Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Markets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Markets

This presentation is from Grant Williams of Things That Make You Go Hmmm...

Runtime: 29min.

Re: Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Markets

Good post. Sheeple mania, an expanded, low brow version of investors' bubble-mania, preys especially on the inherent acquisitiveness of women, keepers of the hearth, yearning for granite countertops. Or have 'we' moved on to the next must-have commodity . . .

Comment

Originally posted by don View Post
      Good post. Sheeple mania, an expanded, low brow version of investors' bubble-mania, preys especially on the inherent acquisitiveness of women, keepers of the hearth, yearning for granite countertops. Or have 'we' moved on to the next must-have commodity . . .
      Thanks don. I must add that EJ doesn't think Government Bonds are a Bubble (lack of incentives, no one is buying Gov. Bonds to be Rich etc.) and I must say that makes a lot of sense.

Of course EJ doesn't mean Bonds are not overpriced simply that they are not a government-sponsored bubble such as Nasdaq, Housing etc.

Comment

Originally posted by LargoWinch View Post
        Thanks don. I must add that EJ doesn't think Government Bonds are a Bubble (lack of incentives, no one is buying Gov. Bonds to be Rich etc.) and I must say that makes a lot of sense.

Of course EJ doesn't mean Bonds are not overpriced simply that they are not a government-sponsored bubble such as Nasdaq, Housing etc.
        That sounds right. Of course much depends on what level of government you're looking into. One rule of thumb is a 15% equity loss for every 1% rise in interest. This is a very raw rule of thumb but do you essentially agree. I'm not suggesting any rate increase soon, with ZIRP now pegged for 2015 (and beyond).

Comment

Originally posted by don View Post
          One rule of thumb is a 15% equity loss for every 1% rise in interest. This is a very raw rule of thumb but do you essentially agree.
          Don, using a calc. amortizer, it seems that a 1% decrease in rate is a bit south of a 15% drop in equity; more like 11%.

I.e. one can carry a 30 year $500K mortgage at 4% for $2,630 or a $450K 30 year mortgage at 5% for $2,617.

The delta between 450 and 500 is 11.11%.

Now I assume that all of this depends on the nominal interest rate i.e. 4% vs. 5%... In a high rate environment 15% vs. 16% the impact is obviously not the same due to compounding i.e. the i-rate gap widens to achieve the same effect.

Comment

Working...
          X