Coda - Widespread Consumer Wireless power by 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coda - Widespread Consumer Wireless power by 2015

No more annoying phone chargers, taking batteries in and out of devices to recharge them, and no more even thinking about recharging. Use your MP3 player at any time, it's always charged up. Imagine going to your local coffee shop or airport with your laptop and cell phone, and being able to sit anywhere and your devices are constantly being recharged. It actually even works over Wifi (2.4Gh or 5.x Gh) spectrum, and currently has a radius of 30 feet for 1 watt of continuous power (aprox 1/3 of USB power charging). There's obviously room for improvement, but great start.

Cota, will be bringing the Tesla's magic of wireless power to consumers by 2015! It is currently in a functional prototype stage as demoed in this video. Man, this is one company IPO I'd seriously consider - if they even need IPO money.

Full article:http://tinyurl.com/cotawirelesspower(redirect to: techcrunch.com)
    Warning: Network Engineer talking economics!

Re: Cota - Widespread Consumer Wireless power by 2015

Does the technology exist yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest View Post
      Does the technology exist yet?
      This is an area where I have a certain level of expertise. If I were a potential investor in Cota I'd focus my first technical due diligence efforts on WiFi and Bluetooth interference issues and power limitations imposed by FCC regulations of the spectrum.

WiFi is a microwave spectrum radio technology that operates at the same frequency as a home microwave oven. In fact a slightly leaky home microwave oven will jam your home WiFi signal.

WiFi Jammers
      with output power of only 4 watts will jam WiFi signals up to 35 meters.

A Cota emitter is essentially a very small, leaky microwave oven. The receiver converts the signal into electrical energy to charge mobile device batteries.

Cota operates on the same frequencies as WiFi. It is unlikely that it can emit enough power to deliver 1 watt at 30 feet and also not jam WiFi signals.

If the power is weak enough to pass FCC regulations it may not be strong enough to deliver a meaningful amount of power.

Also, not sure where Hatem Zeine holds patents on the technology. The only U.S. patents that are assigned to Hatem Zeine are NEWS RECAPPING and Hyperlink Destination Visibility.

Anyway, if doing due diligence I'd start there.

Comment

Originally posted by EJ View Post
        This is an area where I have a certain level of expertise. If I were a potential investor in Cota I'd focus my first technical due diligence efforts on WiFi and Bluetooth interference issues and power limitations imposed by FCC regulations of the spectrum.

WiFi is a microwave spectrum radio technology that operates at the same frequency as a home microwave oven. In fact a slightly leaky home microwave oven will jam your home WiFi signal.

WiFi Jammers

A Cota emitter is essentially a very small, leaky microwave oven. The receiver converts the signal into electrical energy to charge mobile device batteries.

Cota operates on the same frequencies as WiFi. It is unlikely that it can emit enough power to deliver 1 watt at 30 feet and also not jam WiFi signals.

If the power is weak enough to pass FCC regulations it may not be strong enough to deliver a meaningful amount of power.

Also, not sure where Hatem Zeine holds patents on the technology. The only U.S. patents that are assigned to Hatem Zeine are NEWS RECAPPING and Hyperlink Destination Visibility.

The company I work for is attempting to implement wireless networked LED bulbs, and the interference, cross talk etc is proving to be a considerable technical challenge, especially when trying to create mesh networks and inter-bulb communications ( granted this is a very different application, but the technical challenges given the existing and growing RF field use are not trivial).

Unrelated, would be interested in your views on how the liquidity generated by central banks is currently enabling private equity investment. Anecdotally, my firm is able to continue to get injections from PE firms even though current invested capital exceeds $250m, revenues are declining and time to EBITA positive continues to always be 3 fiscal quarters away. Additionally, high yield debt at 12% seems readily available; that's a great return for investors but the risk of liquidation is not insignificant, so am wondering if this is similar to "subprime" to wit an investment bank underwrites the high yield note, collects the fees and then securitizes and offloads to some pension funds w/o regard to the business viability.

