Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New York back to the 70's?

jk is offline Shadow Fed, iTulip Select Member, The Brain

Default Re: New York back to the 70's?

don't collapse decades in describing the evolution of the cold war. the theater intermediate range missiles [ss20 and pershing] were much later [2 decades if i'm not mistaken] developments than the jupiters in turkey which inflamed khrushchev to the decision to place missiles in cuba.

and again, "team A" - that branch of the gov't tasked with evaluating the threat AT THAT TIME, were right AT THAT TIME! some people didn't like that assessment, though, for a variety of reasons both political and economic. there is no hindsight involved in saying that the official assessments were that the ussr was not an existential threat to the u.s. yes, there were proxy wars fought along the periphery, but the never a central, existential threat.

and the european theater was clearly a stalemate.

from the wikipedia article on the fulda gap:

The concept of a major tank battle along the Fulda Gap was a predominant element of North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) war planning during the Cold War, and weapons such as nuclear tube and missile artillery, the nuclear recoilless gun/tactical launcher Davy Crockett, Special Atomic Demolition Munitions, theAH-64 Apache attack helicopter, and A-10 ground attack aircraft were developed with such an eventuality in mind.

note the multiple mentions of tactical nukes. i won't repeat the argument i made above about the significance of that. i'm not saying that there was no reason for the u.s. military build-up; that shadow-boxing was the central feature of the cold-war.

so i'd say there was no existential threat to the u.s., and i'd say the u.s. government knew that at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jk View Post
    don't collapse decades in describing the evolution of the cold war.

weapons such as nuclear tube and missile artillery, the nuclear recoilless gun/tactical launcher
    Davy Crockett, Special Atomic Demolition Munitions,

decades between above and below here too ;)

as well as the far bigger gap of nuclear versus conventional deterrent

the
    AH-64 Apache attack helicopter, and A-10 ground attack aircraft

so i'd say there was no existential threat to the u.s., and i'd say the u.s. government knew that at the time.
    Looks like a situation of "agree to disagree".

Where I will concede is that the disruptive threats to the state of the late 60's/70s in the US would likely have not been perceived as serious as those facing Western Europe(which stretched WELL into the 80's).

Maybe it's a question of relative political participation/action between the US and Western Europe that seems to exist to this day.

Coups on the periphery of Western Europe(Portugal and Turkey), Aldo Moro kidnapped and executed, Olof Palme assassinated, and broader/deeper clustered attacks of political violence.

The velocity and magnification of instantaneous internet news today makes one wonder if what happened in the late 60's/70's in the US and 70's/80's in Western Europe repeated today, it would be FAR more exciting than the current level of "excitement" we've experienced in the last decade plus.

Hopefully events in France don't represent a data point in a return to another period of political(as well as ideological) violence, but I reckon that's what we may be seeing.

Not in an existential sense from a western short attention perspective, but maybe more along the lines of very long term financial and ideological "terraforming".

jk is offline Shadow Fed, iTulip Select Member, The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by lakedaemonian View Post
    Looks like a situation of "agree to disagree".

Coups on the periphery of Western Europe(Portugal and Turkey), Aldo Moro kidnapped and executed, Olof Palme assassinated, and broader/deeper clustered attacks of political violence.
    thos coups were right wing and military. hardly relevant to the question of "an existential threat" to the u.s. and yes, there was banditry and terror by left-spouting groups in europe, by the political system and governance was never in doubt. a policing problem, not an "existential" problem, for democratically elected governments.