Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pssst! Here's a Hot Tip... Oil is Going UP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pssst! Here's a Hot Tip... Oil is Going UP!

Oil is about to go up. Why, you ask?

Four years ago in anticipation of PCO I bought a fuel-efficient little Hyundai Accent. Oil went down.

I've grown tired of idiots in big cars cutting me off in traffic like I'm not even there. Decided if I can't beat 'em, join 'em (the big cars, not the idiocy). Today I bought a 2008 Crown Vic P71 with a big, honkin' V8 engine and a CHROME SPOTLIGHT!

Given my impeccably wrong timing when it comes to buying and selling PM's, oil is going to go up any minute now. But I'm happy because my insurance costs are going to go down bigtime, and people drive really, really politely around Crown Vics.

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Re: Pssst! Here's a Hot Tip... Oil is Going UP!

shiny!

Oil isn't going up, only gas

I'm sure there's a reason

Comment

Originally posted by shiny! View Post
      ....bought a 2008 Crown Vic P71 with a big, honkin' V8 engine and a CHROME SPOTLIGHT!....
      people drive really, really politely around Crown Vics.
      oh yeah they do...

is that the 'interceptor' model?

the model names have been changed to protect the innocent... (but the eqpt list remains the same...)

Originally posted by don View Post
      shiny!

Oil isn't going up, only gas

I'm sure there's a reason
      yup - its called 'opening weekend of the summer drive-athon season'

Comment

Gas prices never go down as fast as they go up, do they?

Yes, it's a police interceptor -AKA- P71. Compared to the regular Crown Vic/Grand Marquis, the P71 has a beefed-up suspension and frame mounts, a bigger alternator, and special coolers to keep all the fluids from overheating. Most police and highway patrol P71s are pretty basic, but this was a federal car so it's full of bells and whistles (our tax dollars at work).

It has 8-way power adjustable front seats, power pedal adjusters, cruise control, traction control and side airbags (you'd think side airbags would be standard in 2008, but they weren't). It has 117,000 miles and low idle hours. The paint has flaked off in a few places because Ford can't seem to make a white paint that doesn't flake, so I might get it painted at some point. It's very clean inside. Even the windows all work. When you consider Ford's window motors that's a minor miracle right there.

I'd forgotten how fast these cars are! I barely touch the gas pedal and it wants to fly. It's gonna take a little time and a lot of caution to get used to so much power again. It's like going from a Shetland pony to a Thoroughbred.

And the lighter works just fine ;-)

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

Gas prices never go down as fast as they go up, do they? ....
          cept fer last winter...
          its kinda funny how all the chattering class was positively bubbling with all 'the good news' about the drop (as low as 1.58 at costco during the holidaze) and how it was going to cause all sorts of virtuous circle activity - 'like a raise in pay' etc etc ad nauseum - but now, as the prices have shot right back up ?

was also kinda funny seeing the spread tween costco's price and the street - was upwards of 40cents (at my winter haunt) - highest eye'd ever seen it
          (why methinks costco wasnt having a very good xmas season, so they dropped their margins at the pumps to loss-leader levels to juice the EOY numbers??)

I'd forgotten how fast these cars are! I barely touch the gas pedal and it wants to fly. It's gonna take a little time and a lot of caution to get used to so much power again. It's like going from a Shetland pony to a Thoroughbred.

And the lighter works just fine ;-)
          hows the MPG ?
          rented a CV a couple years ago ('but i reserved an econobox, what in hell is THIS') and was somewhat pleasantly surprised that i managed to get appx 20 (on a 115mi open road jaunt)

gotta luv these land yachts tho - they really are fun to take out on a long cruise (preferably when someone else is paying for the gas)

if'n i didnt have to watch every dime these daze, i'd have me a suburban or gmc's version, the yukon...
          Last edited by lektrode; May 25, 2015, 10:52 AM.

Comment

20mpg is about average. My old '86 CV got 19mpg in Albuquerque at 5000 feet, 20mpg at lower altitude. My '95 Grand Marquis averaged 19-20. I think these newer ones do a little better. Quite a few people report 19-20 mixed and 25 hwy. A lot has to do with your tires and the way you drive.

I thought a fuel-efficent car would save me money so I got the least expensive, most fuel efficient little car I could find, the Hyundai Accent. But fuel is only part of cost of ownership. C&C insurance is ridiculously expensive on the Accent because it's so easily and extensively damaged. High insurance ate up any savings from the gas pump.

In my old CV which wasn't worth enough to carry C&C, I once had to jump a high curb avoid a speeder. Hit the end of a cinderblock wall which broke apart and fell on the car. The hood got such a slight dent you could barely see it. I drove to a shop to check the wheel and alignment. It was perfect.

Another time I was rear ended at a stop light by a Blazer going about 30mph. It pushed the bumper in but didn't hurt the body of the car. The bumper had compression springs inside. My husband popped it out with a crowbar and it was good as new. That old car looked like cr*p but drove like a dream and never needed any expensive repairs. Once you drive away from an accident that would total a car with unibody construction, you realize that in spite of low MPG, the CV saves you money.

if you're considering an SUV, Crown Vics have as much room as a lot of SUVs, better gas mileage and drive a whole lot nicer. They're the only cars rated to survive a 75mph rear impact. They're easy to work on and parts are dirt cheap. You can buy decent used ones for $3000-$4000.

