Must have been a big snowstorm...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must have been a big snowstorm...

...in Boston. EJ's locked inside and back on the 'Tulip. Nice to have you and your insights back Boss!

Re: Must have been a big snowstorm...

Originally posted by GRG55 View Post
    ...in Boston. EJ's locked inside and back on the 'Tulip. Nice to have you and your insights back Boss!
    +1
    was indeed a beaut of a storm - even if it didnt quite happen the way the wx channel and the rest of the disaster mongers were hyping it (read: it didnt paralyze manhattan)

by the looks of the stats, Mr J might still be out shoveling:

...MASSACHUSETTS...
    AUBURN 36.0
    HUDSON 36.0
    LUNENBURG 36.0
    CLINTON 34.1
    ACTON 34.0
    LITTLETON 34.0
    CHELMSFORD 33.8
    FRAMINGHAM 33.5
    DRACUT 33.0
    WESTFORD 33.0
    TYNGSBORO 32.5
    WORCESTER 32.0
    METHUEN 31.5
    SOUTH BOSTON 31.0
    WEST HARWICH 28.5
    SHREWSBURY 28.4
    KINGSTON 28.0
    NORTHBORO 27.0
    OAK BLUFFS 27.0
    BOSTON 26.0
    EAST FREETOWN 26.0
    EAST BOSTON 1 N (AIRPORT) 24.6
    with 20 or so up at my old stomping ground

Comment

Looks like it's relentless in Boston. I just read a brief article that the transit system doesn't expect to fully return to normal service for 30 days; and that was qualified with the assumption there will not be another storm during that time.

In the meantime, the freezing level at Whistler/Blackcomb is headed to 3500 meters, about 1300 meters higher than the top of the mountain, while here on the lee side of the Rockies there's almost no trace of snow left after an unusually warm January that completely melted the ice rink on our pond.

Comment

Originally posted by GRG55 View Post
        Looks like it's relentless in Boston. I just read a brief article that the transit system doesn't expect to fully return to normal service for 30 days; and that was qualified with the assumption there will not be another storm during that time.

In the meantime, the freezing level at Whistler/Blackcomb is headed to 3500 meters, about 1300 meters higher than the top of the mountain, while here on the lee side of the Rockies there's almost no trace of snow left after an unusually warm January that completely melted the ice rink on our pond.

Snow is higher than the 36" regulation size croquette mallets I forgot to bring in.

Snow banks so high they cave in on themselves.

That's zero without the wind chill.

Our first roof-to-ground icicles.

Everyone is exhausted and grumpy. But the weather has been more than inconvenient. Dangerous, too.

The auto body shop lots are full to capacity with wrecked cars. There was a 20-car pile up on the highway near us yesterday when wind blew snow off a reservoir and created a sudden whiteout. Fortunately due to the safety features of modern cars there were miraculously no serious injuries. We take it for granted but 30 years ago such a crash put most if not all of the victims in the hospital or worse.

Last week Mrs. iTulip was rammed up onto a guardrail by a teenager, likely texting while driving too fast on the snowy highway. Rail ripped open her gas tank. The harrowing violence of the crash was compounded by the risk of fire. She's physically alright but the trauma of the experience has been very hard on her and overshadowed the event of the founding of virZOOM, Inc. But life throws such trials our way and we cope with them as best we can.

We can hardly wait for spring.

My idea for a hot selling New England bumper sticker.

Comment

It's all that danged global warming. You can have all that snow.

Seriously, EJ, give my regards to your dear wife. That must have been terrifying!

If you can get to a healthfood store, or if Amazon is delivering in that mess, or whenever you can, get her a bottle of Rescue Remedy. Shake it up, put about 4 drops into a glass of water and have her sip it throughout the day. It does wonders for residual trauma. "Science" calls it a placebo effect because they can't figure out its mechanism of action, but I've seen it clear trauma within minutes, even when given months after a traumatic event.

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

Trauma can cause more long lasting effects than minor body injuries. Hopefully your wife will feel better soon.

Support to all in the Boston area and others in neighboring states going through this dangerous winter.

Comment

Originally posted by EJ View Post

Snow is higher than the 36" regulation size croquette mallets I forgot to bring in.

Snow banks so high they cave in on themselves.

That's zero without the wind chill.

Our first roof-to-ground icicles.

Everyone is exhausted and grumpy. But the weather has been more than inconvenient. Dangerous, too.

