smart Contracts" that can be programmed on top of the decentralized and immutable (thanks to encryption) blockchain, it is possible to create a contract and have it execute automatically for eternity (so long as Ethereum survives) without any middle man.

In plain English this means that in theory, we no longer need notaries (you can register your marriage on the blockchain - technically, not necessarily legally yet), certain functions that lawyers perform (verification that contractual clauses were accurately exercised), financial auditors (the blockchain provides an immutable fully transparent audit trail that can be verified in seconds with the right tools), escrow agents (the concept of Multi-Signatures to execute certain functions/release funds between 2 or more untrusted 3rd parties means no more escrow services required), and a whole whack of other middle men across many sectors. Let me put it simply: This will translate to MASSIVE DISRUPTION that most can't even imagine yet. But don't take my word for it, read Goldman Sach's own mini report , titled: "What if I told you blockchain ... could disrupt... everything?" - Goldman Sachs.

Last week we witnessed the first DAO crowdsale. It was one called "DigixDAO". Simply, it was a group of 4 guys that created a DAO that links physical gold to virtual tokens. Individuals can purchase virtual tokens (that can't be copied thanks to blockchain technology) and thus by proxy own physical gold and trade said DAO tokens to others for X (crypto)currency. Investors in the DAO weren't buying the gold tokens, but rather are guaranteed transaction fees (dividends) associated with any time a Digix gold-backed token is traded. But to the point... they raised $5.5 Million from thousands of people in 14 hours, and it stopped at $5.5 Million because that was a self-imposed cap. This was the first time that a physical gold backed crypto currency was created. I didn't invest in this for a number of reasons, but the point is get ready for a bubble in "DAO" crowdsales.

Here's one I will be investing in that has not yet started the crowdsale: https://slock.it
        Video: 3 mins

For a number of reasons I won't get into here, I fully expect this DAO to raise $50 Million and wouldn't be surprised if it overshoots to $100 Million. Regardless of the final number, this will be a single DAO that will have raised many more times the amount that the platform it depends on (Ethereum) managed to raise ($18 Million).

Another I am watching but may not invest due to a likely fraudulent founder, is Arcade City DAO - A DAO that aims to disrupt the $60 Billion dollar Uber... whom disrupted taxi companies world wide. Here's the 5 minute pitch on Arcade City:

Sounds tempting to invest in right? Until you research the founder and learn he has a history of defrauding individuals... (give it a few seconds to load the page).

As I said above, DAO crypto investment bubble is about to take off like the bitcoin "alt" clones we saw in 2013, except this time around it isn't as easy as cloning, they'll have to come up with an inciting unique DAO which requires skills at different levels, but that isn't going to stop sophisticated scammers.

Oh and as for Bitcoin, that ancient 2009 technology , it's currently undergoing a crisis in scalability (can't process more than 7 transactions per second - arguable as low as 3.5/s) and ultimately roadmap, so the price has been stuck between $390 and $420 for the past many weeks. There's a whole nerd-war going on about Bitcoin's troubles. In short, Gavin Andresen the lead developer for Bitcoin who lead bitcoin for 4 years after the anonymous founder Satoshi Nakamoto walked away from Bitcoin and handed over the keys to Gavin after he did a presentation on Bitcoin to the CIA. In 2014 or so Gavin himself handed over the keys to some very experienced core developer guys, most of which (like 9 out of 11) have since joined a company called "Blockstream", which was recently funded by Fintech (youtube) / Price Water House Cooper and depending on your perspective, they are essentially changing the philosophical design of bitcoin such that scalability happens off-chain for a fee that Blockstream will of course be collecting for most transactions. Banksters will Bank / play rent seekers, I suppose.

In other words, some are saying they are trying to hi-jack bitcoin for long-term profit. You can spend 200 hours reading up on the whole debate, but it comes down to this: If the core developers manage to deliver on a scalability solution quickly AND *if* the bitcoin miners decide to proceed with their version of the software, bitcoin will survive mostly intact and carry on, but with a slightly different philosophy (no longer extremely low transfer fees for all transactions). Alternatively, the bitcoin miners may decide that an alternative solution now backed by Gavin Andresen - who decided to return to Bitcoin to hopefully rescue it from the deranged core developers he had handed the keys to the kingdom to, is better as it retains Satoshi Nakamoto's original philosophies intact. If so, then Bitcoin may hardfork to a new version called "Classic", and carry on mostly intact, but with the power of roadmap/design back in Gavin's and several other's hands and Blockstream and its $76+ Million in funding will be history. Where Bitcoin could implode is if neither side wins and Bitcoin gets bogged down with excessive queued transactions for too long a period and people lose confidence in Bitcoin and the price crashes. This isn't theory, it's already happened a couple of times, but probably not for a long enough period to do serious damage. At any rate, if Bitcoin crash, I fully expect Bitcoin enthusiasts to start migrating to Ethereum, something that has already happened on a small scale, but could accelerate.

That said, 2016 is also Bitcoin's "Halvening" event year. This means that instead of a miner getting 25 bitcoins every 10 minutes for solving a crypto SHA-256 puzzle, they will only get 12.5 Bitcoins. In other words, the supply is being cut in half. This happens every 4 years (give or take a couple of months). The last time this happened (Dec 2012), the price exploded from $10 to $260 in a matter of months. This time around, the price may go higher again, but only of the scalability issues get resolved, otherwise, the "halvening" event may actually coincide with the price of bitcoin being cut in half ;-)

And if you're still wondering who the heck is Satoshi Nakamoto, then get ready for ... In Dec 2015/Jan 2016 Craig Wright was discovered and announced by Wired to be Satoshi Nakamoto, "ironically coinciding" on the same day that the Australian Taxation Office (IRS equivalent) decided to send the police to break into his house to arrest him, only he had left for London weeks earlier. Turns out later that the documents that Wired had as sources to his identity weren't really fool proof and text analysis of his writings confirmed he was not Satoshi after all and that he simply created an elaborate Hoax to escape Australian Tax Office... unless of course, he really is Satoshi. You see Craig Wright's going ot have a big reveal in the next week or two, and perhaps is planning to come back to smack those new bitcoin core developers into some sense for partnering with Fintech Banksters.

Ahhh Crypto Currencies... never a dull moment!

Cheers,
        Adeptus
        I've got a classmate who is a blockchain guru and CIO of a major regional bank.

We were supposed to meet up on Thursday but got postponed. I have asked his opinion on Ethereum. Sounds interesting.

