Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bonds:John Williams

You people and your hot states!

I want to move to move north to a city surrounded by mountains and forests where snow falls aplenty and the people are progressive in attitude. I'll build my little hobbit house (less than 300 sq ft) into a hill with it being mostly underground. And I would set up a little brewery, where I'd brew some fine dark beers and sell them. Gah... why couldn't I have been a good looking girl? I could have used that to get a sugar daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by shiny! View Post
      I'm thinking of moving back to Texas. No income tax is appealing, as is the arts culture in the Austin area and the Texas Hill Country. But the cockroaches! Why is it the states with no income tax have such huge frikkin cockroaches???
      The roaches here in Houston, Texas (I also seem to recall Austin having roaches of comparable sizes) can be quite large but if you hire an exterminator to spray your home once or twice a year, you'll never see a roach. The insecticides used nowadays are incredibly effective and an application typically costs in the range of $75 - $100. So all you have to do is cough up $200 per year and it's "Mission accomplished."

Comment

Originally posted by Milton Kuo View Post
        The roaches here in Houston, Texas (I also seem to recall Austin having roaches of comparable sizes) can be quite large but if you hire an exterminator to spray your home once or twice a year, you'll never see a roach. The insecticides used nowadays are incredibly effective and an application typically costs in the range of $75 - $100. So all you have to do is cough up $200 per year and it's "Mission accomplished."
        RoachPruf or diatomaceous earth does a good job as well. Look! I've gone and derailed another thread...

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

Originally posted by shiny! View Post
          Why is it the states with no income tax have such huge frikkin cockroaches???
          Tennessee has no income tax and no cockroaches (at least we never see any in clean houses) . . . .
          No hurricanes. Occasional snow. Relatively mild temperatures. Lots of farmers.
          The state is not in tornado alley, but we do get them.
          raja
          Boycott Big Banks • Vote Out Incumbents

Comment

Originally posted by raja View Post
            Tennessee has no income tax and no cockroaches (at least we never see any in clean houses) . . . .
            No hurricanes. Occasional snow. Relatively mild temperatures. Lots of farmers.
            The state is not in tornado alley, but we do get them.
            Yeah but you tax dividends and/or interest at a pretty high rate.

Comment

Originally posted by metalman View Post
              ej is the only one to call the recession on the button... a gold sovereign awaits the brain among us who can find a more accurate call...

I only missed the last recession call by one month, can I just get a silver eagle? ;-)
              http://www.NowAndTheFuture.com

Comment

Thanks, Raja. This is a good find. His historical understanding/narrative is consistent and coherent in a fashion disdained by the Fed folk (quelle surprise!), and I find missing here, probably with the exception of the estimable Bartman.

Comment

ok, i'll bite on this one - being somewhat experienced in cold vs hot climates, tax-friendly states and la cucarachas - my advice for the latter is simple -

buy the large size and put out at least 1 in every room - thats: EVERY room, with several in the 'hotspots' (kitchen, esp the undersink/dishwasher areas, trash etc - and gawd help ya if you have a 'compactor' - as those GD things are like the ole motel6 welcome/vacancy sign for em - get rid of it, if you have one - unless you like the roachs - but seriously, put out the combat and CHANGE THEM EVERY 3MOS - i mark em with date of install - and within 3-6mos, a year tops and the roachs will ALL be gone - wouldnt've believed it, had not seen it work for meself and work very well it does.

far as hot vs cold states - well.... i'm perty sure you've noticed my opinion on the best tax friendly state
                  and i can tell you plenty about where to NOT go if you'd rather not spend most of the day sweating, with FL being the top of that list, altho its genl'y nice enuf in the winter time.... and tho the weather is pretty good/mighty fine out this way most of the time - ok, the vast majority of the time, cept for maybe late aug thru mid-late oct, when the tradewinds slowdown/stop - and it gets kinda ugly when that happens - but the tax sitch isnt exactly 'paradise' here, esp if one is trying to run a biz - and altho property taxes are quite low (residential, commerch being quite high), the price of houses here is somewhat SHOCKING, esp considering what you get (for less than a million anyway) - and then theres the price of just about everything else (about double, at least it seems that way, most of the time) altho the 'sales tax' rate appears low (4.167 to 4.712% depending on island), the way it gets 'pyramided' up thru 'the foodchain' on everything makes it effectively much higher - and the income tax rate is quite high (altho not on pensions, yet...) and we just dont get very much in return for what we pay - and altho there's a lot of good things, all in all this place is just too phreakin expensive merely for nice weather - its just great if one can afford life on the 'gold coasts' - there's a book that explains it all nicely if you want to know more.

for my money, i happen to think the salt lake area of utah is looking very good these days - the climate is not too cold in the winter - with some snow in the valley, it doesnt usually hang around and doesnt stay below freezing for long - its proximity to truly 4season world-class recreational opportunities - and not too hot in the summer, low humidity in particular - quite low costs of living overall, low energy/food prices in particular, with reasonably affordable housing, taxes in the mid range and fair/good return for the taxpayers in the way of services, excellent roads/transportation systems - with a younger demographic base, great biz climate, with plenty of employment opportunity.

and the best part - at least for yerz truly - is that its centrally located to all of the best of the west - that and one need not be 'held prisoner/for-ransom' by the airlines and the TSA if one decides to go somewhere - with great highways, rail service etc - nearly everything within a 5hour drive (at 'cruising speed' of 80 or so and nobody cares how fast ya go ;)

Comment

My eldest son is hoping to go to U of Utah next year, we shall see. Utah is anice state, and LSC is a very clean city. Southern Utah is some of the nicest of the US, and the national parks down there are outstanding.

Personally I have always enjoyed the Western US, so cant imagine moving to the NE over the West. If I have to move East for sun and fun, then it is FL for me.

I wouldn;t rule out Texas either, but really love being near the water, so for TX it would either be Austin on the river, or somewhere like Corpus Cristy.

I really wish I could just move to San Diego, because that would be ideal, but I just don't like being raped for the beenfit of illegals and overpaid 'public servants'.

Comment

You call the next one that close and i'll send you some silver. Just PM me first!

Comment

Working...
                      X