Comment

Here you go shiny. This 2007 Police Interceptor is available right there in hades for under $5,000...tempting.

In this Ford Crown Victoria, you have the classic ingredients of the American automobile: size, V8 power, and four doors. This All-American 2007 Crown Vic offers plenty of interior room,
              a comfortable ride, and excellent crash-test ratings. Get ready for great acceleration with this 4.6L V8 engine. The nice, tight steering makes our smooth shifting automatic quite maneuverable for a big car in
              city traffic, but you may want to hang on with two hands on the freeway at full speed. This Rear Wheel Drive Crown Vic offers plenty of get up and go! They just don't build them like this anymore - it is so
              reliable and the ultimate in comfort on long distance road trips. This P-71 trim package adds leather upholstery, an in-dash CD player, and steering wheel-mounted controls to an already long list of standard
              features. OK, the trunk...and what a trunk! Does your other half want to buy a truck to haul things? Well, this Crown Vic's trunk is HUGE. Heck, you could put your spouse AND your mother-in-law in there.
              (Not that we suggest it.) With room for up to six occupants, safety features aplenty, a well-cushioned ride and a silence-is-golden acoustic experience; our Crown Vic has plenty to offer big families.

Comment

Yep, looks just like mine :-)

Comment

Yep, looks just like mine :-)
                  do you have a siren?

Oops, you are a siren!

Comment

Originally posted by don View Post
                    do you have a siren?

Oops, you are a siren!
                    a 211 in progress...

Comment

Thanks, Don. You made my day :-)

Comment

Here's an update:

I sent the car to a good mechanic to get it checked out. He just called with the verdict. According to him, my car is "mechanically sound," the engine and tranny are "really strong" and it's "definitely worth keeping."

That's the good news.

The bad news is all the little things to make it totally healthy. None are dire emergencies, but they'll need doing soon. Rear shocks, rear differential fluid, power steering fluid, serpentine belt, new battery and an injection service to clean all the carbon buildup out of the system. The last will improve the mileage. That, and a set of new tires (which can't wait) @ 650 installed. Cooper CS5 Grand Tourings.

I don't want to worry about anything breaking down so I just said, 'what the hell, do it.' But OUCH!

Cost of car, tires and repairs: $5710. That's $700 more than I wanted to spend, but it's a fair price for a solid, reliable vehicle. I have the feeling this car's going to take good care of me. Gonna give Beepi.com a whirl to sell my Accent.

Comment

Originally posted by santafe2 View Post
                          I'd snap that up for $5K so fast it would make your head spin - if it wasn't such a hassle to get across the border and certified

I've driven more than a few of these, with my Brother-in-law, the OPP Commander drinking beer next to me on some pretty remote Northern Ontario two-lane highways. If I told you what I had it up to on "The Flats" ... you'd call me a liar.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiat Currency View Post
                            ....I've driven more than a few of these, with my Brother-in-law, the OPP Commander drinking beer next to me on some pretty remote Northern Ontario two-lane highways. If I told you what I had it up to on "The Flats" ... you'd call me a liar.
                            not me FC...

like... maybe thru.. uhhh... Kapuskasing ???

eye been there, dude!

after departing from blueriver (bc) and runnin the icefields pkwy over to banff and onto the TC, headed for montreal (and down into NH) - and rolling thru endless pinetrees - for what seemed like about 1000 miles - and i do mean NUTHIN but pinetrees - like..
                            no signs, no streetlights, no mailboxes at end of driveways, NUTHIN but the whiteline on the pavement and snowbanks 10ft high on both sides - no side streets, no gas stations, no 7-11's - you get the idea...

we finally come into this town - that, after driving for about 2 daze straight - see the now entering sign - and like... WOW!
                            a sign! whoa.... CIVILIZATION

and get to thinking..

how DO ya pronounce the name of this buggah anyway?

is it... cah-PUSS-cah-sing.. ???

or what?

finally get into 'downtown' and LOOK!

THERE'S A MICKY-DEE'S !!!
                            and not a second too soon, either - its early morning and have been driving all night long = HUNGRY + THIRSTY - not too mention with a 'full tank' (of... uhhh... used beer.. if ya know what i mean...)

pull up to the counter, order breakfast and JUMBO javas and when the transaction is complete - ask the girl..
                            'how do you pronounce the name of this place, anyway?'

and she looks at me kinda funny for a sec and thinks for another sec and sez...

'uhhh... McDonald's ?'

and i about wet my pants from laughing - leaving her mystified for a few seconds - until i say - no, the name of the town we're in!

ya had to be there...

anyway... thats my remote ontario story

Comment

Originally posted by lektrode View Post
                              and she looks at me kinda funny for a sec and thinks for another sec and sez...

'uhhh... McDonald's ?
                              That's hilarious!

Comment

Working...
                              X