And I agree, blockchain will disrupt contracts even more than Uber has disrupted the taxi industry.

Comment

Originally posted by lakedaemonian View Post
          I've got a classmate who is a blockchain guru and CIO of a major regional bank.
          We were supposed to meet up on Thursday but got postponed. I have asked his opinion on Ethereum. Sounds interesting.
          And I agree, blockchain will disrupt contracts even more than Uber has disrupted the taxi industry.
          All the big banks R&D departments are now developing on Ethereum; which of course they just call "blockchain". The reason for this is that it is far more flexible in what can be coded on it, and much faster to develop in it. A rough comparison is like programming in BASIC (but using only hexidecimal codes) vs C++ with full Visual Studio platform available. That's the coding comparison of Bitcoin vs Ethereum. But the Ethereum they are using isn't the public decentralized Ethereum. In nearly all cases, they have made copies of Ethereum (it's free open source software after all), and run it over private networks with only X entities allowed to access with 'permissions'. In other words, they are using it to test settling accounts and contracts between trusted (and eventually untrusted) financial institutions.

Ethereum has had a number of setbacks, since I wrote that post. I don't have the time to list them all, but in short, that slcok.it DAO investment opportunity bloated to $150 Million USD, then 'blew up' right after a hacker attacked it and tried to walk off with $50+ Million, but then later a crack team of Ethereum coders (aka. white hackers) fought back, 'stole' the remaining funds and later gave them back to the original investors. In fact the original investors got even more back than the initial investment after Ethereum split into 2 (hard fork). I could go on and on. The only thing more exciting than Ethereum right now is the US elections, that will be over by tomorrow Beyond that huge hack, Ethereum has suffered several other more minor but very annoying hacks that have slowed down the whole network. The Core developers have re-engineered Ethereum each time to fix those 'bugs/loopholes' and made the whole network that much stronger. As a result of all this the price peaked at $25, but is back to around $10-$11. So not too late to get in. I really do think at some point either Bitcoin will lose its leader advantage due to poor scalability and/or Ethereum will simply out-engineer Bitcoin where it won't even be able to ever catch up.

Comment

All the big banks R&D departments are now developing on Ethereum; which of course they just call "blockchain". The reason for this is that it is far more flexible in what can be coded on it, and much faster to develop in it. A rough comparison is like programming in BASIC (but using only hexidecimal codes) vs C++ with full Visual Studio platform available. That's the coding comparison of Bitcoin vs Ethereum. But the Ethereum they are using isn't the public decentralized Ethereum. In nearly all cases, they have made copies of Ethereum (it's free open source software after all), and run it over private networks with only X entities allowed to access with 'permissions'. In other words, they are using it to test settling accounts and contracts between trusted (and eventually untrusted) financial institutions.

Ethereum has had a number of setbacks, since I wrote that post. I don't have the time to list them all, but in short, that slcok.it DAO investment opportunity bloated to $150 Million USD, then 'blew up' right after a hacker attacked it and tried to walk off with $50+ Million, but then later a crack team of Ethereum coders (aka. white hackers) fought back, 'stole' the remaining funds and later gave them back to the original investors. In fact the original investors got even more back than the initial investment after Ethereum split into 2 (hard fork). I could go on and on. The only thing more exciting than Ethereum right now is the US elections, that will be over by tomorrow Beyond that huge hack, Ethereum has suffered several other more minor but very annoying hacks that have slowed down the whole network. The Core developers have re-engineered Ethereum each time to fix those 'bugs/loopholes' and made the whole network that much stronger. As a result of all this the price peaked at $25, but is back to around $10-$11. So not too late to get in. I really do think at some point either Bitcoin will lose its leader advantage due to poor scalability and/or Ethereum will simply out-engineer Bitcoin where it won't even be able to ever catch up.

Cheers for that.

My big shot mate at the big bank calls Ethereum "the most egalitarian" that he has observed to date.

I like the sound of that.

I will be monitoring it, but I'm pretty slow with making big decisions(based on "buy and leave indefinitely").

Maybe worth updating on Ethereum as news develops?

Blockchain will surely have a couple of standout performers in the next 5 years.

Comment

Since november 2016 ethereum has risen to $345.
              I hope by now Adeptus is a UHNWI
              Some update of the whole blochain business would be welcome.
              Some years ago I invested some "gamble money" as EJ called it in BTC.
              By now it paid handsomely. Now I have come (with the profits from BTC) into XRP. I have read a bit on the matter and it seems that some big banks are working on that platform (including BAC and a lot of Japanese banks). As per what I read the only advantage bitcoin has is that of being the first blockchain to become known worldwide. They say that it still can't process more than 7 transactions per second. Think resuming this debate would be very interesting.
              Last edited by Southernguy; June 20, 2017, 03:22 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Comment

Happy to start a new thread on it. BTC was my next major investment creaming off some of my gold profits. You can search the forum for my thread. It's now the bulk of my net worth. I never bought any ETH though, arguably a missed opportunity, but I never felt entirely comfortable understanding its technology. BTC I understood.

The 7tps limit will be fixed, hopefully in November. If not, the BCH fork exists to pick up the slack.
                It's Economics vs Thermodynamics. Thermodynamics wins.

Comment

Well people... Procrastination (not selling my Ethereum too early) finally paid off in my life. I am now one of 10,000+ Crypto millionaires (on paper..er.. on bits) - probably more than 30,000 by now. I held my very small investment in Ethereum until recently where I sold half of it off and bought the next big thing... Tezos. Tezos promises to fix some of the issues of Ethereum (blockchain 2.0). It will fix governance - the reason bitcoin recently split and may split again in November. It will also fix the vast majority of crypto hacks related to badly written software code. If you follow crypto you probably heard of the Ethereum DAO (Decentralized Autonomous Organization) - the first smart contract that raised an astonishing $150 Million USD and on the very day it was launched, it was hacked - I nearly lost all my money on that one. I also nearly lost all my money on Mt. Gox and various other crypto related schemes... but I've made it... that is, if I don't lose it all by some other means. Anyway, Tezos aims to provide "formal verification" of programmed smart contracts. In English that means that 'smart contracts' (the next big thing in crytpto land) will have bugs removed by a massive margin before they go live, thus providing a stable and trustworthy platform upon which companies can create smart contracts that are not at risk of being hacked. Tezos ICO (think IPO but crypto-land version) already finished. In 2 weeks it raised $230 Million USD, which has since gone up because Bitcoin has gone up in value (they raised part of their funds in Bitcoin). The Tezos platform itself however has not yet launched. It is expected to be launched in 2-6 months. The CTO of Tezos stated recently in a passing comment that the platform may launch in 2 months so that puts it at around mid to end of Oct, but don't hold your breath, it may take longer.

