Far More Important Than The Fomc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Far More Important Than The Fomc

Talk about unfair. How is a programmer supposed to make more using this information?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/artic...20-000007.html

And speaking of the last lap for Bretton woods, as long as it's not the last lap dance I'm fine with it.

Re: Far More Important Than The Fomc

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    Talk about unfair. How is a programmer supposed to make more using this information?

You might not make more, but you could spend less. Stop spending your time and money in strip clubs.

Comment

From the article:

Miller links the wage fluctuations to changes in body odor, waist-to-hip ratio, and facial features.
      The first might be possible although the scientific basis behind human pheromones shows weak, if any, possible effects.

I don't see how waist/hip ratios and facial features change that much pre/post fertility in the female cycle though.

Sounds like pseudo scientific psyke crap to me.

As a test, I also look at my personal experiences.

The females in strip clubs also exhibit much higher than normal degrees of breast augmentation. I don't see this taken into account in this 'scientific' study, and breast size is definitely one area where studies have shown that there is an impact on dancer income.

Of course several of these studies also noted that the personalities associated with surgical modification also tend to be more 'service' oriented...

Comment

Originally posted by c1ue View Post

Of course several of these studies also noted that the personalities associated with surgical modification also tend to be more 'service' oriented...
        I think all the handwringing over changes in our economy is mistaken. I, for one, applaud our transition to a "service" based economy.

Comment

Originally posted by Andreuccio View Post
          I think all the handwringing over changes in our economy is mistaken. I, for one, applaud our transition to a "service" based economy.
          While I obviously meant that as a joke, upon reflection it might not be that funny. We might be headed to just that point for many of those who will be left behind by this economy.

Comment

none of your GFs ever mentioned "water retention?"

Interesting thing on some medical boards I lurked on a while ago when I thought I might need dialysis.
            Females would diet for a long time and experience no loss, then up to 5 to 10 pounds in one or 2 days.
            Males reported the same effect (no loss then a significant and fast loss) but rarely for more than 5 pounds in a 1 to 2 day "flush". This is well into an established diet, not an "initial carbohydrate and fluid loss" you sometimes hear about.
            Point being, I used to hear the words and it meant nothing to me in real terms - It just had never occurred to me that a 120 lb, tiny woman could retain 10 lb of water.

I don't see how waist/hip ratios and facial features change that much pre/post fertility in the female cycle though.

Sounds like pseudo scientific psyke crap to me.
            the word you're looking for is psychobabble. Used to be popular in the times of Wayne Dyer & others. Seems to have declined in usage, despite being more needed than ever

As a test, I also look at my personal experiences.

The females in strip clubs also exhibit much higher than normal degrees of breast augmentation. I don't see this taken into account in this 'scientific' study, and breast size is definitely one area where studies have shown that there is an impact on dancer income.

how would artificial breasts cause an almost- monthly variation though?
            Last edited by Spartacus; December 12, 2007, 04:24 PM.

Comment

I've never even been to a strip club, let alone had a 'lap dance'. How square is that? :confused: Must be something wrong with me as neither of the prospects seem too interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Lukester View Post
                I've never even been to a strip club, let alone had a 'lap dance'. How square is that? :confused: Must be something wrong with me as neither of the prospects seem too interesting.
                Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Comment

LOL !! Jerry Seinfeld !

Comment

The question at the thread's start was "It's unfair ... how is a programmer supposed to ..."

this thread is supposed to be about equal employment opportunities and evolutionary biology/psychology, not (necessarily) about prurient interest (not that there's anything wrong about that)

Comment

Aha! Well, then I did a reasonable impersonation of a 'forum pidgeon' - dropped in, read a couple of prurient sounding posts at the end, dropped my little poopy comment, and flew away ... (to tell you the truth the latter comments sound vaguely more interesting than the former - "equal opportunity as it relates to evolutionary biology / psychology"? Uhm ... don't really know anything about it! )

<< This forum was supposed to be about ... equal employment opportunities and evolutionary biology/psychology >>

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus
                        how would artificial breasts cause an almost- monthly variation though?
                        That is a conundrum.

However, I would also point out that females don't all have their cycles at the exact same time. In fact, there is considerable variance depending on degree of social contact.

Yes, wierd, but science has shown that females in close proximity do tend to wind up synchronizing cycles, but I don't think dancing 2 or 3 nights a week qualifies. Unless they're doing shower scenes... :p

This also jibes with my experiences when I was a naughty single man...

Comment

Originally posted by Lukester
                          Nothing wrong with never having been to one.

I cannot say that, but then again I can say with conviction borne of experience that it is the most ridiculous waste of time and money imaginable.

Unfortunately, in my previous life associating with geeks, later financial dorks, it was the primary mode of male bonding and male customer entertainment.

I even wound up having to violate my rule of never going to such an institution in the city where I lived...

Comment

I cannot say that, but then again I can say with conviction borne of experience that it is the most ridiculous waste of time and money imaginable.
                            I disagree. I once knew a girl who gave $1000 (this was about 20 years ago, so, what's that, about $10 million in today's money?) to buy a turtle from a fortune teller. She bought the turtle to help her win a beauty contest. Don't ask me how it was supposed to work.

I'd say strip clubs rate a close second, though.

Comment

Working...
                            X