The auto body shop lots are full to capacity with wrecked cars. There was a 20-car pile up on the highway near us yesterday when wind blew snow off a reservoir and created a sudden whiteout. Fortunately due to the safety features of modern cars there were miraculously no serious injuries. We take it for granted but 30 years ago such a crash put most if not all of the victims in the hospital or worse.

Last week Mrs. iTulip was rammed up onto a guardrail by a teenager, likely texting while driving too fast on the snowy highway. Rail ripped open her gas tank. The harrowing violence of the crash was compounded by the risk of fire. She's physically alright but the trauma of the experience has been very hard on her and overshadowed the event of the founding of virZOOM, Inc. But life throws such trials our way and we cope with them as best we can.

We can hardly wait for spring.

My idea for a hot selling New England bumper sticker.
              I'll have to get some of those for us here in DC. You might have heard about the terrible blizzard we just suffered through. Four, in some places even six inches!!

The horror, the horror.....

Comment

I find myself less and less patient with winter each year... and I live in South Louisiana!

Comment

Originally posted by davidstvz View Post
                  I find myself less and less patient with winter each year... and I live in South Louisiana!
                  One inch on the ground and the schools close here (South Carolina). Good thing, because people don't have snow tires, don't know how to drive in snow, etc. However, the day care is closed and taking care of an 18 month old really eats into my work schedule.

Comment

Yeah, if we get any snow or ice on the ground, it's basically the apocalypse. Personally, I'm just tired of cold air and gloomy skies.

Comment

the ultimate definition of IRONY?

(being from new england) head for the rockies for the snow and be faced with a decision of going to NH for a ski vacation...

Comment

The pile of ice in front of Niagara Falls looks like it's about 125 feet high... I would not want to be downstream when those ice blocks start moving.

Comment

Originally posted by shiny! View Post
                          It's all that danged global warming. You can have all that snow.

Seriously, EJ, give my regards to your dear wife. That must have been terrifying!

If you can get to a healthfood store, or if Amazon is delivering in that mess, or whenever you can, get her a bottle of Rescue Remedy. Shake it up, put about 4 drops into a glass of water and have her sip it throughout the day. It does wonders for residual trauma. "Science" calls it a placebo effect because they can't figure out its mechanism of action, but I've seen it clear trauma within minutes, even when given months after a traumatic event.
                          Thanks shiny! to you and all who have expressed encouragement to my wife. It means a lot to her.

She's the get-back-on-the-horse type and was on the freeway today if only for a few exits and in a mammoth 4WD rental.

I'm starting to understand why these huge vehicles are so popular. Mass is a reasonable defense against the carelessness of others.

Comment

Originally posted by EJ View Post
                            Thanks shiny! to you and all who have expressed encouragement to my wife. It means a lot to her.

She's the get-back-on-the-horse type and was on the freeway today if only for a few exits and in a mammoth 4WD rental.

I'm starting to understand why these huge vehicles are so popular. Mass is a reasonable defense against the carelessness of others.
                            We are all very relieved to hear she came out of this reasonably well EJ.

Whatever she was driving (Bimmer? Ford?) it was engineered well and did its job of absorbing the energy and sacrificing itself to protect the occupant.

Nevertheless, it's difficult to argue with F=ma :-)

When we moved to the Persian Gulf I rented a BMW sedan on arrival (plentiful and cheaper to rent than a VW New Beetle, go figure). After watching the insane Saudi drivers for a few days I decided Mrs. GRG55 needed the biggest, heaviest, tallest and most reliable vehicle I could rationalize...the order for the Toyota Land Bruiser went in later that week.

It'll be interesting to hear what your wife decides for a permanent replacement after this experience.

Comment

Originally posted by davidstvz View Post
                              Yeah, if we get any snow or ice on the ground, it's basically the apocalypse. Personally, I'm just tired of cold air and gloomy skies.
                              I've emailed Ottawa and told them its time to cross the frozen St Lawrence and invade New England so Canada can reclaim our lost British heritage lands. You winter wusses down there, huddled around the wood stove, wouldn't stand a chance against our state of the art military hardware...

Canadian military testing new $620,000 ‘stealth’ snowmobile for clandestine Arctic operations

The Canadian Press has learned that soldiers have taken the new hybrid-electric snowmobile prototype on trial runs to evaluate features such as speed, noise level, battery endurance and acceleration.

Comment

Working...
                              X