Tezos.ch
                  Tezos.com
                  https://www.tezos.com/static/papers/Tezos_Overview.pdf <- Read this!
                  https://www.tezos.com/static/papers/white_paper.pdf - semi technical academic document on Tezos.

The Tezos ICO resulted in the average price of a Tezzie (horrible name) coin to be worth around 35 cents each. My expectation is that this will triple if not go up by 500% within a couple of months of the platform being launched. Then if you are able to hold on to your pants and crypto wallet, I fully expect this thing to explode much higher over the next 2 years, not unlike Ethereum.

The only crypto crowdsale to beat Tezos was EOS (it doesn't stand for anything but some people joke it stands for "Ethereum On Steroids". This baby is currently in ICO phase, already raised over $300M and still has another 200+ days of fund raising to do. This will result in the first crypto to raise 1/2 billion to 1 Billion dollars. Why? Because the CTO for that is a guy that's been into Blockchains since near inception (2009), has successfully launched 2 blockchains already - Steemit.com (think medium.com but decentralized and with payment incentives for blog writers and commentators) and Bitshares, a very advanced (for its time) platform to handle decentralized derivative transactions. Don't invest in those 2 projects btw, they are old news, and prices will not go up significantly if at all. That said, you may want to keep an eye on EOS. It promises to be the first blockchain to enable 100's of thousand to millions of transactions per second. This is not some outlandish claim, this guy has done the math and already proven the case in part with Steemit, EOS takes it to the next level. Then he promises to fix things like people losing their private keys and losing all their crypto currencies, promises to make smart contracts editable under certain circumstances so that hacks by malicious entities can be undone, etc. It is a very ambitious project, but in my view doable considering the CTO's proven skills. That said, it is likely an oversubscribed ICO and so you may not see it go 100x nearly as fast as some other crypto currencies, but if you've got a 5-7 year time horizon, it may be possible.

Websites: EOS.io also eosprice.io and eosscan.io (last 2 = info on ICO pricing fund raising)

Those are my 2 top pics... other than that, I've also recently made an investment in Atlant.io - one of 10+ real estate crypto projects that recently launched. Unique to this project is the promise that it aims to kill AirBnB. That is, AirBnB takes a cut from every property rental. Atlant promises to take a much smaller fraction of the cut an distribute the profits to its token holders. The other thing it intends to do is 'tokenize real estate'. That is, allow a bunch of unrelated people half way around the world, who never met each other to trustlessly (dont need to trust each other) are able to crowdfund (via atlant tokens) the purchase of X real estate property. Beyond this, the real moonshot of Crypto in Real Estate is to get rid of all the low value/high cost middle men - that is Realtors (Zillow is already doing this in part), Lawyers (think smart contracts), Banks (who needs banks if you have bitcoins and they are always going up in value, also you can crowdfund your own investments now), title registries - Blockchains are the ultimate immutable title registries. This will revolutionize property registry in 3rd world countries. No longer can dictators rip up your land titles, they will be written on immutable ledgers and distributed all around the world. Of all the real estate projects (so far) this is the one I'm most excited about. It is very under reported, it struggled to raise $1M in pre-sale, but the ICO has not yet started. I expect it to raise between $5M and $15M in ICO phase I think in Sept. To buy it you will need Ethereum or Bitcoin, you will also need a wallet that support Ethereum ERC20 tokens.

Good luck everyone!

Adeptus - the crypto millionaire that risks not cashing out due to excessive greed and risks losing everything for just another 10x return :P

PS. Just for fun, at the time of this writing:
                  Ethereum $300 - 50% of my holdings at the moment, I will continue to divest from Ethereum over the next year into higher alpha opportunities. One of them may be EOS, if the price drops below 50 cents for the ICO.
                  Bitcoin $4300 - 5% of my holdings
                  Bitcoin Cash $600 - 0.5% of my holdings
                  Tezos $0.35 - 35% of my holdings
                  Atlant.io (price info not available yet) - 8.5% of my holdings
                  Plutons - $10.5 - 1% of my holdings. I have to review this investment. TenX token may be a Pluton Killer, I may have to sell mine, not sure yet what I'll do. I did make 10x on it though.

I may also get into Monero at some time, I think both the dark markets and some businesses may eventually realize that having their transactions out in the open for all to see is not a good thing, or even allowed by regulators. Monero = #1 in privacy. Zcash is #2, everything else do not trust. I've investigated them all, they have significant flaws in privacy design at the moment. For now banks and businesses who want to keep their transactions private are having to resort to private blockchains like IBM's HyperLedger and Ripple, but these are kind of like the intrAnet of corporations. Not very exciting. The true value will be when enterprises and banks can make private public transactions on a global scale (IntErnet) trustlessly, not just through select private partnerships which take time, money, auditors and regulators.

Lastly, I don't trust XRP. FYI, Ripple Labs owns something like 85% of all XRP tokens. That is the opposite of decentralization, even if they promised to freeze their funds for a while. Further, Banks (and very big banks) are indeed making huge partnerships with Ripple Labs all around the world. In Fact even Central banks are starting talks with Ripple Labs...BUT don't confuse the Ripple Labs blockchain-like technology with the XRP token. The XRP tokens are traded and moved publicly. Banks will never place their assets openly on public blockchains, therefore XRP tokens will not be used in 98% of bank use cases. Many people did not seem to understand this and the price of XRP exploded as people thought that banks were going to buy XRP tokens.

Oh and IOTA... i totally missed the boat on that one. It's already up 10,000% so I'm hesitant to invest in it, but it may still go up from here. It is supposed to be the IOT (Internet of Things) token network (not a blockchain) that allows machine to machine transactions. Arguably Ethereum could also do that if it could scale massively (think 100's of thousands of transactions/sec). IOTA doesn't yet have smart contracts and its proving to be a challenge. Further, they have not yet had advanced security attack vectors analyzed. The platform is still in alpha phase and very clunky. Things should improve though, their team is top notch.

