Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Real Deal? Or just another ploy to win votes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Real Deal? Or just another ploy to win votes?

I will always have my doubts about Rand Paul (because of his profession as a politician), but he will probably be the first person to earn my vote. Consider this: he is working, as a legislator, to reclaim the power of the legislature from the executive branch!
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/24/us...isis.html?_r=0

Presidents and future Presidents tend to seek to increase the power of their office or prospective office, not to limit it. I do not know of the likelihood of its passage, but this measure sets a strong precedent away from unilateral war via executive action and towards putting more politicians' skins in the game when it comes to war. Proposing this declaration of war is something a true believer in the Constitution and its role as the supreme law of the land would do, and I for one hope that that is the sum of motives for it because this proposition is also what would be done by someone attempting to appear as a true believer in the Constitution.

Time will tell, and maybe eventually a more responsive legislature can revisit the War Powers Act and all of the other abdications of legislative authority passed over the years to cede power to the executive branch. I can dream, can't I? I hear there's amnesty for dreamers...

Re: The Real Deal? Or just another ploy to win votes?

This is good. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Working...
    X