Quote Originally Posted by jk View Post
woodsman, i have a great deal of respect for you and your knowledge, and i am often in agreement with the things you say.
Same here, JK.

it was only your name as the op that finally got me to open this thread, which i have been deliberately avoiding. i was avoiding it because i thought it was likely just another left-right ideology contest. unfortunately i was correct. i read the first few posts here and then decided not to bother with the rest.
I think that's a great idea. I encourage everyone to do just that.

perhaps you find these exercises amusing or entertaining.
Immensely.

certainly no one's mind is changed by these debates. at least i don't recall anyone ever saying s/he'd had an epiphany and changed position on an issue. do you?
Generally, it's not possible to change someones mind. No matter how absurd the proposition and regardless of the quality of argument, if the information proffered doesn't square with prior beliefs, the information is discarded. That's axiomatic. I wish it were not so, but there is.

Besides, I've said this on multiple occasions. I have no interest in changing anyone's mind. Do you?

so why not save your energy and your time to focus it on threads which are less purely ideological? your knowledge of history might then provide more light than heat.
Nah, I'm good. But I appreciate your thoughtfulness.