PPS. If you think the crypto bubble will soon pop, you may be right; however, there will be MANY other bubbles to come, so buy low, sell high (duh). Why? Because this stuff is nearly unstoppable. SEC, FINRA, IRS, etc are starting to regulate it, but there's 208 other countries out there that they have no jurisdiction over. Further, think about it... the .COM bubble was $2T to $4T in size. The total sum of ALL crypto markets right now is about $130 Billion. The .COM bubble was nearly 20 years ago (so adjust for inflation). Further the .COM bubble was a Nasdaq phenomenon limited to only very few countries that could invest in the Nasdaq. Crypto is on a GLOBAL Scale... nearly unstoppable and the promise of riches (and scams) is MUCH MUCH higher. I can see this thing going to $5 Trillion or even $10 Trillion. We will eventually have a Trillion dollar token. Will it be Bitcoin? Ethereum? Or some new one that hasn't even started operating yet? Ignore this sector at your own financial risk... but huge piece of advice, do NOT, under any circumstance invest more than you can afford to lose. All my crypto can go to zero tomorrow and I will be sad, but I still have my fiat, stocks, gold etc to depend on. I will start cashing out of Crypto in 2018 as well though, I know i'm already pushing my luck way too far. Good luck!

Originally posted by *T* View Post
                  Happy to start a new thread on it. BTC was my next major investment creaming off some of my gold profits. You can search the forum for my thread. It's now the bulk of my net worth. I never bought any ETH though, arguably a missed opportunity, but I never felt entirely comfortable understanding its technology. BTC I understood.

The 7tps limit will be fixed, hopefully in November. If not, the BCH fork exists to pick up the slack.
                  Last edited by Adeptus; August 18, 2017, 05:31 PM.

Comment

@Southernguy no I am not a Ultra High Networth Individual (yet), but this is now becoming plausible for me within 5 years at the rate crypto is exploding in price. I could also lose it all, I'm ready for the latter, not sure wtf I will do with 10's of millions of dollars, but will be a good problem to have.

Alright, I wanted to make one more post, for those who are just getting started in Crypto. I am actually working on a 100+page long powerpoint presentation on Crypto, but that wont be ready until end of Sept. I may post it here, but don't wait around. Start learning, this is the biggest thing since the Internet and whilst it's been here for 9 years, it has not yet gone mainstream and wont for another 3-5 years. The technology is still too clunky, the risks are immense, the ultimate crypto token has not yet been invented, even Tezos and Ethereum are likely not to be "it". EOS has a small chance, but already there's many critics of it though it hasn't launched. Mostly around the DPoS (Delegated Proof of Stake) and considerations that it may prove to be too much centralization - remains to be seen.

In this post, I just wanted to quickly offer some personal opinions on the top cryptos out there. I've been reading about crypto now since 2012. Very extensively (like daily) since 2013. I have made mistakes and have been wrong before, but what I'm going to share is probably better info than not having any or limited understanding.

https://coinmarketcap.com <-- Go to this site to see the Market Cap of all the crypto blockchains out there. Another alternative to this site is https://coincap.io, possibly better as it provides more real time pricing.

1. Bitcoin - $4,196/BTC - $69Billion - This is the original blockchain. It has a MASSIVE network effect with $69 Billion valuation at present, and a strong but declining "crypto dominance". Bitcoin currently accounts for 48.7% of the value of all blockchains. Bitcoin has taken the past 2 years to complete a software upgrade to improve scalability that should have only taken a few months. There is a lot of infighting amongst Bitcoin developers, it's basically a nerd war, and IMHO the nerds currently in charge of the software development are holding the coin hostage from enabling new features that benefit all. This is why my holding in Bitcoin is relatively small, despite the massive price rise recently. The price rise was because the contentious software upgrade finally happened and it went smoothly, but mark my word, it won't be too long before new scaling issues occur and then other alternatives will be better.

2. Ethereum - $298/ETH - $28 Billion market cap -
                    If I learned anything about how Microsoft came to dominate software world it was because of the saying "Developers! Developers! Developers!" And Ethereum has by far (even more than Bitcoin) developers. I would not be surprised if within 2 years or less Ethereum overtakes Bitcoin (or any of its clones) in terms of market cap. But can it hold the #1 spot? It's doubtful. Ethereum suffers from a lack of scalability as well. Already its blockchain is approaching 250G in size (4x more than Bitcoin) and its set to only explode higher. Specifically it can do about 7 transactions per second, a tiny amount when compared to Visa (20,000) or Facebook (50,000 for likes alone, nevermind posts and other activities), or Nasdaq, etc. You cannot be the long term #1 blockchain if you can't scale. Ethereum has plans for this, but I doubt they will be sufficient long term. One is the recently announced Plasma.io approach. Another is Sharding (still in development, ETA 2 years), another is migration from PoW (Proof of Work) to PoS (proof of stake), this may start next year but may also take 1-2 years to fully implement, then there's the Raiden network (equivalent to Bitcoin's promised Lightening network), neither of which has yet been deployed. Ethereum does have immense brainpower at its helm and so I have no doubts some or all of these scaling solutions will be implemented, but will they be enough? Will they contend with Dan Lamir's dPoS EOS millions of tx's per second? Or IOTA's non-blockchain tangle approach? Hard to predict. No matter what, this will remain a top 10 cryptocurrency for at least 3-5+ years.

3. Bitcoin Cash $605/BCH - $9.9Billion cap -
                    and rising. This is a brand new crypto since Aug 1, 2017. As you can tell by the name, it is a "fork" (a split off) of Bitcoin. What happened? As explained above, nerd-wars. One faction wasn't happy that Bitcoin still had 1 MegaByte blocks and was suffering from slow and high fee transactions and that its solution to solve this "Segregated Witness - Segwit" wasn't going to cut it. The alt-faction thought Segwit was crap and the right approach was to increase the size of the blocks from 1 to 8 MBytes. Ethereum by the way, has dynamic block sizes. Blocks are where transactions are stored. If a block is full, a transaction has to either wait until the next block or the sender has to increase the transaction fee it is willing to pay to prioritize its transaction. I think this coin is here to stay. Will it overtake Bitcoin? I dont know, there's some chance. The Bitcoin developers are some of the best developers around, but they also suffer from nerd mentality and dont really care abouts its users - a deadly mistake. They are perfectionists, only wanting to release solutions that have been tested to death and are super optimized - this takes too much time and others who take more risk will eclipse it eventually. I think Bitcoin may got he way of Altavista. The Google or Microsoft of blockchain doesn't yet exist, that title is still up for grabs. Also note, in Nov 2017, there may be yet another Bitcoin split. Not sure what the new coin will be called but it will contain SegWit technology + 2 MB blocks. So BTC = 1MB Blocks w/ Segwit, BCH = 8MB blocks no Segwit, ??? = 2MB blocks + Segwit.

