• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ericsson on E-money, E-funding and E-reputation

* Your Pictures have been digitized
    * Your Music has been digitized
    * Your Video has been digitized
    * Your identity (facebook/linkedin) has been digitized
    * Your Phone calls have been digitized (VoIP)
    * Your Books has been digitized
    * Your thoughts have been digitized (twitter)...

Next up: The emergence of E-money, E-funding and E-reputation

Warning: Network Engineer talking economics!

Re: Ericsson on E-money, E-funding and E-reputation

The world they speak of...so interlinked, so visible, so trackable in real time to provide a level of trust between people that one can monetize sounds well enough, but they didn't mention what could happen with cyber bullying and cyber stalking. Until they create this new digital currency of reputation, I do not think they can have any idea of how to cope with the threat of so much information being public property, and by then, the dangers will be very great, and many a reputation in shambles.

I am very open with myself, and have little concern for what people think of me because I sense no danger in sharing the information that I do. It does not affect me in anyway that I can see.

Once my ability to survive can be marred by someone not liking me because I had a bad day or moment in their presence is a very scary thought.

Having a rating system for a product you provide is good idea, presuming one can be standardized so that personal emotions are kept out of them. Most reviews that I read online for products are usually helpful because they are relating their experience, and are honest about their emotions, why they like something, or do not. However, products do not elicit the response that personal contact with another human does.

Thus service reviews of other people's behavior, or performance of a task might be less easily characterized. What happens if you dislike the person, but the task was performed brilliantly? How would that affect someone's reputation? And what about telling both sides of each transaction? How can that be included?

Having a rating system for a particular public reputation that follows a person forever is not something that sounds at all welcome. Having honesty in one's personal identity is a hallmark of reputation, and needing to preserve that personal reputation would seem to create a need for a false public persona, which is directly contradictory to reputation in the first place.

Credit Scoring came about in just this manner, but was merely a formation of a single number to express credit worthiness based on past behavior. Yet to this day, the owner of the score has the ability, if they keep good records, to prove a good track record regardless of whether the current score enumerated is an accurate representation of their history. But how do you track, and record and refute other people's judgement of your character?

What I see here is the need to document your every move and calculate your every decision to create a life story you can prove to others as necessary. It isn't bad to need to walk and talk carefully because you are overheard in public. People should be polite, and careful of one another in a civil society. But documenting your every move to be able to contest someone's personal judgement of you sounds horrendous and much to be avoided.

As for digital money transactions only, the last time I mentioned on iTulip that cash was going to be come non-existant one day soon I was pretty much told not to worry about such fairy tales. But it's happening, and will one day be upon us.

Once everything is digitized, computer linked and networked...well, all you need is a power failure due to terrorist activity (or government manipulation) to disrupt everyone's lives. I don't think I'll like that much either.

It makes me glad to be entering the last quarter of my life, and to not be required to fight through too many more sets of changes in order to compete for a few crumbs of the economic pie.

Comment

Working...
    X