Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Movies: Where are the Women?

Originally posted by shiny! View Post
    I love the books! Is the TV series good?
    This is a profoundly anti-women show. My wife refuses to watch it. I can kind of see why. It is however a very well done series. You might like reading the books better.

Comment

Originally posted by globaleconomicollaps View Post
      This is a profoundly anti-women show. My wife refuses to watch it. I can kind of see why. It is however a very well done series. You might like reading the books better.
      My wife and I are huge fans of the Agatha Christie Miss Marple series, which is the ultimate rarity -- a strong *elderly* woman. The Joan Hickson ones are the best IMO. Can be downloaded off Netflix.

One of my favorite actresses is the incomparable Katherine Hepburn -- I can't think of anyone close today.

Regarding Game of Thrones, my wife was appalled by the early ones because of the level of violence against women. I recently showed her some of the later shows showing how these same women had overcome those early situations. She was interested, but not sure if she'd ever want to watch (she sees enough violence and death in her real job).

Comment

She was interested, but not sure if she'd ever want to watch (she sees enough violence and death in her real job).
        Is
        she a law enforcement officer? My wife was back in the late 70s and early 80s before working for our DA. Our city (Hickory, NC) is quite different than it was then, but still she dealt with a lot of difficult situations.

Comment

Originally posted by jiimbergin View Post
          Is
          she a law enforcement officer? My wife was back in the late 70s and early 80s before working for our DA. Our city (Hickory, NC) is quite different than it was then, but still she dealt with a lot of difficult situations.
          No. She works in International Development -- usually working the hellholes of the world. She was in Pakistan after the quake there, way up in Bin Laden-land [note: soon after this the entire WorldVision staff in the capital was executed by Muslim extremists, the worst one-time NGO death toll I believe]. Another time she was in Haiti, came down with cholera (we think).

Lately she's running a micro-finance organization (Five Talents) that works with people in the far wilds (usually where other microfinance organizations have no interest because it's not profitable enough). Just came back from South Sudan and Burundi. In South Sudan she had to travel with bodyguards.

Comment

Originally posted by jpatter666 View Post
            My wife and I are huge fans of the Agatha Christie Miss Marple series, which is the ultimate rarity -- a strong *elderly* woman. The Joan Hickson ones are the best IMO. Can be downloaded off Netflix.

One of my favorite actresses is the incomparable Katherine Hepburn -- I can't think of anyone close today.

Regarding Game of Thrones, my wife was appalled by the early ones because of the level of violence against women. I recently showed her some of the later shows showing how these same women had overcome those early situations. She was interested, but not sure if she'd ever want to watch (she sees enough violence and death in her real job).
            GEC and jpatter: Thanks for the heads up about the violence in Game of Thrones. I'm ultra sensitive to graphic violence or scary scenes in movies; it triggers my PTSD. I'll stick with the books. Is that next book ever going to be done???

Katherine Hepburn was one of my favorites as well. She's one of only two famous people for whom I've cried at their loss, the other being Leroi Moore.

When she was 50 years old she taught herself to surf. She paddled out and tried to ride the board in over and over and over and over.... After struggling with it all day she finally managed to stand up on the board and ride it in all the way. She stepped off the board, jammed it into the sand and said, "There. I've done it!". Then she walked away and never surfed again.

And speaking of Katherine Hepburn... if you liked Spencer Tracy, you will love Nathan Fillion (Firefly, and Dogberry in Much Ado).

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

I'm starting to feel like im the youngest guy on itulip, haha

Comment

No. She works in International Development -- usually working the hellholes of the world. She was in Pakistan after the quake there, way up in Bin Laden-land [note: soon after this the entire WorldVision staff in the capital was executed by Muslim extremists, the worst one-time NGO death toll I believe]. Another time she was in Haiti, came down with cholera (we think).

Lately she's running a micro-finance organization (Five Talents) that works with people in the far wilds (usually where other microfinance organizations have no interest because it's not profitable enough). Just came back from South Sudan and Burundi. In South Sudan she had to travel with bodyguards.
                What a wonderful organization and I love where the name came from! You are blessed to have such a fine woman as your spouse!

Comment

Originally posted by verdo View Post
                  I'm starting to feel like im the youngest guy on itulip, haha
                  Don't let your age keep you from dipping into the classics. We're fortunate to have nearly a century of films available for viewing.

(Agree with you on Thrones - one of our weekly favorites. The explicit violence is never gratuitous, always in context to the story.)

Comment

The word "awesome" is seriously overused to describe the mundane, but in this case it's just about the only word that's appropriate. Your wife is AWESOME!

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

Originally posted by don View Post
                      Don't let your age keep you from dipping into the classics. We're fortunate to have nearly a century of films available for viewing.

(Agree with you on Thrones - one of our weekly favorites. The explicit violence is never gratuitous, always in context to the story.)
                      If/When gold hits $10000/ounce and the dust is settling from the currency war's destruction, this will be the theme

Comment

I've told my wife about this thread and she has mentioned a short UK TV series she has been watching called Bletchley Circle.

A fictional story about some women that worked as codebreakers at Bletchley Park breaking German crypto during WWII(a truly vital job largely performed by women), stuck back in mundane post war housewife roles.

They go about trying to solve a series of murders based on their wartime skillsets.

Sounds well written/acted and reality based fiction.

My wife says it does a very good job of balancing the conflict of capable women pushing against social/cultural boundaries of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by lakedaemonian View Post
                          I've told my wife about this thread and she has mentioned a short UK TV series she has been watching called Bletchley Circle.

A fictional story about some women that worked as codebreakers at Bletchley Park breaking German crypto during WWII(a truly vital job largely performed by women), stuck back in mundane post war housewife roles.

They go about trying to solve a series of murders based on their wartime skillsets.

Sounds well written/acted and reality based fiction.

My wife says it does a very good job of balancing the conflict of capable women pushing against social/cultural boundaries of the time.
                          this is the only site i frequent that my wife doesn't hate.

Comment

Originally posted by metalman View Post
                            this is the only site i frequent that my wife doesn't hate.
                            Now there's a tag line I hadn't thought of for the site ... "It'll improve your marriage!"

Comment

Please tell me im not the only one who has seen the last episode of game of thrones in here!?!? I am just, speechless..

Comment

Working...
                              X