4. Ripple $0.16/XRP - $6Billion cap - This token is the anti-thesis of blockchains. It's not even quite a blockchain. It's ownership is centralized and ultimately it's a token targetted at the banks of the world. I made other comments on it above. I will not invest in this on philosophical reasons alone, but also I think it's a partial scam in that Ripple Labs in not clarifying perfectly the role of XRP tokens are by extension fooling the markets. This coin has already crashed 60% in value.

5. IOTA - $0.87/MIOTA - $2.4 Billion Cap - Please see my comments in the previous post. Also "$0.87" is not the price for 1 IOTA, but rather for 1 MIOTA, where M = Million.

6. Litecoin - $45.62/LTC - $2.4 Billion Cap - Litecoin was a "fork" of Bitcoin with a few parameters changed. A new hashing algoryth, 4 times more coins (74 Million instead of Bitcoin's 21 million) and 2.5 Minute block confirmation times instead of Bitcoin's 10 Minute. This coin was one of the first 10 forks from Bitcoin, thus it has value because of being around a long time. it's stable, it has a dev team, but mostly they just copy whatever Bitcoin does. This is not a coin with an innovative roadmap. I hold zero Litecoins. It recently went up from $3 to $50 because there was fear that the Aug 1 Bitcoin software update would not go smoothly.

7. NEM - $0.24, $2.2 Billion cap - I have not spent much time investigating this coin so I have no opinions on it. Read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEM_(cryptocurrency)

8. NEO - $35.46, $1.7 Billion cap - This was advertised as the Chinese Ethereum. So it exploded in price recently from $1 to $45. I missed the boat on this one, but I will not invest in it. The Devs are Chinese, there's supposedly only 2 of them, they do not communicate much and there's been some very recent analysis that confirms that this blockchain isn't decentralized at all (at the moment). So it breaks one of the sacred rules of blockchains. Quite simply, I don't trust it.

9. Dash - $229, $1.7 Billion cap - This value of this coin was nothing short of marketing genius (as far as Crypto marketing geniuses go). They hired for a while a woman named Amanda who does a lot of very informative videos on Youtube (I strongly recommend her videos for newcomers - just ignore her comments on Dash)... they hired Amanda for many months to talk about Dash. As a result this coin exploded in price. The main feature is it claims to provide master nodes that provide incentives for people who run them (they have a full copy of the blockchain) to get paid for doing this as it aids decentralization (this is true), but also that it's a good privacy coin - this part is false and various Cryptographers in the cryptospace have pointed out its various flaws, but surprisingly the coin continues to have a high value. I don't think this is a good coin for this one reason.

10. Ethereum Classic - $13.94/ETC - $1.32 Billion cap - This is a fork of Ethereum due to the DAO hack (explained in my previous post). Long story short, somebody hacked a contract in Ethereum (not Ethereum itself). Some "good" hackers hacked the bad hacker's hack, but the hacker still managed to make off with $34M USD of thousands of people's money... which now is worth more like $1 Billion dollars. As a result of this, some Ethereum developers decided to alter the Ethereum blockchain to negate the hackers coins and have them 100% return to their investors. This pissed off a small (10-15%) minority of Ethereum fans who felt that "blockchain immutability" (inability for anyone to alter transactions) was sacro-sanct and nobody should change this, even if a hacker made off with 15% of all the tokens (at the time). So Ethereum Classic was born, the "stolen" tokens remained in the hackers hands, most of which have been sold now, but this chain claims immutability. I dont think this coin will ever come close to Ethereum because it lacks Vitalik (main core dev) and specifically 90% of the developer community, and by extension the vast majority of the Ethereum market.

11. Bitconnect - $121/BCC - $784 Million - do NOT under any circumstance invest in this coin. It is literally the definition of a Ponzi Scheme. Just watch a few youtube videos on it if you are in doubt. I fully expect this coin to crash and burn, it's only a question of when. Note the 3 letter abbreviation "BCC" is still being confused for Bitcoin Cash (BCH).

12. Monero - $47.64/XMR - $712M cap- A great coin, but lacks "multi-sig" (on roadmap), and smart contracts are not on roadmap. It is the #1 coin in privacy. All transactions after Jan 1, 2017 are considered fully ananymous - You can't tell who sent a transaction, to whom, for how much or even who has how many coins in their wallets. Everything is encrypted to the max. The 7 core Developers are top notch (5 of them are anonymous and at least some are suspect to have Phds in cryptography). I may diversify some into this down the road.

13. OmiseGo - $7.21/OMG - $708M cap- This is a very recent Ethereum token (not its own blockchain). Vitalik, Ethereum founder, parterned with the leader of OmiseGo to develop Plasma.io, a scaling solution for Ethereum. OmiseGo will be the first to implement it. Specifically this coin was launched by an already fairly successful remintance business in Asia, and so this combination made it explode in price. I dont own any and missed the boat on this. I dont know enough about this to speculate on its future.

14. Qtum - $11.34, $669M - This is the first (or one of the first) blockchains to have a PoW mining hash that is Quantum computing safe. That is, if and when we end up with real quantum computers, theory says that most blockchains hashing algorythms can be cracked, or specifically that somebody can dominate the mining of X blockchain and perform a "51%" attack, or just mine it massively for profit. Real Quantum Computers (not D-wave equivalents) are still thought to be 3-10 years away. That's plenty of time for any blockchain to fork and start using a hashing algorythm that is quantum computer safe... unless you believe that 3 letter agencies already have them and are secretly mining bitcoins etc so they can later take over the space /tinfoil hat off. I think its cool people are already working on this problem, but I dont see this being a threat in the next 3 years.

15. Stratis- $5.78, $569M cap - This is one of the few cryptos to outperform Ethereum. At one point it exploded by over 15,000%, nearly overnight! I totally missed the boat on this one. Had I caught 3 or 4 of these in a row I'd be a crypto billionaire by now *sigh*. I havent investigated this one in depth, only that it targets blockchains for Enterprises and I believe there were rumours it was making some partnership with Microsoft a few months back. Read more on the web: https://www.cryptocompare.com/coins/...at-is-stratis/

And that's the top 15 out of over 1,000 tokens. I probably understand in some good depth another 30-50 tokens, but dont have time to describe them all. I will just offer a few warnings on some other ones briefly:

Warnings:
                    Tether (USDT) - Be extremely careful in putting any money into this token if you trade on exchanges. There's been some analysis that claim this token that aims to retain 1:1 parity with the US dollar to have false injections of supply. More info here: https://cointelegraph.com/news/the-s...-it-isnt-money

Bitfinex Exchange - I suggest you do not use this exchange. It's already been hacked once and they did not figure out how the hack occured. Further through some accounting genius it managed to survive, but it is also associated with Tether and recently was in violation of a SEC announcement and is going to drop all its US customers within about 80 days from now.

