Veronica Mars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veronica Mars

I started watching this show last week. I'm a few episodes away from finishing the first season. And it is absolutely delightful. Everyone turns in strong performances. And the story is great. Kristen Bell as the teenage sleuth delivers in spades!

Re: Veronica Mars

It's fun. And now there's a movie coming out.

Comment

It's a great show. Wish it had gotten more seasons. Buffy and Veronica Mars really helped pave the way for strong, well-written female characters.

Looking forward to the movie. They funded it with Kickstarter!

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

Originally posted by shiny! View Post
        It's a great show. Wish it had gotten more seasons. Buffy and Veronica Mars really helped pave the way for strong, well-written female characters.

Looking forward to the movie. They funded it with Kickstarter!
        Yeah, fuck how all the great shows get screwed over.

Comment

Are there any other shows with female protagonists that are written well like Veronica Mars and Buffy?

Comment

Originally posted by BadJuju View Post
            Are there any other shows with female protagonists that are written well like Veronica Mars and Buffy?
            Homeland

-> but it is not a comedy or sci-fi, - it has violence

Comment

Originally posted by shiny! View Post
              They funded it with Kickstarter!
              I've never seen it, but I have read about the successful kickstarter project to make the movie.

Same sort of disintermediation as with that new show with Kevin Spacey.

About 2 years ago I went to a meeting with a few young film school student filmmakers and a Kiwi chick in a senior role at YouTube and I got the real sense that there are some great opportunities in the democratisation and distribution of online media and its creation.

Everything from small business commercials that can go viral right up through the next ultra low budget internet generation version of Blair Witch Project.

Doing an "end around" the major studios and traditional mass media content distribution outlets might only take one thing…..quality.

Comment

Originally posted by aaron View Post
                Homeland

-> but it is not a comedy or sci-fi, - it has violence
                Thanks, good friend and fellow patriot.

Comment

Originally posted by lakedaemonian View Post
                  I've never seen it, but I have read about the successful kickstarter project to make the movie.

Same sort of disintermediation as with that new show with Kevin Spacey.

About 2 years ago I went to a meeting with a few young film school student filmmakers and a Kiwi chick in a senior role at YouTube and I got the real sense that there are some great opportunities in the democratisation and distribution of online media and its creation.

Everything from small business commercials that can go viral right up through the next ultra low budget internet generation version of Blair Witch Project.

Doing an "end around" the major studios and traditional mass media content distribution outlets might only take one thing…..quality.
                  Low budget movies built on good writing and acting rather than heavy special effects are going to be profit-makers. Independent filmmakers are starting to go this route without studio backing, but as megabudget films keep losing billions of dollars, the big studios will follow.

Joss Whedon has been a pioneer lately for making end-runs around the big studios (when he isn't making Marvel Avengers movies). He's made two quality films without studio backing. One he released over the internet, then on DVD. The other was bought by a studio and had a successful limited theater release. Both have been profitable.

The first was Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. It's a 45 minute musical. I think it was the first professionally made movie (as opposed to amateur videos) released on the internet. Whedon got the idea to make it during the writer's strike as a protest to the large studios that were screwing the writers. He filmed it on a shoestring budget in five days. He then shopped it around to the studios for release. He didn't like how they wanted to market it so he retained ownership and released it serially over the internet for free. That was a first. Then he put it on DVD for sale. It's been a great success.

Then he made Much Ado About Nothing, also self-financed. Filmed it in secret over twelve days at his house. That one did get bought by a studio and had a limited theatrical release. There really isn't much of a market for black-and-white Shakespeare movies nowdays, but because it cost so little to make it made its money back and turned a profit quite quickly.

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

Working...
                  X