Comment

EJ's comments are actually quite valid. The Wifi spectrum tends to be quite polluted, especially the 2.4Gh range, and especially in urban areas or large condo complexes where anybody can see 10-40 other Wifi signals, to say nothing of trying to connect at dinner time when everyone turns up their microwaves. Cisco has actually implemented "rogue" detection in their $1,000 Enterprise level access points, precisely to attempt to work around this. The WiFi frequencies are actually divided up into small chunks and a smart Wifi router (not your typical home one, but enterprise level ones) can actually "frequency hop" to find a less saturated channel and to try to work around these kinds of issues, but again, if you happen to be in an urban condo type situation, even that may not help you... then imagine in ~5 years when/if this Wifi channel wireless power technology gets popular and each person has 3-5 of these devices in their home x 4 neighbours around your condo, and good luck with that, although Cota says their wifi signal is only 30 feet (for now), as opposed to 100-300 feet for wifi (802.11b/g & n respectively).

That said, I think this technology could be so ground breaking as to have the FCC equivalent's of each country allocate a small part of the massive, but very lucrative at auctions spectrum (warning 4 MByte JPG file), to this technology - assuming of course, there is sufficient available space not already sold to or used by other critical functions, and assuming any available/unused space is actually useful for wireless power from a scientific perspective. FYI, wall-permeating parts of the spectrum tend to be in the low GHz and MHz ranges, hence why Radio (AM/FM), Cell phone frequencies and Wifi are all in this range. So this part of the spectrum is considered premium from an allocation and auction perspective.

I'm very glad EJ has expertise in this area, if this technology does manage to take off, I'm looking forward to investment ideas, as this has the potential to be a global game changer.... or as they say in the tech industry... "disruptive".

WiFi Jammers

Warning: Network Engineer talking economics!

Comment

thanks Adeptus, very interesting item here - one thing i'm wondren about is what'll happen when the anti-everything brigade starts to get wind of this - considering the alarmist's POV on other things in this 'spectrum' (pun intended) like electro-mag 'pollution' from high-voltage transmission lines, celtels and this sort of thing - with the old cliche of 'dont watch yer microwave oven while the food cooks'...

Comment

...... The only U.S. patents that are assigned to Hatem Zeine are NEWS RECAPPING

and Hyperlink Destination Visibility.
              Originally posted by appft.uspto.gov
              Hyperlink Destination Visibility

Abstract
              Various embodiments utilize page scripting and parsing to identify the target destination of a hyperlink and provide a visual indication of the destination to the user without causing redirection to the target destination. In some embodiments, hyperlink color, highlighting, or icons are used to indicate the destination. Particular colors and/or icons selected to indicate the destination can, in some embodiments, be selected based on the domain hosting the target destination. In at least some embodiments, the destination of a link is determined by the page script run by a web browser on a user's device, while in other embodiments, information is transmitted to a web request handler on the server hosting the web site to determine the destination.

Mr J - does this mean that he has a patent on The Mouse-Over Function that causes a URL to display on the bottom of the browser (Firefox, nee netscape) window??

Comment

WiFi Jammers

Thank you, EJ ... a fascinating idea.

Comment

Hype-o-matic.

Here's a picture of the transmitter that was able to get an iDevice charging light on:

Seems like plugging in would be simpler.

The power transmitted also doesn't equal the power received - at EJ notes, the frequency in question is the one used by microwave ovens. If the base device can transmit 1 watt at 1 meter, then 1 watt received at 10 meters is 100 watts transmitted.

How many people want a low powered microwave oven powering their cell phone?

Not I.

Comment

Originally posted by c1ue View Post
                    Hype-o-matic.

..... If the base device can transmit 1 watt at 1 meter, then 1 watt received at 10 meters is 100 watts transmitted.

How many people want a low powered microwave oven powering their cell phone?

Not I.

i dunno - if one needed a little late afternoon snack, it might come in handy....

Comment

Working...
                    X