Hardware Wallets - I very strongly recommend that if you have any significant amounts of investments in crypto currency whether now or in near future to keep them in a hardware walelt. Two trusted names in this space are Trezor.com and ledger.co.

Crypto Exchanges - Nearly every single exchange that's ever existed in blockchain-land has been hacked within a span of 3 years or less. People have lost thousands and even Millions. Lesson: Never keep your tokens on exchanges longer than you need to. Also please do some reading before just signing up with some exchange. Support is poor on some of the best of them, others have trading platforms that fail to execute trades under certain circumstances.

Main warning: It's the wild wild west out there. This stuff aint ready for mainstream so investor beware! As I said before, never invest more than you can afford to lose in this space. If you are losing sleep at night wondering about your crypto investments, you have invested too much and it's time to get out so you can sleep.

Good luck.
                    Last edited by Adeptus; August 18, 2017, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Alright, I couldn't resist. just to give you a sense of the insanity that is blockchain investing. Take a look at 2 of these Bitcoin price charts from my upcoming presentation. They cover price rises & crashes from 2010 to 2017. The charts on the first slide were derived from this sarcastic but funny youtube video that I recommend you watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbZ8zDpX2Mg

Cheers.

Comment

Adeptus: Thank you very much for your precise and clear explanation.
                        So; not "yet"?
                        Hope it comes soon. As for me, toe in the water for now.
                        Thanks again

Comment

Alright, I couldn't resist. just to give you a sense of the insanity that is blockchain investing. Take a look at 2 of these Bitcoin price charts from my upcoming presentation. They cover price rises & crashes from 2010 to 2017. The charts on the first slide were derived from this sarcastic but funny youtube video that I recommend you watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbZ8zDpX2Mg

Cheers.
                          Thanks Adeptus. I've mostly ignored altcoins but one thing I agree on: the crypto space is absolutely barmy, and seeing some insane growth.

I'm half-considering a change of career to be a bitcoin broker.
                          It's Economics vs Thermodynamics. Thermodynamics wins.

Comment

Thanks for the interesting posts Adeptus. Do you know how much you have invested in total and where you stand today if you were to convert to USD?

Comment

Originally posted by *T* View Post
                              Thanks Adeptus. I've mostly ignored altcoins but one thing I agree on: the crypto space is absolutely barmy, and seeing some insane growth.
                              I'm half-considering a change of career to be a bitcoin broker.
                              If you mean operating a Crypto exchange, there's over 100 of those around the globe. They are very hard to operate successfully. Over 40% of them get hacked and have to shut down within 3 years or less. Here's a list of 36 failed bitcoin exchanges (scroll down after you click for the list).

Many shut down during market downturns when trading volume dries up and your operating expenses remain the same. Still others suffer from the opposite problem. Crypto goes up 500% in a matter of weeks, and your infrastructure can't handle the load, or you have to onboard and KYC 10's of thousands of new users and don't have the staff to do that and can't hire fast due to extreme vetting required (many of the exchange hacks have been inside jobs).

Also you have to very carefully choose which country you operate in and which citizens of which countries you will allow on your exchange and which types of tokens you will allow to be traded (some are now considered securities) - this is because the regulators are coming (Regulator panel on crypto from Aug 22, 2017).

Still if you make it in the top 10 exchanges of the world, you can probably make $1M USD/day during the good times.

Lastly, a new threat is coming to crypto brokers - decentralized exchanges. If you want to play in this field, the safest highest margin thing to do would be to try to become a dark pool broker. Very few clients, extreme high trading volumes, lower risk. But you need a lot of good connections to make that happen.

Good luck.

PS. EDIT: I just found this chart today. Somebody's been tracking the regulatory rules on launching an exchange for each State. Different rules apply per state. It's a complete and utter mess/mine field trying to operate an Exchange in the USA... nevermind all the licensing fees and admin overhead to comply with all the different rules.

Source: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...=0&single=true

Comparison of State Digital Currency Regulatory Initiatives (Regulation Tracker) : Legislation or Guidance

Approach Definition of Covered Licensed Activities Exemptions for Multi-sig, software, non-financial, infrastructure? State Level AML Reporting Permission Required for Change of Business Permissible Investments, Bonding, Minimum Capital Requirements? Startup On-ramp Other Registration or Licensing Link to latest version. Legislation, Rulemaking, or Guidance? Status Updating Money Transmission or Digital Currency Specific
                              Coin Center Framework We prefer both (1) efforts to exclude digital currency activity from money transmission law via guidance as well as (2) new legislation tailored to digital currency technologies so that previous ambiguities in money transmission law are eliminated creating certainty for innovators. We do not prefer (3) legislative efforts that leave all substantive legal decisions to regulators or (4) efforts to craft virtual currency licesnses outside of legislation via rule-making or guidance. A business shall be found to be engaged in Digital Currency Transmission if and only if the business regularly and in the course of business has the ability to unilaterally execute or prevent a Digital Currency transaction on behalf of others. 1. developing, distributing, or servicing software;
                              2. contributing software, connectivity, or computing power to a Decentralized Digital Currency;
                              3. providing data storage or security services for a Digital Currency Business; or
                              4. engaging in otherwise qualifying activities undertaken for non-financial purposes, or that do not involve more than a nominal amount of Digital Currency.
                              Also need an exemption for persons acting on their own behalf if the law regulates exchange and transmission in addition to custody (as in the ULC model act).
                              None or mandated compliance with Federal Standards under the BSA None or Notification and Grace Period Permissible Investments for minimum capital requirement must include like-kind digital currency. Determination of bond amounts should not be entirely discretionary. Startup On-ramp. Businesses engaged in Digital Currency Transmission shall be exempted from regulation and licensure under this part if their oustanding obligations are under $5 Million, and they register with FinCen, and make consumer disclosure. Transitional period if threshold passed. Either (Registration Prefered) http://coincenter.org/2015/04/state-digital-currency-principles-and-framework/ Either N/A Either
                              ULC Model Regulation of Virtual Currency Businesses Act (draft) New Legislation (2 at the top), that treats digital currency specifically. Engaging as a business in virtual currency exchange, transfer, storage, or virtual currency administration, with definitions of these activities that focus on control of virtual currency. Control is defined as "power to execute unilaterally or prevent indefinitely a virtual currency transaction" does not include an entity who: "contributes connectivity software or computing power to a decentralized virtual currency, provides data storage or security services for a virtual currency business and is not otherwise engaged in virtual currency business activity on other persons’ behalf" (see definition of control for multi-sig exemption), "a person using virtual currency solely (A) on its own behalf, (B) for personal, family, or household purposes, or (C) for academic purposes, including creating, investing, buying or selling, or obtaining virtual currency as payment for the purchase or sale of goods or services" Compliance with BSA and Federal Law Notification of material change. No permissible investment requirements. Licesnsee is obligated to hold virtual currency it obtains control of for customers 1:1 and like kind as the property of the customer. A person whose virtual currency business activity with residents of the state is valued, in the aggregate, at less than $5000 is exempt from the act. A person whose activity is less than $35,000 can obtain a provisional registration with the state in lieu of a full license, but must also comply with certain requirements of the act. Licensing http://www.uniformlaws.org/shared/docs/regulation%20of%20virtual%20currencies/2017AM_URVCBA_AsApproved.pdf Model act to be adopted by state legislatures as they please. Finalized and Approved by the ULC Committee. Digital Currency Specific
                              California AB1123 (2017) New legislation (2 at the top), that treats digital currency specifically. (c) “Virtual currency business” means maintaining full custody or control of virtual currency in this state on behalf of others. Definition of "virtual currency business" includes "full control" which suggests that software and multi-sig would be excluded. Also has agent-payee and merchant-customer exemptions. No clear exemption for persons acting on their own behalf as in the ULC. Also: (h) A person or entity developing, distributing, or servicing a virtual currency network software.
                              (i) A person or entity contributing software, connectivity, or computing power to a virtual currency network.
                              (j) A person or entity providing data storage or cyber security services for a licensed virtual currency business.
                              None None Surety bond or trust account (amount and form at commissioner's discretion). Capital requirements do not list permissible investments. The bill would authorize a person or entity conducting virtual currency business with less than $1,000,000 in outstanding obligations and whose business model, as determined by the commissioner, represents low or no risk to consumers to register with a $500 license fee and, if approved, receive a provisional license to conduct virtual currency business. Licensing https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB1123&search_keywords=virtual+currency Legislation In committee in the Assembly Digital Currency Specific
                              California AB1326 (2016) New legislation (2 at the top), that treats digital currency specifically. (c) “Virtual currency business” means the business of offering
                              or providing the service of storing, transmitting, exchanging, or
                              issuing digital currency. Definitions of storing, transmitting, exchanging, and issuing are vague and fail to limit potential interpretation to custodians who pose real risks to customers.
                              No multisig exemption and the following exemptions may be confounded by the overbraod defintions of covered activities. 1. A person or entity contributing software, connectivity, or computing power to a virtual currency network.
                              2. A person or entity providing data storage or cyber security services for a licensed virtual currency business. 3. Transmission of digital currency where the transaction is undertaken for nonfinancial purposes and does not involve the transfer of more than a nominal amount of digital currency necessary to complete the transaction.
                              Compliance with BSA and Federal Law No pre approval or notification. Surety bond or trust account (amount and form at commissioner's discretion). Capital requirements do not list permissible investments. None Disclosure Requirements are Bitcoin-specific. Licensing (even though it is framed as "enrollment" http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/15-16/bill/asm/ab_1301-1350/ab_1326_bill_20160808_amended_sen_v94.htm Legislation Passed Assembly, Failed in Senate Digital Currency Specific
                              Connecticut New legislation that leaves substantive legal choices to the discretion of regulators. (3 above) "the transmission of monetary value in the form of virtual currency;" no specificity regarding what transmission looks like. None None No pre approval or notification. Surety Bond amount at discretion of commissioner. None Statute discriminates against digital currency businesses. Enlarging set of reasons a business may be denied license, allowing discretionary conditions on license, and removing limits for bonding requirement. Licensing https://www.cga.ct.gov/2015/act/pa/2015PA-00053-R00HB-06800-PA.htm Legislation Passed House and Senate, Signed into Law Updating Money Transmission
                              Georgia New legislation tailored to digital currency technologies so that previous ambiguities in money transmission law are eliminated creating certainty for innovators. Empowers regulator to create rules for all virtual currency businesses. No definition given. Definition of "virtual currency" excludes "software" and "protocols," but no clear statement of what business models are and are not covered. No multi-sig language, no non-financial uses language. None Specifics left to regulator, not covered in statute. Specifics left to regulator, not covered in statute. Specifics left to regulator, not covered in statute. None Specifics left to regulator, not covered in statute. http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/en-US/Display/20152016/HB/811 Legislation Passed House and Senate, Signed into Law. Law permits regulator to make new rules about digital currency. Not aware presently of any promulgated rules. Updating Money Transmission
                              Hawaii Regulator considers digital currency exchanges to be money transmitters but requires that they hold cash or other permissible investments (not including digital currencies) in an amount equal to the digital currency the company holds for customers. In effect this is an untenable 200% reserve requirement for any digital currency company. N/A (regulator insists digital currency companies already covered by money transmission law) N/A N/A N/A Regulator insists that licesnsee must hold cash or other permissible investments (not including digital currencies) in an amount equal to the digital currency the company holds for customers. N/A N/A N/A No formal guidance issued. Description of problem here: https://blog.coinbase.com/how-bad-po...i-ac9970d49b34 N/A N/A N/A
                              Illinois (Guidance) Guidance that excludes digital currency activities from money transmission. (1 above). Only two activities: 1. "Exchange involving both digital currency and sovereign currency through a third party exchanger is generally considered to be money transmission." and 2. "Exchange of digital currency for sovereign currency through an automated machine is generally considered to be money transmission." Note that automated machines that do not involve third parties, i.e. "configured to conduct transactions only between the customer and the machine's operator," are not egaged in money transmission. N/A (only deals with exchange activity) N/A (only deals with exchange activity) N/A (only deals with exchange activity) N/A (only deals with exchange activity) N/A (only deals with exchange activity) N/A (only deals with exchange activity) N/A (only deals with exchange activity) https://drive.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=https://www.idfpr.com/Forms/DFI/CCD/IDFPR%2520-%2520Digital%2520Currency%2520Regulatory%2520Guida nce.pdf Guidance In Effect. Interpreting Money Transmission
                              Kansas (Guidance) Guidance that excludes digital currency activities from money transmission. (1 above). Only virtual currency exchange involving fiat currency is treated as money transmission. N/A (only deals with exchange activity) N/A (only deals with exchange activity) N/A (only deals with exchange activity) N/A (only deals with exchange activity) N/A (only deals with exchange activity) N/A (only deals with exchange activity) N/A (only deals with exchange activity) http://www.osbckansas.org/mt/guidance/mt2014_01_virtual_currency.pdf Guidance In Effect. Interpreting Money Transmission
                              New Hampshire HB356 New legislation that excludes digital currency from money transmission. Excludes all transfers of funds via virtual currency from money transmission regulation. As an exclusionary bill, N/A. None None None As an exclusionary bill, N/A None None https://legiscan.com/NH/text/HB356/id/1073681 Legislation Passed House and Senate, Signed into Law Updating Money Transmission
                              New Hampshire HB666 New legislation that leaves substantive legal choices to the discretion of regulators. (3 above) No definition of virtual currency business. Adds virtual currency to the existing definition of “monetary value” None None No pre approval or notification. 100,000 Bond. Minimum assets equal to the lesser of outstanding transmission obligations or $1 Million. No permissible investment requirement (assume can hold as digital currency). None None Licensing http://www.nhliberty.org/bills/view/2015/HB666 Legislation Passed but now superseded by HB 356 Updating Money Transmission
                              New Jersey New legislation tailored to digital currency technologies so that previous ambiguities in money transmission law are eliminated creating certainty for innovators. businesses that "maintain custody" of digital currency. Custody is not defined. None None Notification of material change. None No but: 30 days to register & Registration rather than licensing makes it easier for startups to startup. 5. (New section) a. No person shall, without completing a registration as set forth in this act, engage in any digital currency custodial activity for more than 30 days. Only a person engaging in digital currency custodial activity as its primary business may complete a registration under this act. (Can be read to forbid digital currency custodial activity by businesses that engage in it not as a primary business). Registration http://www.scribd.com/doc/266842667/NJ-Digital-Currency-Jobs-Creation-Act Legislation Introduced in House. Failed. Digital Currency Specific
                              New York (Bitlicense) Rulemaking that crafts digital currency licesnses outside of legislation. (4 above) The definition remains too broad. The words “storing” and “holding” should be removed and “maintaining custody or control” should be defined as: “having the ability to unilaterally execute or prevent a virtual currency transaction.” Administering, controlling, and issuing a virtual currency should only require licensure if that currency is centralized by design. Has software exemption: "The development and dissemination of software in and of itself does not constitute Virtual Currency Business Activity." Has non-financial exemption: "transaction is undertaken for non-financial purposes and does not involve the transfer of more than a nominal amount of Virtual Currency" Exemptions remain insufficient. Business services, should be exempted. "Administration" "issuing" and "controlling" should not apply to decentralized currencies. Yes. SARs without lower bound, reporting all over 10,000, KYC and per-transaction record keeping obligations. IN FINAL DRAFT reporting and SARs equirements are waived if the company is "subject to . . . requirements under federal law." Our understanding is that all virtual currency custodians are subject to requirements under federal law, so it is unclear who would not be exempted. But if that is the case why bother having this requirements that would apply to no one? Per-transaction record keeping obligations apply irrespective of federal compliance, and therefore still consitute an entirely novel, state-level obligation on all bitcoin companies. Pre Approval of new products or material change to existing products. FINAL draft clarifies what consitutes these material changes but still mandates pre-approval. Surety Bond or Trust Account (amount at superintendent's discretion). Capital requirements that can be held in virtual currency. Transitional License at the discretion of the Superintendent. Transaction obfuscation prohibited. Licensing http://www.dfs.ny.gov/legal/regulations/adoptions/dfsp200t.pdf Rulemaking Finalized and in effect. Digital Currency Specific
                              North Carolina FAQ (Guidance) Guidance that excludes some digital currency activities from money transmission. (1 above). Money Transmission FAQ says: "The NC MTA defines “money transmission” as the “act of engaging in the business of receiving money or monetary value for transmission within the United States or to locations abroad by any and all means, including payment instrument, wire, facsimile, or electronic transfer,” and further defines “monetary value” as a “medium of exchange, whether or not redeemable in money,” virtual currency is within the scope of the NC MTA." FAQ exempts Miners, Multi-sig, Non-custodial wallets, and bitcoin 2.0 (non-financial uses) None None Existing statutue has a surety bond minimum is $150,000 can be maxed to $250,000 at discretion of the Commissioner. Permissible investments do not include like-kind digital currency. FAQ does not mention whether permissible investments would be interpreted/expanded to include digital currency. None Licensing http://www.nccob.gov/Public/financialinstitutions/mt/mtfaq.aspx Regulatory Guidance (non-binding) Live on website. Interpreting Money Transmission
                              North Carolina H289 / S680 New legislation tailored to digital currency technologies so that previous ambiguities in money transmission law are eliminated creating certainty for innovators. Money Transmission is defined to include:
                              maintaining control of virtual currency on behalf of others.
                              Has only an exemption for agents of licensees. None No pre approval or notification. Surety Bond on schedule with amount transmitted, maxes out at $250,000. Minimum net worth. Permissible investments include like-kind digital currency. None None Licensing http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2015/Bills/House/PDF/H289v3.pdf Legislation Passed House and Senate, Signed into Law Updating Money Transmission
                              North Dakota New legislation calling for a study of virtual currency in order to better determine how to proceed. N/A (bill only called for a study) N/A (bill only called for a study) N/A (bill only called for a study) N/A (bill only called for a study) N/A (bill only called for a study) N/A (bill only called for a study) N/A (bill only called for a study) N/A (bill only called for a study) https://legiscan.com/ND/text/2100/2017 Legislation Failed to pass. Interpreting Money Transmission
                              Pennsylvania New legislation tailored to digital currency technologies so that previous ambiguities in money transmission law are eliminated creating certainty for innovators. No definition of "digital currency business" digital currency merely added to definition of "money" and "electronic transfer" added to definition of "transmission instrument." Has only an exemption for agents of licensees. None No pre approval or notification. $500,000 "Tangible" (?) net worth requirement. 1 Million dollar bond. None None Licensing http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/Legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=PDF&sessYr=2015&sessInd=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=0850&pn=1029 Legislation Introduced in House then amended to remove all mention of virtual currency. For virtual currency purposes this act is no longer relevant. Updating Money Transmiss

Last edited by Adeptus; August 25, 2017, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X